Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got my 1023E yesterday, and noticed inside the front rim was rubbed down to bare metal all the way around. It appears to be rubbing on the tie rod connecting to the hub. I am wondering if the wheel hubs are different than the 2305, and they are trying to use the same rims?

Possibly there is supposed to be a type of wheel spacer to give the relief needed to space the rim out an 1/8" without going to far that it would affect the mounting of the mower deck? I am waiting to hear back from the dealer to see what the fix might be, until then I will speculate....
Maybe a bulletin will follow.
Anyone else have their new machine yet?

·
Premium Member
6,593 Posts
Glad you could join the herd here at DT. I really think you are the first one to show up on the forum with a new 1023 or 1026 machine. The others are still waiting. Being the first you will be able to fill us all in on your experience. Until we get others on here with those machines you will need to rely on your dealer. Hopefully, others will be joining you here on the new model experience. Sorry I couldn't be of more help right now. Maybe you will need to check out JD Parts to see the assembly breakdowns. It is very helpful for stuff like this. Please keep us up to date.

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
I'm wondering if the wheels need to be reversed? Is there more offset on one side?

·
Administrator
17,506 Posts
Welcome to DT:yahoo:

As Randy wrote, you are the first one here that has one, sorry you are having issues already. I can only suggest you call the dealer immediately, and check the bolts to ensure they are tight.

·
Registered
490 Posts
Yes, I would check and see if the front wheel can be reversed. If I recall the 2210 cannot, they have them in the wide setting out of the factory. Your 1023E may be different though. If all else fails, contact your dealer and have them get everything fixed up for ya. Oh, and congratulations on the 1023E, i have yet to see one in person but they look good online. :good2:

·
Registered
81 Posts
Congratulations on your 1023E! Sorry to hear about your problem, keep us informed on the repair. I have a 1026R on order, looks like another two or three weeks before delivery. When you get a chance update us on your first impression, driving, hydraulics, mowing, etc.

Thanks
Joe

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
JD 1023 E & 445.jpg

Here is the new one with my old 445.

The wheels are in the wide position. As I said, I contacted my dealer this A.M. and am waiting to hear back.
I will be getting the loader and ballast box put on when they come in as well as the R4 tires.
This is a very well handling machine!
I haven't mowed with it yet, but look forward to it!
I'll keep updating...

·
Premium Member
971 Posts
Great pix, tnx! Putting the new next to a 445 really helps me get a feel for the size of these new beasts.

Good luck on the wheel problem.

Pete

·
Premium Member
6,593 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
You are not alone. I heard of the exact same problem that you described from a business associate of mine from New England. The dealer pointed out to him that the paint was worn off the front wheel in the same manner. This simply came from driving the tractor from the dealer's set-up shop to the front of the lot. His dealer suspected that there may be some difference in the wheel offsets.
He also added that the dealer mentioned that you should not slam the hood! If you let your hood drop from a decent height from the latch (standard operating procedure for many users), the single hinge on the hood allows the hood to flex side-to-side. The hood can flex to the point where the hood's catch can jump past the latch, preventing the hood from being opened. Then you have major issues.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yes, my wheels had the same amount of time on them as you described. From dealer shop into my trailer, then out of trailer and a few hot laps in the yard. Then I started looking it over and noticed the shiny wear ring all the way around the inside of the front rims (same on both sides). Still no word from dealer yet...
Hood is a little flimsy. I don't really care for the latching closure lock , but it stays up with a little flip bracket by itself when opened.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Update:

My dealer called and told me I will be getting new rims for the front of my tractor that are made for the 1023/1026.
I was mistaken when I said my wheels were in the "wide" position on the front. They are not. I saw the valve stems out and "assumed" they were wide without looking.
He said if they are mounted in the wide position they won't rub, and the newly designed wheels apparently can't be mounted narrow at all. I will be getting them installed with R4's on Monday.

Here are a couple of shots of one of the hills that I mow. It is steeper than it looks, and the 1023 handles it beautifully!

The 1023 mows really nice. I mowed a little over 5 hrs today. I think the tilt wheel and 1026 seat would be a nice improvement though.

mowing hill 2.jpg

Attachments

·
Administrator
17,506 Posts
Thanks for the update, glad the dealer had a quick resolution for you.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Update:

My dealer called and told me I will be getting new rims for the front of my tractor that are made for the 1023/1026.
I was mistaken when I said my wheels were in the "wide" position on the front. They are not. I saw the valve stems out and "assumed" they were wide without looking.
He said if they are mounted in the wide position they won't rub, and the newly designed wheels apparently can't be mounted narrow at all. I will be getting them installed with R4's on Monday.

Here are a couple of shots of one of the hills that I mow. It is steeper than it looks, and the 1023 handles it beautifully!

The 1023 mows really nice. I mowed a little over 5 hrs today. I think the tilt wheel and 1026 seat would be a nice improvement though.

View attachment 3052
Been watching your thread waiting to hear what the dealer came up with. Glad to hear it will be a easy fix, just wondering why the machine had the wrong rims to begin with. I am looking real hard at the 1026R, went and drove one today and was very impressed, so you can see why your little glitch had my attention.
Good luck with your new toy, I mean tool of the trade just in case you better half is reading the thread to...lol:thumbup1gif:

·
Registered
1 Posts
1026r

The 1026R I ordered should be in on Saturday! Can't wait to try out the quick attach mower and tackle this 3-4' forest I have growing in the back...
Also the loader will be quite handy at finishing up the landscaping and pushing snow in the winter.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The auto connect mower is quite awesome. You will love it!
We could start a survey asking "How many times did you take your auto connect mower on and off before you ever mowed with it?"
Not like I did, I'm just sayin'......

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well, the new "10" series rims with R-4's are on!
Now I will be putting this thing to work. It mows really nice. The R-4's do leave marks in the soft areas I mow, but I don't regret getting them over Turf's.

Thanks Kenny for the quick shipment of my bucket hooks. They are great!:thumbup1gif:

Here it is without the ballast box on.

1023 w loader and hooks.jpg

·
Administrator
17,506 Posts
Ballast box? You mean loader?No problem on the hooks, glad you like them.

·
Registered
771 Posts
Well, the new "10" series rims with R-4's are on!
Now I will be putting this thing to work. It mows really nice. The R-4's do leave marks in the soft areas I mow, but I don't regret getting them over Turf's.

Thanks Kenny for the quick shipment of my bucket hooks. They are great!:thumbup1gif:

Here it is without the ballast box on.

View attachment 3150
I see your are from wisconsin. I don't know if your have a set of turf tires to put on for the winter, from what I have read the r4s are not as good in the snow as turf tires ... I can say from years of pushing snow with my turf tires I wouldn't trade them for any other style of tread out there for mowing and or snow removal.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Ballast box? You mean loader?No problem on the hooks, glad you like them.
No I meant without the ballast box and with the loader. :eek:
I should've worded it differently, but I was in a hurry.

I liked the R-4's having 2 more ply than turfs, and better for playing in the dirt. I didn't think about them not working as well in the snow. Time will tell. I can always change them. I never had them before, and most of what I read, seemed to point toward the R4 being the better choice for overall use. :dunno:

As for winter use, I plan to use the tractor for clean up work mostly as I have a plow truck for the big stuff. If they give me too much trouble, I'll try chains.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts