Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know I need to move the PTO selection to 540 when using the brush hog, and 2100 when using the MMM. But what is the 540/2100 position for? Seems like it would be for powering the MMM and brush hog at the same time. But is that really a thing? Can't see why you'd have a brush hog running if you've already mowed it with the MMM.

I gotta' be missing something. And I did look in the manual.

·
Registered
2,966 Posts
My 1025 is older so I don't know if your selector position decals are different.
If I select rear pto only, the gage on the dash indicates a maximum pto rpm of a little over 540.
If I select rear and mid, or mid only, the dash automatically reads a max of roughly 2100.
I don't think it is physically possible to run higher than 540 out of the rear pto on these. there is no internal gearing or reversing of the output shaft at the rear pto available.
I always select the appropriate pto position, and can only imagine a front and rear snowblower would use mid and rear at the same time.

·
Premium Member
12,719 Posts
I know I need to move the PTO selection to 540 when using the brush hog, and 2100 when using the MMM. But what is the 540/2100 position for? Seems like it would be for powering the MMM and brush hog at the same time. But is that really a thing? Can't see why you'd have a brush hog running if you've already mowed it with the MMM.

I gotta' be missing something. And I did look in the manual.
Almost all compact tractors allow for running the mid and rear PTO at the same time. Your reference of running a MMM and brush hog probably doesn't make sense but there are other implements like front snow blowers and brooms that use the mid-PTO. It would be totally possible to be running a front snow blower at the same time as rear PTO-powered salt spreader.

Granted, there probably aren't many situations where you would want to run the mid and rear PTO at the same time but fortunately most tractors do have that option on the PTO selector.

·
Super Moderator
5,197 Posts
I have a leaf vac that I use on mine that fits on the 3-point and uses the rear pto which needs to be running at the same time as the MMM using the mid pto.

^^^^^ This sort of thing right here is a very good example.

The Brush Hog/MMM pairing would be unusual but those aren't the only implements that utilize the PTO systems. A front mounted snowblower and PTO driven sand/salt spreader pairing is another situation where you might want both on at the same time.

·
Registered
309 Posts
I have an additional question to yours.. if ive never used my rear PTO and its only in the front position... Should I engage my rear and dry run it ever once in a while just to keep it loose and lubricated?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
12,719 Posts
I have an additional question to yours.. if ive never used my rear PTO and its only in the front position... Should I engage my rear and dry run it ever once in a while just to keep it loose and lubricated?
I've "heard" that you should run your rear PTO once in a while to keep the seals in good condition. There was also recently a discussion about issues with the PTO brake due to lack of use.

·
Registered
428 Posts
I've "heard" that you should run your rear PTO once in a while to keep the seals in good condition. There was also recently a discussion about issues with the PTO brake due to lack of use.
I've NEVER run my rear pto, ever. I'd be interested to know if this is true.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
18,291 Posts

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I've NEVER run my rear pto, ever. I'd be interested to know if this is true.

FWIW...I do :bigthumb:

·
Registered
428 Posts
FWIW...I do :bigthumb:
Despite what @Gizmo2 may say about you on here, I'm inclined to believe you know what you're talking about, LOL. So, you just set it to rear pto and turn it on for.... a few seconds, a couple minutes....??? I'm really intrigued by this. I would have never thought of "dry running" the rear pto

·
Administrator
18,291 Posts
Despite what @Gizmo2 may say about you on here, I'm inclined to believe you know what you're talking about, LOL. So, you just set it to rear pto and turn it on for.... a few seconds, a couple minutes....??? I'm really intrigued by this. I would have never thought of "dry running" the rear pto

Since I don't use either PTO much, I put mine in the mid position so both run some-at least a couple minutes.

·
Registered
1,283 Posts

Funny, I don't have a MMM or use a snowblower, so I never use the front PTO, but I use the rear PTO almost every time I use the tractor. I guess the same needs to be done for the front PTO? :dunno:

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
MMM and vac.

Front broom and rear Blower
Front and rear blowers
Front broom/blower and rear spreader

I'm sure there are more combinations but those quickly come to mind.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts