Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here is a quick video of what I happens when I try to start her up. Below is a 10 second video I shot when trying to start her.

Any ideas welcome. [video]https://www.dropbox.com/s/h2ez6i951t4cfru/File%20Oct%2001%2C%207%2038%2028%20PM.mov?dl=0[/video]

·
Premium Member
10,067 Posts
At rest, with the key off it should show 12-14 volts. While you're turning the key to the start position and the engine is trying to turn over for that split second, see how low it drops. It shouldn't go below 8-9 volts. I suspect your battery has failed internally, it is likely to drop to 3-5 volts.

·
Registered
2,967 Posts
If your battery has gone bad you will see a big drop from 12 volts. If the voltage does not drop below maybe 9.5 - 10 then there is some other issue.

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
37,819 Posts
You are in good hands here alicat418. Welcome to GTT.

·
Premium Member
2,140 Posts
Agreed, sounds like a battery issue.

Reactions: KE8LW and Gizmo2

·
Registered
448 Posts
I also suspect you have a bad battery. You may want to just remove it and take it into the local autozone, sears or any automotive store that can load test the battery. Been doing this for awhile and the sounds like the battery voltage is falling below the needed reference 5V needed to run the computer controls.

Good luck.........

Reactions: BigJim55

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Okay so here are the test results. Battery is showing 10.5v when I attach the meter. When I turn the ignition it drops to for a second to 7.5 then stabilizes at 9.5v.

Thoughts on next steps?

Were you guys able to watch the quick video? Not sure if the instrument light pattern tells anything.

Really appreciate the help.

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
Okay so here are the test results. Battery is showing 10.5v when I attach the meter. When I turn the ignition it drops to for a second to 7.5 then stabilizes at 9.5v.

Thoughts on next steps?

Were you guys able to watch the quick video? Not sure if the instrument light pattern tells anything.

Really appreciate the help.
Bad battery. Should have roughly 2.1 volts per cell.

·
Registered
471 Posts
How old is your tractor? If its new with only 25 hours on it I would have the dealer take care of it. But with it dropping to 7.5 volts I would say its the battery as well.

Reactions: BigJim55

·
Registered
572 Posts
I agree the battery is suspect, could be a cell going bad on you. However, the voltage measurements you got does not eliminate the alternator altogether. Like 56FG said, if it dropped way low (under 5 volts), you definitely have a bad battery. My personal rule of thumb is: If the battery will not take a charge or the measured voltage under initial load is less than 66% of the static charge, the battery is shot.

If it was me, and I got the readings you did, the first thing I'd do is put a charger on it for 6 hours and see if the voltage comes up and will allow me to start the tractor. I'd also be checking for loose or corroded connections.

Before you plunk down $$ on a battery, take yours out and have it load tested. Most reputable places that sell batteries have a load test machine.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Not that this has anything to do with the tractor not starting.... but watching your video; it appears you turn the ignition key without allowing the glow plug to do it's thing first... and the light to go off. Is that the case? If that is a routine procedure of starting your tractor, is it possible that that could make the tractor start unecessarily 'hard' by not warming up the engine - - contributing to reducing the life of a battery? Probably not... but just wondering 'out-loud.'

·
Registered
448 Posts
Good job.. taking the necessary action in trouble shooting and replacing the battery.... Glad you updated us all - Carry on and get the green to work.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts