Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Nothing fancy. I went to Tractor Supply for all the parts. The brackets are aluminum and are located across from the nuts and bolts. The cross pieces are in the same spot. I used the 10 inch brackets and cross pieces. The expanded metal piece across the top is for traction and is in the welding department with the steel. I used 1 1/2" long 1/2" bolts with nylon nuts. I used 2 different sized washers to hold the expanded metal down. 1 angle iron I cut to fit the bottom of the bracket for added strength and to have a place to mount the angled piece too. That was just a 1" wide by 3 or 4ft. I used a old piece of steel I had laying around for the back side of the frame.

S I shortened the one side of each bracket to make keep the step closer to the cab floor. I also cut the angle to match the bracket. If you zoom the pic you can see it pretty easy. What you can't see is there are 5 pre drilled holes on each side of the bracket for a total of ten. The cross pieces are pre drilled also. I had to drill holes for the angle pieces. I cut the expanded metal to fit and there were 3 spots I had to trim to get the bolts in. To make it easier and to protect the threads on the bolts holding the step to the frame I put a extra nut in between the the step bracket and the back of frame bracket. That's pretty much it. I can't weld and I used a Sawzall, 4 ¹/2 grinder to round the edges and a dremal too smooth out the aluminum when I drilled thru and the edges from the Sawzall.

So it worked out that from the bottom of the cab floor to the step is 4 inches. From the step to the concrete is 11 inches.

So before anyone asks I have not put the MMM on to check the clearance. The mower is put up and until I get it out of it's storage spot to get it ready to mow with I am not going to worry about it just yet. I am pretty sure that it will be close to hitting the step once it is on. If I happen to be at my JD dealer and one is sitting there I can measure that one to compare to mine. Til then it's gonna be a while.

So if there is anyone out there Disabled like me, with some patience and time and a few choice Cuss words because you can't physically do some things you could before than this might be a project you can do too. I can't crawl under the tractor because I can't get back up off the floor I put a 4x4 under the outriggers and a rubber strip under the front bucket to protect the concrete, stood to the side and raised the tractor up with the outriggers and then I was able to use my stool to sit on and was able to attach the step without having to get someone to do it for me.

So anyway, snow tomorrow so the step is on, it's painted black now and Betsy and I are ready!

Attachments

·
Registered
12,479 Posts
nothing wrong with that look. as long as it works for u--good! i love my step on the 2520. made a world of difference in my life.:bigthumb:

·
Bonehead Club Lackey
10,269 Posts
I like it...and all without a welder. Good job. :bigthumb: The only thing I see you might have to do is cut the screws on the bottom so they aren't sticking down so far.

·
Registered
23,040 Posts
Nothing fancy. I went to Tractor Supply for all the parts. The brackets are aluminum and are located across from the nuts and bolts. The cross pieces are in the same spot. I used the 10 inch brackets and cross pieces. The expanded metal piece across the top is for traction and is in the welding department with the steel. I used 1 1/2" long 1/2" bolts with nylon nuts. I used 2 different sized washers to hold the expanded metal down. 1 angle iron I cut to fit the bottom of the bracket for added strength and to have a place to mount the angled piece too. That was just a 1" wide by 3 or 4ft. I used a old piece of steel I had laying around for the back side of the frame.

S I shortened the one side of each bracket to make keep the step closer to the cab floor. I also cut the angle to match the bracket. If you zoom the pic you can see it pretty easy. What you can't see is there are 5 pre drilled holes on each side of the bracket for a total of ten. The cross pieces are pre drilled also. I had to drill holes for the angle pieces. I cut the expanded metal to fit and there were 3 spots I had to trim to get the bolts in. To make it easier and to protect the threads on the bolts holding the step to the frame I put a extra nut in between the the step bracket and the back of frame bracket. That's pretty much it. I can't weld and I used a Sawzall, 4 ¹/2 grinder to round the edges and a dremal too smooth out the aluminum when I drilled thru and the edges from the Sawzall.

So it worked out that from the bottom of the cab floor to the step is 4 inches. From the step to the concrete is 11 inches.

So before anyone asks I have not put the MMM on to check the clearance. The mower is put up and until I get it out of it's storage spot to get it ready to mow with I am not going to worry about it just yet. I am pretty sure that it will be close to hitting the step once it is on. If I happen to be at my JD dealer and one is sitting there I can measure that one to compare to mine. Til then it's gonna be a while.

So if there is anyone out there Disabled like me, with some patience and time and a few choice Cuss words because you can't physically do some things you could before than this might be a project you can do too. I can't crawl under the tractor because I can't get back up off the floor I put a 4x4 under the outriggers and a rubber strip under the front bucket to protect the concrete, stood to the side and raised the tractor up with the outriggers and then I was able to use my stool to sit on and was able to attach the step without having to get someone to do it for me.

So anyway, snow tomorrow so the step is on, it's painted black now and Betsy and I are ready!
Same situation here. I was to the point where I couldn't get on my tractor unless the mower deck was on to step on - which I don't like doing anyway. Thanks to the awesome help from a forum member I was able to add this step to my 2520. And like you all done sitting on a stool. The first thing I have to get out when working on anything is a chair or stool.

Now I can get on and off my tractor!

