Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So it took me a while since I'm new but i think i figured out how to post my ?.
I have a 1025. I found a 48" tiller from a John Deere 430 garden tractor. Will that fit my 1025 and will it hold up? there is no slip clutch, but clutches are like $100. I am thinking this tiller should be worth under $1000 does that seem appropriate? I do not have the money for a JD 647, as I only have a small garden once/twice a year. Would I be better to just buy a new 48" tiller from TSC for a few hundred more than this used one? Thanks for the help.

·
Premium Member
2,735 Posts
I would buy the TSC one in my opinion. How old is the one off the 430? That tractor hasn't been made since 92. Is the one from TSC a King Kutter? Just my opinion

·
Corndog Hater
11,687 Posts
A model 48 from a 430 requires a 2000 rpm rear pto.

Sent from my LGL52VL using Tapatalk
Yeah what rydplrs said.:good2: You want a tiller that runs at 540RPM speed. And I echo the TSC/KingKutter tiller recommendation, it is a nice unit for the money.:thumbup1gif:

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So looks like the used one is out. TSC carries a couple different Countyline tillers. red one is $1499 (2122654) yellow one $1399 (2122515) does not sound like much different. Looks like either would fit the 1025. Anyone run one of these? Thanks for the help

·
Corndog Hater
11,687 Posts
I run a 4' KingKutter II, which is similar to the CountyLine. It is offset so that your tracks are covered. The tiller is a great size for the 1025/6R. It does a terrific job and will leave a great seedbed. I think for general homeowner use, it can't be beat for the price.

·
Registered
747 Posts
TD1025,

One question, is your tractor equiped with a Quick Hitch in the rear? The reason I ask is... The red TSC and orange KingKutter tillers are sized for a Cat 0, 3-point hitch. While both yellow TSC and KingKutter tillers have Cat 1 pin spacing.

If you don't have a Quick Hitch it's not a problem, just adjust your 3-point to fit arms to fit. It's a little more work to convert your Cat 0 tiller to fit a Cat 1 Quick Hitch. One of the members here, timmarks, has a YouTube channel with lots of tractor videos on it. He shows how to make the orange KingKutter Xb tillers fit on a Quick Hitch.

And, since everyone likes pictures....

tiller2.JPG

tiller1.JPG

FYI, my local farm & fleet store had a couple of the orange Xb tillers on close out before winter at $1300... I'm kicking my self for not getting one then...:banghead:

Good Luck!

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
When I bought my KK tiller in 2014, Rural King had a sale in March of that year with some pretty good savings.

·
Corndog Hater
11,687 Posts
FYI, my local farm & fleet store had a couple of the orange Xb tillers on close out before winter at $1300... I'm kicking my self for not getting one then...:banghead:

Good Luck!
For what it's worth, I run the yellow tiller on my 1026R. 10 years ago (man, does time fly), when I bought mine, they were much cheaper, right around $1000 bucks IRRC. I waited until spring and had some birthday cash (yes I still got bday cash) and asked about a discount on the 48" I had been eyeing all winter, as it had sat outside. They gave me 10% off. There might have been another sale too?:unknown: Anyway I walked out of there with that tiller for around $700 :good2:

·
Registered
456 Posts
Check out the King Kutter tillers. Good priced and good quality.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
124 Posts
I found a used 48" landpride in real good condition for 450.00 I've yet to identify the model on it tags are hard to read but it does great work. My quick hitch won't work ATM because the drive shaft is to short and I need to extend it so the quick hitch is usable

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
533 Posts
I found a used 48" landpride in real good condition for 450.00 I've yet to identify the model on it tags are hard to read but it does great work. My quick hitch won't work ATM because the drive shaft is to short and I need to extend it so the quick hitch is usable

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I had the same problem with a used 50" landpride I bought. Went to the local tractor supply and bought a PTO extender. The extra 4" inches makes it work great with the quick hitch. I think it cost under $20.

·
Registered
458 Posts

Very happy with my 48" Behlen Country tiller on my 1025r. But it is HEAVY. Nearly 600# and so I leave the FEL in place and run 5-6 cinder blocks in the bucket to keep the front tires firmly planted.

Does a nice job too.

Easily went from this.

to this in a single pass. Not seed bed worthy in one pass but more than adequate for my friend to plant grass.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Tractor Supply rear tiller

I bought my Rototiller last year through Tractor Supply. I bought a 48" inch wide and LOVE this rototiller. I worked up back yard and front yard which is mostly CLAY. This thing CHEWED it UP GREAT. I have a 1025R bought last year and did think about he lighter duty one but decided to go with the, NOTE I have a quick Hitch which is why I went this way Cat 1 hitch pins.

With my dad's equipment I can get a rototiller from 5 ft to 7 ft wide and run with a full size 70 HP tractor.

The other thing to note is TRACTOR SUPPLY types of Rototiller depends on where your TSC is located. Mine sells TARTER equipment, I have heard that in the South they sell King Kutter. So take a look at what you have in your area. I did contact and talk with a rep at Tarter and the yellow Rototiller is very much within the capability of the 1025R

Rototiller 48.jpg

·
Registered
2,022 Posts
When I purchased my tiller, I was considering a JD 647 and a comparable width King Kutter at Mill's Fleet-Farm. At the time, 10 years ago or so, they were pretty comparably priced, albeit the JD was more ($100 - $200). I went with the JD. The PTO shaft was too long for the tractor (JD 455) and to be cut down. The dealer did so at no additional charge. I know that wouldn't have happened at Fleet-Farm and I probably would have received the deer in the headlights look if I had inquired. Granted, I'm capable of cutting down the PTO shaft, but this goes to speak to the value added by a servicing dealer.

The other thing that is often over looked is product support. I'm confident the 647 tiller will have parts support far longer than the others.

At some point, myself or my heirs, will likely desire to liquidate the tiller. I don't think I'll get any argument, the green paint and JD nameplate will not only make it easier to sell, but fetch a better price.

·
Registered
499 Posts
So looks like the used one is out. TSC carries a couple different Countyline tillers. red one is $1499 (2122654) yellow one $1399 (2122515) does not sound like much different. Looks like either would fit the 1025. Anyone run one of these? Thanks for the help
My 647 was $2500. But it was new with no interest at the time.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts