Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So has anyone used the "cruise control" on the 1025/1026? I used it today while I was sweeping/dethatching the lawn. It worked pretty well, but I wasn't sure how to stop it. I haven't dug out the manual to see what it says but I used the brake pedal to stop it. When I did that though I got a pretty good squall of what sounded like heavy truck brakes. Not as long or loud though. Which made me wonder if that was the proper way to disengage the cruise. I know you can also push the drive pedal down and release it but that seems like not a good method.

Jeff

·
Registered
732 Posts
The cruise on the 1 series to me is just stupid. To disengage it, you first have to go faster then turn it off to stop. Almost hit a tree as I figured that out for the first time.
By just breaking you are stoping the tractor, but the engine wants to keep it going.

·
Registered
3,554 Posts
It's really no big thing, just "blip" the forward pedal to disengage. You can disengage on the fly and keep going or take your foot off and stop immediately. You do not need to "speed up", it requires very little forward pedal to unlock it... Yet another reason to read before you leap, a lot of times the owner's manual can prevent machine damage all by itself.

·
Premium Member
2,899 Posts
I like it on my 1026. However I need to lube the mechanism because I have to push it down as I touch the foot feed. I use it when mowing in open straight runs.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
This is definitely the only thing I've found that I could use the cruise for. When mowing I just don't quite have long enough runs to really mess with it.

Like Carvel, I had to manually press the slider down when I disengaged it using the forward pedal. Maybe I also need some spray lubricant on the mechanism.

Pressing the brake pedal definitely disengaged the cruise. I wasn't holding the brake against any continued efforts of forward motion.

I just looked up the manual on JD's site. Here is the excerpt:

Disengaging Cruise Control

The cruise control can be disengaged in one of two ways:

Depress brake pedal and push cruise control lever down.
Increase travel speed slightly and push cruise control lever down.

The weird thing is, I didn't have to push the lever down when I pressed the brake to disengage. Absolutely have to when pushing the forward pedal.

Jeff

·
Registered
2,502 Posts
I have found the cruise on the 1025r to be useless. My 4410 had automotive style cruise and I used it all the time.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have found the cruise on the 1025r to be useless. My 4410 had automotive style cruise and I used it all the time.
Yeah, other than the sweeping, where I need to go slow, I don't have a use for it. They should really call it what it is, which is a throttle lock.

Jeff

·
Premium Member
975 Posts
Tried it to see if it worked, and have not remembered its there when the opportunity to use it again presented itself.

They put it in a perfect place to grab when going for the brake lock. So Its grabbed inadvertently more often than I care to admit.:hide:

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
When I was tractor shopping cruise was a must have. Now that I have it, I don't use it as often as I thought I would.

I do use the cruise control for spraying. But that's about it.

I have never needed to push on the cruise leaver to disengage it. I just speed up or tap the brake.

·
Registered
3,554 Posts
Tried it to see if it worked, and have not remembered its there when the opportunity to use it again presented itself.

They put it in a perfect place to grab when going for the brake lock. So Its grabbed inadvertently more often than I care to admit.:hide:
Ain't that the truth! If I designed it the cruise would be the one further down towards the floor and the brake lock up where I didn't have to bend so far to release it. Which do we use more?

Now, this intrigues me:

"Increase travel speed slightly and push cruise control lever down."

Why should one have to "push the lever down"? Kinda seems extra work to achieve a smooth transmission controlled quick stop. Mine WILL disengage "hands free" by tapping the forward pedal and that's the way I want it to work. No fumbling for the flipper while trying to stop. In other words, mine works as a "one use then off", it won't remain engaged after a speed up. Safety!

·
Registered
892 Posts
Looks like I have it too. I just pick the right gear (1-8) and set throttle for speed. Letting the clutch back out is even my 'resume'. Sometimes the simple tractors work well too. ;)

But back on topic I know mine just barely jerks if the throttle gets bumped. I'd use that way to disengage versus loading up and wearing out brakes.

Jim

1 - 11 of 11 Posts