Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a new 1025r with 60” MMM. I mow about 2 acres of pasture style field (no animals). People have told me that over time, the field will get smoother simply from mowing. I find this mostly true but here’s my questions. Which will do the best job of making it smoother over time, side discharging or mulching? Side discharging sort of leaves the long strands and I wonder of that breakdown helps lead to the smoothing over time.

Now I defer to the experts ?
Thoughts?

·
Registered
23,109 Posts
In my opinion the grass clippings have nothing to do with it.

I have a couple wooded areas that I have cleared and now natural grasses are growing. The first few years I had to use the brush hog to mow it but now I can do it with my belly mower in the highest position. I feel that it is just a natural occurance that it smooths out plus runing the tractor over it again and again.

With the grass kept shorter the ground gets more sunlight and moisture from the rain. Over time this tends to loosen the surface some - then running the tractor over it when mowing acts a bit like a roller.

Just the way I think about it. But it is true that my areas have smoothed out over the years. And no....I am not doing any scalping with the mower deck.

[disclaimer - I do not have an SCUT]

·
Premium Member
2,758 Posts
If you want to smooth it out just pull a roller over it in the spring or anytime there is alot of moisture in the ground. When i first moved out where i am i ised a roller the first three springs. that was all it took and since i have had more to mow.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If you want to smooth it out just pull a roller over it in the spring or anytime there is alot of moisture in the ground. When i first moved out where i am i ised a roller the first three springs. that was all it took and since i have had more to mow.
A roller would be nice but aren't they about $500 or more? I wonder if that's something I could find at a rental place.

·
Registered
12,523 Posts
tractor supply has one that's 2' by 4', and weighs 920 lbs when full of water for 250 bucks.. a little spendy, but not as much as you thought...
i have that TSC ROLLER--bought mine yrs ago. it has been a very good roller. i can not fill it the whole way up with water, or i need 4 wheel drive-on my honda 4 wheeler-450ES. jeez-i've had mine probably 10 yrs now. and i got mine back then for $199. a TSC was having a grand opening-and i opened a CC and got so much off-and the roller for $199

·
Corndog Hater
11,781 Posts
In my opinion the grass clippings have nothing to do with it.

I have a couple wooded areas that I have cleared and now natural grasses are growing. The first few years I had to use the brush hog to mow it but now I can do it with my belly mower in the highest position. I feel that it is just a natural occurance that it smooths out plus runing the tractor over it again and again.

With the grass kept shorter the ground gets more sunlight and moisture from the rain. Over time this tends to loosen the surface some - then running the tractor over it when mowing acts a bit like a roller.

Just the way I think about it. But it is true that my areas have smoothed out over the years. And no....I am not doing any scalping with the mower deck.

[disclaimer - I do not have an SCUT]
tractor supply has one that's 2' by 4', and weighs 920 lbs when full of water for 250 bucks.. a little spendy, but not as much as you thought...
I agree with coaltrain here. I do have a SCUT and my back 2.5+ acres of old pasture has smoothed out some over the 11 years that we've been mowing it, but it's still rough. As for the roller that lewisc1985 mentions, that is the one I use. I have found that it has had little effect on smoothing out my yard, even with the soft clay soils I have. For me, the best way to a smooth yard would be to have it plowed, disked, and then smoothed from there.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
For me, the best way to a smooth yard would be to have it plowed, disked, and then smoothed from there.
I have definitely considered doing this too. If so, it'll be a 2018 summer project at this point. Geez, my 2017 list is already full.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts