Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,091 Posts
You can keep the backhoe on but it might cause you to be top heavy on side slopes. If you had a ballast box, it could be dropped to the ground if you started sliding and act as an additional brake.

·
Registered
155 Posts
I use my 2305 with the backhoe on for ballast. Sometimes more weight would be nice but it works fine. Sticks out more than a weight box too so be careful in tight spots.

I always run chains because my gravel driveway ices up. Your situation may be different. Chains may require wheel spacers, not sure on your model.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
17,271 Posts
Can I blow snow with 260 Backhoe attached and Beet Juice in rear R4 tires.
Tractor is a 2020 year. Will I need tire chains.
Home owner use, no commercial.
This question comes up all the time. It is impossible to answer because there are too many variables... driveway surface, temperature, friction coefficient of tires/ground coating, weight, etc. etc. You have two choices... buy a set of chains ahead of time just in case you need them... or do like the rest of us and try out your existing setup first and then make changes as necessary.

·
Premium Member
6,673 Posts
I've had a front mount blower on ... 1023, 2032 & now on a 3039. Never have had chains and the only ballast being a rear blade. At times chains would've helped, but I'm not going to scar up neighbors' driveways to make my job faster when I'm charging by the hour.

·
Premium Member
17,271 Posts
I've had a front mount blower on ... 1023, 3032 & now on a 3039. Never have had chains and the only ballast being a rear blade. At times chains would've helped, but I'm not going to scar up neighbors' driveways to make my job faster when I'm charging by the hour.
To illustrate my comment about there being no right answer... I have a 2720 with R4 tires. The rears are loaded with washer fluid. I run with a 54-inch blower on the front and 60-inch blade on the rear. I cannot even get up and down my driveway without chains on all four tires. I've been running it this way for 9 seasons.

·
Premium Member
3,712 Posts
I always used chains on my 420 L&G. once i got the 1025R with the four wheel drive i wished for chains only once. Now with the 2038R and R3 radials I have never used the four wheel and only used the Diff Lock a few times. i have about 300 feet gravel with incline then a large parking ceament parking slab. Chains for the 1025R are not too expensive so i would not hurt to have them on hand.

Reactions: Jimmy Walker

·
Premium Member
6,673 Posts
To illustrate my comment about there being no right answer... I have a 2720 with R4 tires. The rears are loaded with washer fluid. I run with a 54-inch blower on the front and 60-inch blade on the rear. I cannot even get up and down my driveway without chains on all four tires. I've been running it this way for 9 seasons.
Fair point.
I have one client that if I had to work the driveway going uphill I would certainly need chains. Fortunately I am able to work it downhill.

·
Premium Member
17,271 Posts
Fair point.
I have one client that if I had to work the driveway going uphill I would certainly need chains. Fortunately I am able to work it downhill.
I clean two paved neighbor driveways and my gravel driveway. I’ve found that non-cleated chains do not leave any marks on the pavement. I do my best to avoid spinning the tires.

Reactions: keane and MattL
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.