P1030140.JPG

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I like it...and all without a welder. Good job. :bigthumb: The only thing I see you might have to do is cut the screws on the bottom so they aren't sticking down so far.
Thank you!

I was just telling my brother about that a little while ago. I was thinking about it before I put it on the tractor but I was running out of steam and just wanted it done. :)

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Same situation here. I was to the point where I couldn't get on my tractor unless the mower deck was on to step on - which I don't like doing anyway. Thanks to the awesome help from a forum member I was able to add this step to my 2520. And like you all done sitting on a stool. The first thing I have to get out when working on anything is a chair or stool.

Now I can get on and off my tractor!

View attachment 327074
That's awesome! It sucks having to sit down working on stuff but it is what it is. I'm going to be using my new step later when it stops snowing. Looking forward to plowing!

·
Registered
23,040 Posts
That's awesome! It sucks having to sit down working on stuff but it is what it is. I'm going to be using my new step later when it stops snowing. Looking forward to plowing!
I've gotten used to it. I have those plastic deck chairs all over the place - it's the first thing that I get out before any other tools.

On occasion I just have to get under something laying on the barn floor. I have to make arrangements with my wife before hand as she has to help me get up. And not such an easy task as I outweigh her by 100 pounds or so.

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I've gotten used to it. I have those plastic deck chairs all over the place - it's the first thing that I get out before any other tools.

On occasion I just have to get under something laying on the barn floor. I have to make arrangements with my wife before hand as she has to help me get up. And not such an easy task as I outweigh her by 100 pounds or so.
I have to do that to now. I decide to lay on the bathroom floor to look at the water line in the cabinet and then couldn't get back up. I had to crawl on my back into the bedroom so I could you the bed frame to pull myself back up. Gould thing is a log style bed frame with sturdy posts. Can't do that again. Wife wasn't too happy with me.

·
Registered
23,040 Posts
I know I am veering off topic a bit, but.....

I have to say that if it weren't for my tractor I would have to give our place up - our blessed home in the mountains. Little things like the step we are talking about made a huge difference. That and the loader and forks. Anything and everything is moved with it. Heck - neither of us has the ability to carry a garbage bag up to the road anymore.

I've made a few mods that make it all possible. That and the continued help and compassion from our forum members here.

Oh, and by the way - I used to work in Stroudsburg and lived in East Stroudsburg many years ago. Thinking back I think it was from 1978 - 1985.

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Right on! I was born and raised here. Left in 1988 to go to boot camp in the Army. Lived in Colorado from 94 to 2010 then moved back here to PA. So I have been here now a lil over 7 years already.

I'm in the same boat as you with the tractor. It keeps me going and there is always something to do it seems like! I always want to do more but some days it's impossible.

I do have Betsy all ready to plow Tuesday. Sounds like we are going to get a good storm finally. As much as I am tired of the snow I always like one good one just to plow and make it worth the while. I am really considering getting the Curtis cab at the end of fall for next year. Coveralls just aren't cutting it anymore.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Had a brain storm the other day and went back to tractor supply to get 2 key pins and cotter pins. Replaced the top 2 bolts and with the pins and now it's a quick attach step. I put 2 9/16 nuts on top so that the the extra space around the pin is filled. Works pretty good so far. I put it to the test yesterday.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Had a brain storm the other day and went back to tractor supply to get 2 key pins and cotter pins. Replaced the top 2 bolts and with the pins and now it's a quick attach step. I put 2 9/16 nuts on top so that the the extra space around the pin is filled. Works pretty good so far. I put it to the test yesterday.
OK so I have no idea why pic is upside down? Sorry

·
Registered
778 Posts
Pretty Impressive given your physical limitations :bigthumb:

If I was a 1000 miles closer I would weld it up for you!

·
Registered
670 Posts
Step and seat modifications

Anyone got a step for the outrigger so I can climb up to the seat when it's turned for the backhoe? Or, a modification for the seat so that it will go back further when facing forward, or when facing backward? I see a second set of mounting holes for the seat that will put it back an extra inch or so when driving but it means that the seat is an inch closer to the backhoe controls when its turned around.

·
Premium Member
12,697 Posts
Anyone got a step for the outrigger so I can climb up to the seat when it's turned for the backhoe? Or, a modification for the seat so that it will go back further when facing forward, or when facing backward? I see a second set of mounting holes for the seat that will put it back an extra inch or so when driving but it means that the seat is an inch closer to the backhoe controls when its turned around.
Click here Ken's Bolt on Grab Hooks and scroll down the page to:

John Deere #260 Backhoe Steps

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Kennyd has some you can buy or you can make some yourself. I used steps for campers that I got on Amazon and used bolts from tsc. There is a thread on here about them and let me see if i can find a pic of mine for you. There was another member that i copied this from. The step will fold up so it isnt sticking out. Not sure why the pics are turned again. Havent had this happen in a long time. They were not sideways when i loaded them. I think if you go up in the search and type in backhoe steps you can find the thread this was started by. I use them all the time.

Good luck!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Pretty Impressive given your physical limitations :bigthumb:

If I was a 1000 miles closer I would weld it up for you!
Thanks Bulitt! I just saw this! Sorry it took me this long to say Thank you for the offer!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts