Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all! I am new to the forum, but have been reading an gathering information from the site for several years. Recently, I made the decision to stwp up from my X475 to a new 1025r. It was a toss up between the X758, and the 1025. Well, the greater versatility vs price difference sent me home with the 1025.

Mowing my lawn is one of the primary duties of the my 1025. It does do a decent job of striping as it is, but I would really like to see the stripes more defined. I've taken a rubber flap, slightly wider than the inside width of the rear wheels, and built a top frame a bracket which can quickly be installed in the 2" hitch reciever I am using in the 3ph. It helps, but I am still looking for more.

I have read of one or two people who've had success with the John Deere BM23648 Striping Roller Kit. However, after much searching on the inter web, I have yet to find an photos, or anything more than "It works." So, after my long winded line of b.s., I will get to my question. Have any of you had success with the BM23648, or Bm22689 roller striping kit on a 60D, on a 1 Series Deere? Better yet, does anyone have any photos?

I've looked at some of the other aftermarket strippers that would mount on the rear of the tractor, or 3ph, and I'm really not a fan.

Any help would be appreciated!

Greg

·
Registered
12,504 Posts
:unknown: can't help ya out on ur striping kit. but welcome from south western pa.:wgtt:

·
Registered
778 Posts
:unknown: can't help ya out on ur striping kit. but welcome from south western pa.:wgtt:
Me neither, my weeds don't stripe worth a Damn :laugh: But someone will chime in with a wealth of knowledge! Welcome to GTT!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I appreciate the greetings gentlemen!

It is looking as though I'll have to give it a try myself, and post the results. From what I can see from photos I've found of the kit itself, along with the assembly instructions, and putting my good eye on the clearances between the deck and rear tires....... it should work. I have taken the time to adjust and get my deck all setup to lift to the absolute maximum, and run my gauge wheels in the lowest possible setting to get a good 3.5" cut. The only issue I could see running into is if the yokes for the striper were set in a high position(for low cut height) and the deck was raised completely.

Oh well, I've ordered the kit from the dealer. The wife wants stripes, so the financial department approved the purchase. I will just pray I don't break her heart if it doesn't work. But if all else fails, I will just have to get creative!

·
Premium Member
1,003 Posts
:congrats: on the new ride and Welcome neighbor:cheers:

Reactions: Robnik

·
Corndog Hater
11,777 Posts
Thanks GPrice and welcome to GTT. Please keep us posted on this. Are you currently using the mulch kit on your 60d?

Reactions: Robnik

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks GPrice and welcome to GTT. Please keep us posted on this. Are you currently using the mulch kit on your 60d?
No, I am not running a mulching kit. My greatest fear is to sacrifice the phenomenal vacuum created by the 60d. The quality of cut that comes from this deck is awesome, given the weight and tire sizes on the tractor. The x475 I got rid of had an edge deck on it. Without a mulching kit, the vacuum was not that great, so it had a difficult time pulling the grass up to cut it after the front wheels passed over. I found myself running the power flow bagger to create good vacuum for a good quality cut at 3.5". Naturally, that robbed the yard of the clippings, and meant less free organic nutrients for the lawn. I loved the tractor, but hated the deck.

I also travel a lot for my occupation. It becomes difficult to keep up with the 1/3rd rule. If the lawn get's a little tall, I've found that a second mowing after the clippings dry cleans the yard up pretty good. When all else fails, spread the heavy spots with the leaf blower. With, or without the mulching kit, I'd end up giving a large part of the lawn a second mowing.

I have been eyeing the mulch kit, but I've just read too many mixed reviews on the end result of the cut quality.

·
Corndog Hater
11,777 Posts
No, I am not running a mulching kit. My greatest fear is to sacrifice the phenomenal vacuum created by the 60d. The quality of cut that comes from this deck is awesome, given the weight and tire sizes on the tractor. The x475 I got rid of had an edge deck on it. Without a mulching kit, the vacuum was not that great, so it had a difficult time pulling the grass up to cut it after the front wheels passed over. I found myself running the power flow bagger to create good vacuum for a good quality cut at 3.5". Naturally, that robbed the yard of the clippings, and meant less free organic nutrients for the lawn. I loved the tractor, but hated the deck.

I also travel a lot for my occupation. It becomes difficult to keep up with the 1/3rd rule. If the lawn get's a little tall, I've found that a second mowing after the clippings dry cleans the yard up pretty good. When all else fails, spread the heavy spots with the leaf blower. With, or without the mulching kit, I'd end up giving a large part of the lawn a second mowing.

I have been eyeing the mulch kit, but I've just read too many mixed reviews on the end result of the cut quality.
I like this 60d as well, it does a nice job. I am still using the original blades after 6 years. I keep them sharpened and all still looks good. I contemplate buying new ones each spring then cheap out. I HATE clippings laying around after mowing. My 185 has a bagger, but it's not always on the machine. I have found if I raise the 60d up all the way then drop it just a touch, and mow back over any clippings, it makes them disappear. I too have eyed the mulch kit and those reviews. I mainly would like it so I can mow up against our landscaping, going in any direction.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have to agree. The main reason I have considered the mulch kit is because of my landscaping as well. No matter how hard I try, I end up with clippings in the mulch. Most of it I can disperse with the leaf blower, but I've got to figure something out. My OCD is not content with clippings in the beds! I just don't know if I can sneak another $350 through the finance department right now. Hahaha. The overall results of the mulch kit have me uneasy about sealing the finance approval as well. I am looking to throw a set of G6 gators on and see what happens though.

·
Corndog Hater
11,777 Posts
I have to agree. The main reason I have considered the mulch kit is because of my landscaping as well. No matter how hard I try, I end up with clippings in the mulch. Most of it I can disperse with the leaf blower, but I've got to figure something out. My OCD is not content with clippings in the beds! I just don't know if I can sneak another $350 through the finance department right now. Hahaha. The overall results of the mulch kit have me uneasy about sealing the finance approval as well. I am looking to throw a set of G6 gators on and see what happens though.
I had figured I would go with a Gator blade of some sort too. I've used the leaf blower on the clippings in the mulch beds as well. My method is to make 3 passes with the grass being dispersed away from the mulch beds, then change direction. But, when I'm done, I have to do the mow over again trick I mentioned above so there are no clippings laying around. My biggest issue is when school is out, my bride and sons mow and all rules are off. They usually remember to make the 3 passes, but then sometimes forget to change direction or who knows what. But at least they are giving me a hand. It's not easy being semi OCD about the landscaping.:lol:

·
Registered
968 Posts
I appreciate the greetings gentlemen!

It is looking as though I'll have to give it a try myself, and post the results. From what I can see from photos I've found of the kit itself, along with the assembly instructions, and putting my good eye on the clearances between the deck and rear tires....... it should work. I have taken the time to adjust and get my deck all setup to lift to the absolute maximum, and run my gauge wheels in the lowest possible setting to get a good 3.5" cut. The only issue I could see running into is if the yokes for the striper were set in a high position(for low cut height) and the deck was raised completely.

Oh well, I've ordered the kit from the dealer. The wife wants stripes, so the financial department approved the purchase. I will just pray I don't break her heart if it doesn't work. But if all else fails, I will just have to get creative!

Not to sound stupid but what is stripes when talking about cutting grass? Yes I can see some tractor tire marks but they disappear in couple hours.

·
Registered
2,587 Posts
Not to sound stupid but what is stripes when talking about cutting grass? Yes I can see some tractor tire marks but they disappear in couple hours.
Glad I'm not the only idiot. I felt I was reading this whole thread in another language lol. I thought you just installed blades and cut grass. I guess there's more to it.

Quick online search striping is basically making the grass lay different ways when you cut it so the light reflects off the grass in different ways so you get that clean sexy look on your lawn like a baseball field or something.

I basically let my grass get like 12" high. Then it looks super sexy when I cut it down at the lowest setting. I know it looks good cuz everyone tells me so lol.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Glad I'm not the only idiot. I felt I was reading this whole thread in another language lol. I thought you just installed blades and cut grass. I guess there's more to it.

Quick online search striping is basically making the grass lay different ways when you cut it so the light reflects off the grass in different ways so you get that clean sexy look on your lawn like a baseball field or something.

I basically let my grass get like 12" high. Then it looks super sexy when I cut it down at the lowest setting. I know it looks good cuz everyone tells me so lol.
So much more to just mowing. Curb appeal! Without the stripe kit, the 1025r/60d does a decent job. But the rollers should help the lighter spots between the rear tires.

Attachments

·
Registered
527 Posts
Reactions: ColonyPark

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
This past weekend, I made up a little different setup with a rubber flap to stripe. The results were fairly pleasing. Right now I'm out of town for work, but should be home by the weekend to pick up the striping roller, assemble, and cross my fingers.

Here is what I'm using right now, and the results.

Attachments

·
Registered
474 Posts
I have plans in my head to build a striping kit for my 1025r as well. If you don't find something in the meantime I'll post a build thread when I get started you can feel free to copy/steal my ideas. Mine will be for a 54" not a 60" but adjustments will be minor to scale it up the required 6".

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I'll keep my eyes out for it.

I know the Deere BM23648 kit fits the 1 series well th 54d without any issues, even though Deere says not. The clearances on the 60d to the rear tires is much tighter. So, that one is questionable. The dealer just called and said my order is in, so we gonna learn when I get home in a few days!

·
Registered
474 Posts
I would think putting a striping kit on a drive-over deck would be rife with issues. I plan on making a 3pt brush and roller combo that should be effective. Need to work out some adjustment for height besides the upper link if I can. Will for sure be a budget build.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I would think putting a striping kit on a drive-over deck would be rife with issues. I plan on making a 3pt brush and roller combo that should be effective. Need to work out some adjustment for height besides the upper link if I can. Will for sure be a budget build.
Bm23648 is the kit for the X700 drive over decks. I've seen it used without any issues. It mounts to the existing gauge wheel yokes. Simply unlock them as you would with the normal gauge wheels.

There is actually a video on the tube of a guy with an x758 with a 7iron 60 drive over and the striping roller on it. If I remember right, it's. It an auto connect, it's one of the decks that you have to drive forward off of.

I prefer it to be a part of the deck, because then I don't have to have the 3ph on the tractor. Also, one attachment does it all. But, I have the feeling it's not going to fit, or it will give me issues in a few small areas of my yard. If it does work out, I do plan to buy a second set of rear gauge wheel yokes so I can easily switch from the roller striper to the standard configuration. As with everything else, Deere is proud of those too. They are about $75 for each bare yoke.

However, I do like the results of a roller and brush combination.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts