Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had a weird issue today. I was leveling some dirt and out of a sudden engine started "choking". Would not hold RPMs like injectors were clogged or something. Was weirded out by it since the tractor is still new. I could keep the throttle at max, try to backdrag with FEL and the engine would just die. The tank was 1/4 full. The filter looked just fine.
Engine temps were just fine. I went and had dinner (angry), came back, and it started up just fine.

·
Premium Member
Early 2017 Vintage 1025R TLB (260/H120)
2,110 Posts
Which filter? Under the floorboard or next to the engine? You're using diesel, yes?

·
Premium Member
18,244 Posts
Replace the baby filter under your left foot.

·
Registered
3,785 Posts
Change both filters and see what happens. It’s the one under the floor that seems to cause problems .

·
Registered
1,783 Posts
I'd bet $1000 it's the small filter under the floorboard. 10 gallons of diesel with ANY contaminant, crud, etc will plug that little turd. That is exactly how your engine is behaving. I went through this last winter. Now I keep 4 - 5 of those little filters on hand.
Also, a word of advice, use a funnel with a fine mesh screen to fill your tank. I catch junk out of every can of fuel.

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
Machine may be brand new, but no telling about the fuel quality or contaminants. Have the dealer take care of replacing the filter. You might as well take advantage of the warranty, though if it’s fuel you added it gives them a reason to balk - but I doubt they will since it’s a $5 part.

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
As others have said change your baby filter. It's a simple fix & you'll be back in buisness. Just make sure when you do you clamp the hoses off or you'll get a bath that you won't like.

Reactions: JR Diyer and Kbar

·
Premium Member
6,293 Posts
Mackford speaks wise words. Go to Harbor freight and get a couple of these
Glasses Hand Vision care Light Eyewear
And when you get your filter, grab a spare for times like this.

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
Automotive lighting Liquid Hypodermic needle Amber Circuit component

It is a filter used in many Deere applications. So it has connectors at either end sized for two dirrerent inside diameter fuel lines. Notice it has hose barbs at the middle of each projection. Cut off the smaller diameter ends, leaving the barbs on the fatter ends. You only need the larger diameter portions for your diameter fuel lines. The downsized filter will be easier to maneuver around and install. The clamps are sized for the fuel hose on the fat ends of the filter.

·
Premium Member
1,256 Posts
For less than $15, you can buy :

Mr. Funnel AF1CB Fuel Filter

I know they're on Amazon, but probably lots of other places, too.

This filter will remove dirt, debris, and even water from your diesel fuel. I use it when putting fuel into my tractor. Once a year, I drain the tank and then refill it through this filter. This gets all the water and crud out. Very inexpensive protection.

Keane

·
Registered
3,785 Posts
Should this be happening to a brand new machine?

Here is the video of how the RPMs were dropping Idle issues.mp4
No, but it’s very possible you some how got bad fuel. Could be a number of ways dirt got into the fuel. My thought Is change the fuel and air filters and see if that’s all it is before testing other things. 9 times out of 10 with these tractors it’s the filter under the floor. With only 10 hours the tractor should still be under warranty. But even so it only takes a few minutes to swap out the filters.

·
Registered
1,783 Posts
2 hrs is enough to clog the baby filter if you get contaminated fuel. 👍🏻
I had that filter clogged by a half-tank of bad diesel.

·
Registered
3,250 Posts
My two cents?
It seemed when you were pushing and back dragging that you were just loading the machine with hydrostatic demand and that's why the rpm's were dropping.
Were you in low range?

·
Premium Member
3,919 Posts
What range were you in H or L

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Had a weird issue today. I was leveling some dirt and out of a sudden engine started "choking". Would not hold RPMs like injectors were clogged or something. Was weirded out by it since the tractor is still new. I could keep the throttle at max, try to backdrag with FEL and the engine would just die. The tank was 1/4 full. The filter looked just fine.
Engine temps were just fine. I went and had dinner (angry), came back, and it started up just fine.
We get these same posts like clock work on this forum, and most of the time it's the filter under the floorboard. Change it and see what happens. It's cheap to try as the first thing on the list.

Reactions: kylew

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I was planning to replace the filter today but the tractor worked just fine after I started it in the morning. Tried the same tasks and had no issues with the engine. Going to replace it anyway next week

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
fer fun

WERE YOU IN H OR L...reading is fuN dimentaL.......inquiring minds want too know.

H is generally a No Go ..its there for travel.

If these had a 3 range ,,,,,medium would be usefull..H is not very often of any use.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts