Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Replaced my fuel filters today. Boy that in line one is a treat to get at!

My sediment bowl had a spring and a red plastic washer at the bottom. Not shown in the manual - i assume to help ensure the filter does not get dislodged? I put them back in the way i found them but curious

PS: this is why you need to change your fuel filters:

·
Premium Member
12,769 Posts
Are you sure they are both actually dirty? Even assuming you were using dirty fuel it would be hard to imagine enough debris getting through the primary filter to plug up the secondary filter.

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
Those filters look awful...good thing you changed them but it looks like you store your diesel in your oil drain pan.

I have almost 100 hours on my 1025 and the filter elements still look like new.

·
Registered
2,858 Posts
Hi Hershmeister
Is that red ring a water indicator, when you see it rise in the bowl it indicates you have a water problem?:unknown:
Regards John
Yes.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Reactions: Marlin and pcabe5

·
Registered
112 Posts
Ok not wanting to start a debate over which additive is the best here..... We use BG DFC Plus All Season diesel fuel additive in every fill up with all of our diesel powered equipment. We buy it by the quart bottle at our local John Deere dealers. Just my 2 cents worth.

·
Registered
23,079 Posts
Tractor is garaged and fuel is used quickly - i'll keep an eye on them

Any idea on the spring and red plastic ring?
So you are more concerned with the little red ring than having water & algea in yout fuel system? Your tank and lines need cleaned out and a biocide added to your fuel.

·
Registered
23,079 Posts
Ok not wanting to start a debate over which additive is the best here..... We use BG DFC Plus All Season diesel fuel additive in every fill up with all of our diesel powered equipment. We buy it by the quart bottle at our local John Deere dealers. Just my 2 cents worth.
While having ANY fuel treatment is helpful that will not remove algea.

·
Administrator
18,319 Posts
Tractor is garaged and fuel is used quickly - i'll keep an eye on them

Any idea on the spring and red plastic ring?
The red ring is a "float" to indicate water in the fuel, and the spring keeps the filter element up tight to the top.

·
Registered
112 Posts
While having ANY fuel treatment is helpful that will not remove algea.
You need to use a good additive to prevent the algae. So yes you are correct once you have algae you need a product to kill and remove it from the fuel system.

·
Premium Member
1,130 Posts
My tractor came from the dealer when I purchased it with red dyed off road diesel . It took me about two months to go through the initial tank of fuel . When I put the first full tank of low sulphur diesel , the filter didn't appear to be red . It still looks like new . Also ironically enough the tractor starts better , no where near the amount of spitting and sputtering that it did with the dealer fuel in it . :dunno:

·
Premium Member
13,668 Posts
My tractor came from the dealer when I purchased it with red dyed off road diesel . It took me about two months to go through the initial tank of fuel . When I put the first full tank of low sulphur diesel , the filter didn't appear to be red . It still looks like new . Also ironically enough the tractor starts better , no where near the amount of spitting and sputtering that it did with the dealer fuel in it . :dunno:
It's all low sulfur 15ppm if it's sold as diesel, the dye is just that, dye.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
715 Posts
While water can come with the fuel, the most common mode of entry is condensation. Keep. The. Tank. Full. Especially in the summer when a high R.H. means a lot more water content in the air (90% R.H. in January if the average high is 24F is WAY less water). Also make sure the fuel cap seals well. If it doesn't, you'll get a lot more turnover of air than if the only means of air ingress is the vent.

Al

1 - 20 of 64 Posts