Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had a few seat problems with a less than 1 year old 1025. First the infamous turn buckle broke. The dealer fixed it but put the seat assembly on backwards so off it went, back to dealer. Next the material on the arm rests split on both sides. I installed them today and took a good look at everything re: the seat. When you tilt the seat forward. It pivots on a rod. The brackets that hold that rod were bent and the spacers on the bolts were in the wrong spot. Rebent the tabs that held that bracket and reinstalled the brackets that hold that rod. Next I noticed a bolt was missing. It was one of the four that bolt the actual seat. Had a metric bolt that was too long, cut on the bandsaw and filed the kerf. That problem solved. This has me guessing if anything else is wrong. My seat was some slop in all directions, forward,backward and side to side. Should I take the seat off and snug up the four bolts that would tighten the turning setup, or is this normal? The four nuts and bolts that actually hold the swiveling plates together.

·
Registered
2,862 Posts
Had a few seat problems with a less than 1 year old 1025. First the infamous turn buckle broke. The dealer fixed it but put the seat assembly on backwards so off it went, back to dealer. Next the material on the arm rests split on both sides. I installed them today and took a good look at everything re: the seat. When you tilt the seat forward. It pivots on a rod. The brackets that hold that rod were bent and the spacers on the bolts were in the wrong spot. Rebent the tabs that held that bracket and reinstalled the brackets that hold that rod. Next I noticed a bolt was missing. It was one of the four that bolt the actual seat. Had a metric bolt that was too long, cut on the bandsaw and filed the kerf. That problem solved. This has me guessing if anything else is wrong. My seat was some slop in all directions, forward,backward and side to side. Should I take the seat off and snug up the four bolts that would tighten the turning setup, or is this normal? The four nuts and bolts that actually hold the swiveling plates together.
Those two seat tabs that were bent and probable soon be again are the issue. I took the rod out and fit a piece of 5/8 galvanized pipe between. Probable should weld to the tabs. Very weak spot on that seat assembly.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1,047 Posts
When I bought my backhoe, the dealer installed the rotating seat mechanism. In addition to it being installed backwards, I was amazed at how roughly it functioned. The dealer rep told me this was normal. I could see the seat bolts running into the mechanism as the seat was being turned. Either the design was terrible or somebody used the wrong parts to put it together. There was no way I could see John Deere considering the way this thing worked as being normal or acceptable. While turning the seat around to the proper direction, I lubricated everything that moved in the mechanism with JD Super Lube. I replaced the seat bolts with stainless steel button-head cap screws. (Please see this post.) The low profile of these screws cleared the mechanism during rotation and made rotation much easier. I also used the long tube that comes with Fluid Film to spray it deep between the plates that rotate on the seat. I sprayed it in there from all 4 sides. Now the seat turns easily with no interference whatsoever. All of this should have been done during the initial installation.

·
Premium Member
1,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
When I bought my backhoe, the dealer installed the rotating seat mechanism. In addition to it being installed backwards, I was amazed at how roughly it functioned. The dealer rep told me this was normal. I could see the seat bolts running into the mechanism as the seat was being turned. Either the design was terrible or somebody used the wrong parts to put it together. There was no way I could see John Deere considering the way this thing worked as being normal or acceptable. While turning the seat around to the proper direction, I lubricated everything that moved in the mechanism with JD Super Lube. I replaced the seat bolts with stainless steel button-head cap screws. (Please see this post.) The low profile of these screws cleared the mechanism during rotation and made rotation much easier. I also used the long tube that comes with Fluid Film to spray it deep between the plates that rotate on the seat. I sprayed it in there from all 4 sides. Now the seat turns easily with no interference whatsoever. All of this should have been done during the initial installation.
I did read your post. I lubed mine too. When I go back to pick up a chain saw part I'm going to check the seat on a showroom 1025 and see if it "sits" tighter than mine. It just seems that the seat sways a bit in all directions. Don't no if this is normal. The only left to tighten is the two pieces that allow for turning. The plate with the circular hole and the othe piece that's round and sits in the hole. Looked in the tech and parts manual and there wasn't much on it.

·
Premium Member
2,143 Posts
I did read your post. I lubed mine too. When I go back to pick up a chain saw part I'm going to check the seat on a showroom 1025 and see if it "sits" tighter than mine. It just seems that the seat sways a bit in all directions. Don't no if this is normal. The only left to tighten is the two pieces that allow for turning. The plate with the circular hole and the othe piece that's round and sits in the hole. Looked in the tech and parts manual and there wasn't much on it.
It definitely sounds like something is loose on your seat mount. They do have some slop but not really too noticeable. Spray lube is key to keeping them swiveling smoothly.
My heim joint swivel linkage broke twice on my seat. It was replaced the first time under warranty and the second time it broke, I fixed it with much better parts. http://www.greentractortalk.com/forums/sub-compact-utility-tractors-scut/76193-1025r-tractor-loader-backhoe-swivel-seat-linkage-rod.html

Reactions: keane

·
Registered
4,491 Posts
The rotating seat was one of my first complaints, but I just got used to it. We nicknamed it the "floppy seat". Here are a few links:

http://www.greentractortalk.com/forums/sub-compact-utility-tractors-scut/5013-1026r-seat-doesnt-stay-level.html

http://www.greentractortalk.com/forums/sub-compact-utility-tractors-scut/4825-1026r-improvements-2.html

If you find a better solution, I'm all ears :bigthumb:

Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
2,862 Posts
Since I put the pipe between the two tabs I gave very little slop.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
16 Posts
Had myself a bit of a seat problem too.

Cutting the grass, hit a bump, and one of the seat rail came off and launched me into the steering wheel.

Bolts for holding down the seat rails MIA. 3 out of 4 of them.

Anyone have a part number????

·
Registered
968 Posts
From what you guys are writing on the 1025R seat it is total different mounting than my 1023E. Is it because it flips around 180 degrees for the back hoe? As it is I can't se where anything could possibly go wrong on the 1023E seat mounting.

But I did change the seat on mine to a high back for back support. The original JD seat was better suited to a go cart for the grand sons.

Attachments

1 - 9 of 9 Posts