Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
drove tractor to friends house a couple miles. I noticed that while keeping tractor straight my steering wheel turned full 360 degrees a little at a time, while bumping steering wheel left and right to maintain straight course. Is this normal
Thx

·
Premium Member
13,381 Posts
drove tractor to friends house a couple miles. I noticed that while keeping tractor straight my steering wheel turned full 360 degrees a little at a time, while bumping steering wheel left and right to maintain straight course. Is this normal
Thx
Yes, somewhat normal with hydraulic steering. That’s the reason a lot guys don’t like the spinner knobs, it never returns or stays in the same position.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
8,842 Posts
It is common for the tractors to "wander" on the pavement and they seem to need more steering input to keep them going straight than other purpose designed road driven vehicles. I drive my tractor on the local roads all of the time and its not simply point and go, it's a little adjustment here, another one there to keep it going down the road.

They also seem to notice the road crowns and the slope much more, especially with the narrow track and short wheelbase. If you have an implement on the 3 point hitch, it can make the tractor wander even more, depending upon the weight, etc. and if the implement shifts side to side on the hitch as the 3 point arms move side to side, which happens.

Always make sure to run your Hazard Lights whenever on the roads. With distracted drivers and the speed differential between your tractor and other road vehicles, many drivers aren't prepared for the nearly instant closing rate when they come up behind you. So make sure you are as easily seen as possible to remain safe. Yes, there is the slow moving vehicle sign, but sadly I bet 1 in 4 newer drivers doesn't even know what the symbol means..........

·
Registered
3,286 Posts
Yes, somewhat normal with hydraulic steering. That’s the reason a lot guys don’t like the spinner knobs, it never returns or stays in the same position.

Oh no, Pat. Don't start the spinner knob controversy again. :laugh:

·
Premium Member
12,253 Posts

WHO? WHO? Who don't like the spinner knob?

:laugh:

·
Super Moderator
2,240 Posts
Thx
If I got this right, the steering valve on the 1025 has free rotation, left to right, and only controls hydraulic oil out one port or the other when turned, and doesn't have a center position. It's not mechanically connected to the tie rods so it doesn't get feedback about the position of the front wheels.

Steering lock is achieved by the front steering cylinder, when it bottoms out left or right you can't turn it any further. Since the steering valve doesn't have a "center" it won't neccesarily return to the same position it was before you turned the wheels.

·
Premium Member
8,842 Posts
End result is same as my bass boat with hydraulic steering.
The steering wheel has no home.
Just like the old kids song where "the leg bone is connected to the hip bone", etc. etc. well, while humans are still physically connected, most new vehicles aren't, especially new cars. Remember how the steering wheel was bolted to the steering shaft, which was bolted to the steering box, which was hooked to the steering arms and tie rods which actually turned the cars wheels? Not necessarily the case anymore.....

Actually, its pretty terrifying when you think about how drivers in new cars really don't have total "physical" control over the vehicles steering, accelerator pedal position, etc. Instead, they are controlled by position sensors and computers. Welcome to technology........

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
You mentioned it turned a full 360*.....so It must have went the same direction slowly..??

Another member here had a similar issue a week or 2 ago.

It would turn both ways fine but took more turns to go left than it did right..iirc...concensus was the orbital valve is degrading.

See if it gets worse...your warrenty up??....its a spendy part and in a bad location .

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hi Duke

4.7 miles straight highway. noticed on the trip that wheel was slowly rotating clockwise. i was running against traffic because i live in south jersey and wanted to see traffic coming towards me. highway is crowned alot. i do believe if i run same route with traffic wheel would turn counterclockwise the same. BTW i have spinner and dont really care where it is still better than not:laugh:

·
Premium Member
13,381 Posts
4.7 miles straight highway. noticed on the trip that wheel was slowly rotating clockwise. i was running against traffic because i live in south jersey and wanted to see traffic coming towards me. highway is crowned alot. i do believe if i run same route with traffic wheel would turn counterclockwise the same. BTW i have spinner and dont really care where it is still better than not:laugh:
Check your state laws, here in NY you must travel with traffic and be in the lane, though most will run the shoulder.

·
Premium Member
251 Posts
Travel with traffic.

Let’s say you are traveling at 10 mph and traffic is going 40; with traffic the net speed difference is 30mph, against traffic the speed difference is 50mph. By traveling with traffic, you are:

1. Providing more reaction time to your fellow travelers.

2. Correctly displaying your slow moving vehicle sign.

3. Reducing net kinetic energy should there be an impact by 277% (50^2/30^2).

4. Following the law.

I use a mirror mounted on my loader frame to watch traffic behind me.

·
Premium Member
975 Posts
Encountering a tractor running against traffic would be a new experience for me. :unknown: And at over seven decades that don't happen too often.
Drive in Jersey once....:mocking:

·
Registered
359 Posts
It certainly doesn't LOL! But the suicide knob is a must!

It is also known as a Brodie Knob for you history folk.
When I was a tadpole in the late '50s, my uncle Louie had one on his Mercury, and he would let me "drive" every once in a while, sitting on his lap. We just called it a spinner knob back then.

I've heard it called a squirrel knob in days gone by. I guess because you can drive squirrely with it? Not sure where I first heard that, ...maybe just a local name for it.

Suicide knob
Knuckle buster
Granny knob
Necker knob

1 - 16 of 16 Posts