Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bought my 1025R in 2015, but I believe it's a 2014 model. in any case the air filter bracket is heavier (see pics) than the ones that are breaking. Noticed a strange noise last time I mowed and found the bracket to be loose. Cannot see any damage and I plan to take the bracket off tomorrow to check for damage under it before retightening and using it. Went to see my dealer this afternoon and they looked it up and said that they were doing the upgrades under warranty but that mine didn't fall under it. Showed them (service desk and tech) my pics/video. The tech discussed it with us and said that they should do a DTAC to see what John Deere says because in his opinion it poses the same potential for damage to the valve cover. Will keep you updated.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Save your time and heart ache. Forget about the dealer. Go on the web, green farmparts and others and order the replacement parts. Inexpensive easy install and your done. Not worth tractor damage to save $100

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Save your time and heart ache. Forget about the dealer. Go on the web, green farmparts and others and order the replacement parts. Inexpensive easy install and your done. Not worth tractor damage to save $100
Thanks! I will absolutely be doing that if they decide not to do it under warranty. Just wanted to see what they determined and let other folks know.

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
Thanks! I will absolutely be doing that if they decide not to do it under warranty. Just wanted to see what they determined and let other folks know.
I had the same bracket on mine. Nuts started coming loose. Dealer said ours are not covered under the bulletin.
I ordered all the upgraded radiator panel supported parts and did it myself.

·
Registered
747 Posts
I had the same bracket on mine. Nuts started coming loose. Dealer said ours are not covered under the bulletin.
I ordered all the upgraded radiator panel supported parts and did it myself.

Same here, $150 now or a whole ton later if something breaks...
Should I have had to pay to do it, no, probably not... Did I lose sleep over having to buy parts and do it myself... no
Compared to the cost of another engine, the cost to update air filter design is cheap!!

·
Registered
372 Posts
I say bullchit to all of it.
150 bucks ain't inexpensive to everbody.
If it's a poor design and they know it, they need to stand up and be responsible to take care of any damages, to any machine with same design.

What's good for the goose is good for the gander.

·
Registered
720 Posts
If it's a poor design and they know it, they need to stand up and be responsible to take care of any damages, to any machine with same design.

What's good for the goose is good for the gander.
I think what some people are saying is, is it worth the time an effort to get it to the dealer to have it done as opposed to buying it yourself and installing it. One guy said the dealer would come to his house but it would be a $100 service call. Or in my case, I would have to haul the tractor a 100 mile round trip costing me gas and time. Even more if I have to leave it there. So free all of a sudden isn't so free. I won't be going to the dealer for repair work unless it's cost effective or I can't do the work.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Nothing broken

Took the air cleaner off today and the valve cover is not broken. I am waiting to hear from my dealer.

Last time I had warranty service done, they came to me...no charge. If I have to take it in, that is no problem. I really doubt they will cover this and I am prepared to replace it on my own as several of you have. You are right, it is cheap insurance.

Thanks to all.
Ken

Attachments

·
Registered
372 Posts
I think what some people are saying is, is it worth the time an effort to get it to the dealer to have it done as opposed to buying it yourself and installing it. One guy said the dealer would come to his house but it would be a $100 service call. Or in my case, I would have to haul the tractor a 100 mile round trip costing me gas and time. Even more if I have to leave it there. So free all of a sudden isn't so free. I won't be going to the dealer for repair work unless it's cost effective or I can't do the work.
I don't disagree with your way of thinking.

My comments have nothing to do with taking it to the dealer, them coming to me, or who does the work to remedy the known existing problem.

My comments are about right and wrong.

·
Premium Member
13,422 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
There is already an extensive discussion going on about this. Enjoy

New Air filter update. FREE.
You are correct. However, my tractor has an older style bracket (welded plate) that isn't covered as far as I know. It is still bolted on in the same place and manner and that's my concern. There are 2 issues. One is the style of bracket that is breaking (stamped steel) and the other is the damaged engine due to the cast aluminum valve cover breaking and falling into the engine. The "free" bracket program seems to target only the tractors with the style of brackets that are breaking (not mine) and not the damaged engine (that seems to be covered under the engine warranty after the fact). I have no fear that my bracket will break, but since it is bolted to the valve cover in the same manner I worry about the possible engine damage.

My dealer is less than 5 miles from my home and I use my tractor to mow grass and plow snow. 50 hours in 4 years. So unlike a lot of you I can do without it for a week if necessary. My post was simply put it out here that there could be an issue with older tractors as well and it may or may not be covered under the program. I will be installing the newer style filter at my expense if they will not cover it. That's good insurance in my opinion. I will post any new information I receive from my dealer about the situation in the hope that it may help one of you.

Thanks to all, Ken.

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
As far as I know, there have been zero failures* of the earliest 1025Rs - which gives reason to why they are not included in the replacement program. If the flaw exists in those early models, should we not have expected to see some failures by now? They are the ones with the most hours on them.

*intake runner failures, the kind that causes engine damage

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Heard from my dealer today. As expected my type of air cleaner is not cover by this program. He did say that several 2025s had this issue and they were included. Told me to keep an eye on it and if I had trouble to let them know and they'd look at it again. I'll just replace it on my own as I said and not worry again. Thanks to you all.

·
Registered
375 Posts
I personally had issues with the early heavy welded bracket design (2014 model). The air cleaner would shake hard enough to cause a sharp slapping noise at certain RPMs. It would also cause the air cleaner canister "fins" to wear through the mounting strap. I resolved the issue by wrapping some 1/8 inch rubber around the canister to stop the slapping noise and then just replaced the rubber when it wore through from the shaking.

This year I replaced the engine mounted air cleaner with the radiator mounted design at my expense. There was a reason that John Deere's fix moved the air cleaner back off the engine and a reason why they didn't just go back to the heavy welded bracket design.

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
As far as I know, there have been zero failures* of the earliest 1025Rs - which gives reason to why they are not included in the replacement program. If the flaw exists in those early models, should we not have expected to see some failures by now? They are the ones with the most hours on them.

*intake runner failures, the kind that causes engine damage
If this were the reason they didn't include the earlier models for replacement by the company, why wouldn't they revert back to that style of bracket for newer models instead of redesigning the whole system for the newer ones? The placement of the assembly on the intake runner was the real problem and that is common to both earlier and later models.

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
If this were the reason they didn't include the earlier models for replacement by the company, why wouldn't they revert back to that style of bracket for newer models instead of redesigning the whole system for the newer ones? The placement of the assembly on the intake runner was the real problem and that is common to both earlier and later models.
I don't know why, and I am not saying that the heavier bracket is the reason why the oldest models are not part of the replacement program. I don't think having a more massive bracket is helpful with regards to the intake runner cover.

There are two facts that I am going off of.

1) There have been zero intake runner failures of the earliest 1025Rs. These are the ones that have the most hours on them, and statistically should have the most failures.
2) Deere specifically has excluded the earliest 1025Rs from the replacement program.

Based upon these two facts I must concluded that there is something different about the early 1025Rs. The extra beefy bracket is one thing, the straight hood brace that presses against the intake hose (and therefore serving to dampen vibration) may be another.

·
Premium Member
8,856 Posts
The real interesting thing about the entire air cleaner bracket story is that the 1026r always used the core support mounted air cleaner assembly and never did use either version of the valve cover mounted support bracket style. Why they felt the need to have one style air cleaner on the 1026r and then change it to the welded bracket like the OP and then the stamped style support bracket (like my tractor had) would be interesting to know. Effectively the "new" style replacement for the 1025r and 2025r tractors is the 1026r style system with some slight changes which improved the ease to attach the bracket to the core support and to tighten the air cleaner with fewer hands / tools.

The first image below is the early 1023e and the second image is the "later serial number" 1023e.

The 1026r is the same as the early model system

The "new" air cleaner system is very similar to both the original system on the 1026r and the system used on the 1023e but with a change to the bracket holding the canister to the core support making it easier to tighten the bracket which holds the canister to the core support. I tried to post a screen shot of the "new" system but for some reason, the site won't add a 3rd to this despite trying it 3 times.....

Attachments

·
Premium Member
761 Posts
I think your bracket is so strong like the one I had that the top of the valve cover would go...sending pieces internally....bad setup...better replace with upgrade...

1 - 20 of 21 Posts