Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was looking at mower...seems to not mow level? In the front of mower there is a u shaped bracket that connects to mower deck on loop end and the other open end of u shape is connected to slots in front of tractor. There is one bolt sticking out near the deck. it is just hanging there with one nut and the other nut is gone. I don't under stand what this bolt does? And I have been mowing with it that way for I don't know how long. I saw a picture on here that looks like there is a spring connected in that area also and I have no spring? Advice of what to do at this point?
Hap

·
Registered
373 Posts

·
Administrator
17,957 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Wow that was fast...Anyone heard of the spring coming off? Or was it because the bolt fell out? I'm going to find a nut and "ball Park it" for adjustment I guess. until I have time to remove and do it right. Is spring needed when mounted? or is it for the attaching process? I may see if I can find a spring today at Hardware store. The JD dealer will be $25 I'm guessing.
Thanks
Hap

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok Read through the adjustment procedures...Do the anti scalping wheels contact the ground more than not? Seems if they are set at 1/8th clearance they will roll most of the time? So what percent of the mowing action should be full floating or rolling on scalp wheels?
Thanks
Hap

·
Administrator
20,677 Posts
Ok Read through the adjustment procedures...Do the anti scalping wheels contact the ground more than not? Seems if they are set at 1/8th clearance they will roll most of the time? So what percent of the mowing action should be full floating or rolling on scalp wheels?
Thanks
Hap
They will roll, it's ok, it designed to do that. Just get your 3/8" clearance set on flat and level ground, then mow and enjoy!

Attachments

·
Registered
3,554 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
OK...... how about a shorter Grass discharge chute? This thing seems to hang out there about a yard! Ideas or things you have done to yours?
Hap

·
Premium Member
1,626 Posts
OK...... how about a shorter Grass discharge chute? This thing seems to hang out there about a yard! Ideas or things you have done to yours?
Hap
I've seen people use a rope to pull it up to clear spots and also a bungee cord to just hold it up. For a while I left mine off. I have a mulch kit and you remove it once the mulch kit is on. I like the way it directs the discharge so right now I just mow around stuff with it. It is massive though....

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
RPM For 60D Mower

I can't find what the proper tractor RPM for the mower operation. Can some one stear me to correct speed.
Hap

·
Administrator
17,957 Posts
I can't find what the proper tractor RPM for the mower operation. Can some one stear me to correct speed.
Hap
Near full throttle. There is a mark on the tachometer that looks like a PTO shaft, at that engine speed the the rear PTO is running at 540, and the mid ar 2100 rpm.

·
Premium Member
1,788 Posts
When your deck is running, you should see a constantly changing number in a digital readout on the display panel. This is your PTO speed. It should run near, but not over 2100 rpm. I set it to the PTO mark on the tach and go (but I watch to make sure it stays under 2100rpm with wherever I have it set)

·
Administrator
20,677 Posts
The extra few rpm that the mid-PTO can get over 2100 at full throttle will not hurt your tractor one bit. In fact the few extra Rs will give you just a bit more blade tip speed and a better cut. I've been doing this for years, no issues. :thumbup1gif:

·
Premium Member
14,716 Posts
Like Kennyd stated there is a mark on tach . Look at 3200 RPM should see the symbol looking like a pto shaft.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Ok

Since this is new I ran it at what felt like a safe speed for new motor. About 1500...so I guess I will try more RPM...Seems to cut OK at about 1500!

Hap

·
Premium Member
1,788 Posts
Since this is new I ran it at what felt like a safe speed for new motor. About 1500...so I guess I will try more RPM...Seems to cut OK at about 1500!

Hap
Oh man - you've been running at 50%.....wait until you see how it cuts at full speed. Mine sounds like an airboat.

·
Registered
3,554 Posts
My 54D cuts 50% better than the 48C on the GX335. Sounds like the blade speed is way higher. What does our esteemed government feel is the top "homeowner machine" blade tip speed these days? There's about 10 years between the 2 decks.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts