Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im just curious, for those other 1025r owners with the 60"MMM, how often do you have to change your blades? Just trying to compare, bought mine June 15, I've mowed my 4 acre yard around 8-10 times this summer with it, replacing blades for the first time this week, is that about right??

·
Premium Member
14,747 Posts
Lot cheaper to take the blades off and sharpen them. SIL father x585 had same blades on his 54" and it had over 800 hrs on tractor. Guessing the mower was used at least 700 of those 800.

I've never brought new blades., yes I have a extra set in case of bend a blade. Sharpen my blades about mid summer , clean the under side of deck once or twice a summer.

·
Administrator
20,729 Posts
Replacing the blades vs sharpening them isn't very economical. But to say when maintenance or replacement is required is very dependent on how often you mow, how much you mow, and the mowing conditions such as the grass and soil types. You have to make the decision based on experience and inspections. :good2:

For me, about twice a year works great. I put about 100 hours a year on my mower.

·
Registered
572 Posts
Im just curious, for those other 1025r owners with the 60"MMM, how often do you have to change your blades? Just trying to compare, bought mine June 15, I've mowed my 4 acre yard around 8-10 times this summer with it, replacing blades for the first time this week, is that about right??

Everything you need to know about your mower blades: How to tell you need to sharpen them, various of methods of sharpening and balancing your blades.
From Roger Cook of This Old House.

If you've already purchased a new set, you've can use them in rotation, or to replace a seriously bent blade.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I mow 3 acres about 28 to 30 times a year. I have 2 sets of blades that I use and sharpen once a year and replace them every 4 years. Hope this helps.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,780 Posts
I still have the original blades on my 2011 1026r's 60" mmm. So far I have only needed to sharpen the blades in fall when I put it away for the winter. Now, I only put 20 -30 hours a season on my mmm. I only mow lawn grass, seldom if ever hit stones or dirt with it. I think my blades will last 10 -15 years.

·
Read Only
1,932 Posts
I bought my 1025r in June 2014. I have mulching blades and the standard blades. Both I just sharpen a couple times a year as needed. If you don't have the means to sharpen them the dealer probably can. I paid $8/blade to have the dealer sharpen them once. Do it myself now.

How often you sharpen them depends on how often you mow, type of grass and soil and how much you mow. I've got fairly decent bluegrass and clover with several large trees over 1.75 acres.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
22,754 Posts
I still have the original blades on my 2011 1026r's 60" mmm. So far I have only needed to sharpen the blades in fall when I put it away for the winter. Now, I only put 20 -30 hours a season on my mmm. I only mow lawn grass, seldom if ever hit stones or dirt with it. I think my blades will last 10 -15 years.
While I don't have an SCUT (does it really matter?) I am about the same here. I mow my 3 acres of grass area (not a real lawn) ~17 times a year - probably put ~40 hours on the deck itself. I am on season 3 without even having to sharpen them (Gator blades) but will probably touch them up with a file when I remove them this fall. I see these blades lasting 10-15 years also.

This is how they looked this spring after 2 seasons without touching them -

DSCF0108.jpg

·
Corndog Hater
11,688 Posts
5th summer with my blades (they are the original blades on my 1026R), just keep sharpening them. Mowing 3 acres, every week. I do plan on replacing them next year.:good2:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts