Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings,

I’m a new 1025R owner. Just hit 20 hours. I’ve found everyone on this forum very informative and helpful.

The 1st greasing at 10 hours went fine, but I missed a few zerks on the 260B. This time around I was careful to find them all (found I broke my first zerk, at the end of the dipperstick near the bucket). But, there is one fitting that won’t take any grease. It’s the one on the bottom of the swing arm. It’s hard to get to, but swinging the backhoe far left provided enough room. Any one else have trouble with this one? Any tips or tricks? Or is it likely that its just a bad zerk fitting?

Also, anyone change this fitting to a 90 degree?

thanks for the help

Attachments

·
Registered
2,932 Posts
My 260 is a little different such as my hoses run under that area so I have easier access.
Many times with the backhoe fittings I have found that some accept grease better if I put down pressure on the joint instead of letting everything be suspended.
I will grease whatever will take it and if I have a tight one I will come back to it after changing the arm position.
I guess you will not know if its a bad zerk unless you take it off and try it.
It does look like a good candidate for a 90 degree with those hoses in the way.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Fairly new equipment should grease easily there must be pressure still on the pins so make sure you take the weight off the joint for it to properly grease and as others said you can buy different zerks to suite your needs

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
Fairly new equipment should grease easily there must be pressure still on the pins so make sure you take the weight off the joint for it to properly grease and as others said you can buy different zerks to suite your needs

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
This exactly, you need to ground the bucket and push a touch to take the weight of the boom and dipper off this pin before the zerk will take any grease.

·
Premium Member
972 Posts
I had one or two bad zerks on my 260BH also...I never tried to take the pressure off tho:dunno: Never had a problem after replacing them.. Only the BH tho, all the other Zerks on FEL and tractor have been fine.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So I was able to get out on the tractor for a little bit after work. Tried to put the boom down and lift the back end slightly, no luck, no grease getting in. I guess the next step would be to replace or swap out another zerk to see if anything changes.

Side note: I bought the LockNLube XL and that made a tricky grease fitting an impossible one. Fortunately, I had another hose and the standard coupler which fit.

·
Premium Member
12,174 Posts
So I was able to get out on the tractor for a little bit after work. Tried to put the boom down and lift the back end slightly, no luck, no grease getting in. I guess the next step would be to replace or swap out another zerk to see if anything changes.

Side note: I bought the LockNLube XL and that made a tricky grease fitting an impossible one. Fortunately, I had another hose and the standard coupler which fit.
As suggested above, replace that straight zerk with a 45-degree angle fitting. The trick is to just barely take the weight off the bushing. By lifting the rear end up you may still be causing a restriction.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Here’s an update for those who may be interested or have a similar problem...

After changing the grease fitting and trying many different positions and angles with no luck, I asked the dealer for some suggestions. He suggested removing the fitting and cleaning out the hole in the joint with some wire. Well, that seemed to work. It finally took some grease.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Hint

Here’s an update for those who may be interested or have a similar problem...

After changing the grease fitting and trying many different positions and angles with no luck, I asked the dealer for some suggestions. He suggested removing the fitting and cleaning out the hole in the joint with some wire. Well, that seemed to work. It finally took some grease.

Heat the wire 1st with a propane torch.

·
Registered
5 Posts
How I got the Boom Swing Pin to Take Grease on 260B

No Grease in Swing Pin
Tried relieving pressure on the Pin, Tried moving the boom to side of tractor and relieving the pressure. No Luck.
This did work:
Purchased a 30 inch flex line for my 10k psi grease gun. Connected to the zerk, started the tractor, made sure I was clear of boom. Use the boom joy stick and very slowly rotated the boom away from my direction, during the rotation i pumped the grease gun and was able to get the pin to take grease without any effort at all.
Know this is dangerous and that's why i used a 30 in. grease hose to the zerk.

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
No Grease in Swing Pin
Tried relieving pressure on the Pin, Tried moving the boom to side of tractor and relieving the pressure. No Luck.
This did work:
Purchased a 30 inch flex line for my 10k psi grease gun. Connected to the zerk, started the tractor, made sure I was clear of boom. Use the boom joy stick and very slowly rotated the boom away from my direction, during the rotation i pumped the grease gun and was able to get the pin to take grease without any effort at all.
Know this is dangerous and that's why i used a 30 in. grease hose to the zerk.
You should sit in the BH operator seat to lessen that “danger”

1 - 12 of 12 Posts