Green Tractor Talk banner

What have you or are you going to do about the air cleaner assembly on your 1025r?

• Already Replaced the air cleaner and you paid the cost.

Votes: 23 32.4%
  • Already Replaced the air cleaner and the Dealer paid the cost.

Votes: 6 8.5%
  • Already replaced the air cleaner and Deere paid the cost.

Votes: 11 15.5%
  • Had to get a new engine and it came with the new air cleaner.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Waiting for Deere to pay 100% or it won't be replaced.

Votes: 13 18.3%
  • You are waiting for Deere or the Dealer to work with you on sharing the cost.

Votes: 9 12.7%
  • You plan to do nothing and leave the air cleaner just like it is.

Votes: 8 11.3%
  • You have had the old style system repaired already and you are going to leave it as is.

Votes: 1 1.4%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The issue with the air cleaners on the 1025r, from 2013 to some time in 2018 has caused some concern with tractor owners. Some have already replaced the air cleaner assembly at their own costs. Some have had their air cleaner replaced by their dealer, a couple of required a new engine due to the damage from the air cleaner mounting system breaking the valve cover and depositing metal pieces into the engine.

In the discussion threads, some indicate they are waiting for Deere to take a formal approach with a manufacturer paid replacement program before they will take any action. Others have said they will just leave the air cleaner as it is and should it cause engine damage, they plan to "go after" Deere at that point and make them replace the engine. There are others who have discussed this issue with their dealers and waiting to find out who is going to pay for the replacement of the air cleaner assembly.

So, if you have a 2013 to 2018 John Deere 1025r what are your plans for your tractors air cleaner assembly? Or what actions have you already taken to resolve this issue?

Note, the 1023e uses either the original system used on the 1026r or the new system used on the 2018 and newer machines. So, this issue doesn't impact either the 1026r or the 1023e, just the 1025r model tractors until the new system was used in early 2018 models.

·
Registered
773 Posts
Mine is still under warranty. No problems but I'm keeping a close eye. If anything breaks I'll be asking for a free retrofit. If I see anything suspicious with the valve cover, I'll be jumping on it. I check every time I use the tractor now. When my coverage runs out I'm going to retrofit even if I have to pay out of pocket. I'm not going to purposely break something to get the retrofit. I wouldn't feel right about it.

·
Registered
3,414 Posts
Sulley,

I voted for my son, as he doesn't frequent the forum much at all. As an FYI, my 2018 1025R purchased in June of 2018, already had the updated air cleaner from the factory. My son purchased his in March of 2018, with the old design. However, his tractor was produced sometime in February. I contacted our dealer for my son, in return the service manager contacted his JD rep, and they agreed to replace his at no charge. Apparently sometime in April or May, JD started using the new design on all 1025R's.:unknown:

·
Registered
968 Posts
I read this on the initial post:

Note, the 1023e uses either the original system used on the 1026r or the new system used on the 2018 and newer machines. So, this issue doesn't impact either the 1026r or the 1023e, just the 1025r model tractors until the new system was used in early 2018 models.

It befuddles me why they would be good to start with then change to different (creating a problem) when what they had was without issues. Generally when something works well .......why change it?

If it was the cut cost it had to do the exact opposite in the over all picture.

·
Registered
92 Posts
At this point I'm in the process, I guess, of trying to get the parts for free to do myself. I'll know more about what I am looking at in just a bit, then I have to put the old one back on since I have stuff to do. However, I'll be back in touch w/the dealer tomorrow.

·
Super Moderator
2,448 Posts
...It befuddles me why they would be good to start with then change to different (creating a problem) when what they had was without issues. Generally when something works well .......why change it?
That's the million dollar question.

Reactions: PJR832

·
Super Moderator
2,448 Posts
I just wanna throw this out there again, in case some people haven't seen it. This was posted by jd110 in another thread:

"The bulletin states that tractors affected were built between June 2015 and April 2018."

I don't know if it's 'Program # 18LV188' , 'DTAC: number 116873' or 'Solution #113718 that states that. jd110's post is the only time I've seen mention of the affected dates.

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
FYI, this also affects the early GenII 2025R.

·
Premium Member
9,131 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I bought the parts and installed them myself last fall. I hadn’t had any issues with my old air cleaner bracket at all but didn’t want to take the chance heading into winter. My 1025r is a 2014 model
I also didn't have any issues and in fact, I put a torque wrench on my valve cover mounting bolts and they were spot on where they are supposed to be. I ended up sending my strap to a GTT member who had broken his and my saddle bracket to another GTT member who needed it. I had no use for them and just wanted to see someone get some good out of them. Otherwise, in 10 years, I would find them in my toolbox one day and then throw them away...

I have a 2014 1025R. I bought the parts and replaced myself this spring for piece of mind. I also think it runs quieter without so much rattling.
I also think it runs quieter and seems to have less "vibration". Removing that mass off the valve cover bracket studs has to at least visually make the vibration seem less. All I know is that I just wanted to not think about it ever again......

I can't even imagine what the noise level must be like on the machines which end up dropping the saddle bracket on the ground when it falls off the tractor. That big hunk of metal rattling and banging around on top of the engine seems like it would make one heck of a racket which would be hard to overlook. But we have had 3 pictures I have seen where owners found the saddle bracket on the ground and inquired as to what it was and where it belonged. That's a big hunk of steel to be bouncing around under the hood......:dunno:

At this point I'm in the process, I guess, of trying to get the parts for free to do myself. I'll know more about what I am looking at in just a bit, then I have to put the old one back on since I have stuff to do. However, I'll be back in touch w/the dealer tomorrow.
The actual switching process is super easy. I don't think it took me 10 mins to remove the old and install the new. Mounting the canister assembly off of the radiator core support is a much better location. Also, the canister bracket used in the "new system" is a improvement over the bracket used in the 1023e and the 1026r because it doesn't require the two bolts to be secured under the canister assembly. Someone was thinking when they initiated that upgrade.

I just wanna throw this out there again, in case some people haven't seen it. This was posted by jd110 in another thread:

"The bulletin states that tractors affected were built between June 2015 and April 2018."

I don't know if it's 'Program # 18LV188' , 'DTAC: number 116873' or 'Solution #113718 that states that. jd110's post is the only time I've seen mention of the affected dates.
I specifically didn't reference the dates as I have heard and seen conflicting information on the actual dates of the machines involved. It would be helpful to know if there are any "trends" in the units which have had valve cover damage and required an engine replacement. Perhaps serial number ranges or actual production dates. Another issue is one source claimed the machines with the issue were in a much narrower range of dates, which I won't even quote to avoid fostering any more misinformation since there is already enough confusion.

In the meantime, if someone has a tractor with the ait cleaner mounted on the valve cover, they should check the 3 nuts on the valve cover to make sure they are tight (properly torqued) and that the strap isn't broken. If someone finds either their "nuts" are loose (on the air cleaner mount) and or the strap is broken or has already failed, they should contact their dealer's service manager for further instructions. Honesty is always the best policy. Each owner needs to do whatever they feel is best for their situation, etc.

Reactions: jdforever

·
Registered
2,967 Posts
I am in need of the update and I take a very hard look at the intake manifold every time I put the tractor away for the day.
I have already re torqued the bracket and replaced a broken strap.
Since, unlike some of the talented members on this site, I don't have the extra cash to spend on rectifying this design error right now.
I am hoping Deere proposes a broader mandate and with luck I find a dealer who would allow me to perform the exchange.
Absolutely not convenient to transport the machine for such a simple procedure.
With any luck the multiple threads on here may attract a factory reps' attention?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Pictures

anyone have pic's of the new Air Cleaner Bracket replacement...my 2018 hasn't shown any cracking or is it loose..but it is bolted to the rocker cover....

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
All those poll options and my answer isn’t there: Planning on replacing it myself with the new assembly.

Why would the affected date begin in June 2015? Mine was delivered in March 2015 and has that sucky air cleaner bracket.

Reactions: PJR832

·
Read Only
1,932 Posts
I have a 2014 1025R. I bought the parts and replaced myself this spring for piece of mind. I also think it runs quieter without so much rattling.
Glad I’m not the only one who thinks it rattles less. I also like that I don’t have to take the whole air canister off to replace the filters. Just seemed dumb to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,780 Posts
How many different brackets are failing?
Only one type?

·
Administrator
18,291 Posts

·
Premium Member
252 Posts
I went in to buy the parts yesterday as mine was fix as fail and it was worth the peace of mind, and the dealer said they would do it at no charge. I bought used from a different dealer, but have been doing business with them for years. I was pleased.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Tractor Tim
1 - 20 of 44 Posts