Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone. I am in a pickle. I bought a 647 tiller in the crate at an estate sale late last fall. ($1,600 = stole it). However, he was planning to use it on a X700 series garden tractor. Hence the pto shaft is too short for my 1025R. I didn't think of this due to my excitement so shame on me. I'm still ahead but spring is getting later and I haven't tilled anything due to rain and then discovering my dilemma.

What pto shafts are out there which will work? It needs a pto clutch on it. I am looking for makes, model #'s, and vendors. Agrisupply has a few that are affordable but I do not want to order unless I am assured I am ordering the right one. I know I can measure but I am asking on here from those of you who have already been down the path just to be sure.

I would greatly appreciate some feedback from the members. Thank you in advance. I really need to get that garden tilled and planted. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
7,949 Posts
Hello everyone. I am in a pickle. I bought a 647 tiller in the crate at an estate sale late last fall. ($1,600 = stole it). However, he was planning to use it on a X700 series garden tractor. Hence the pto shaft is too short for my 1025R. I didn't think of this due to my excitement so shame on me. I'm still ahead but spring is getting later and I haven't tilled anything due to rain and then discovering my dilemma.

What pto shafts are out there which will work? It needs a pto clutch on it. I am looking for makes, model #'s, and vendors. Agrisupply has a few that are affordable but I do not want to order unless I am assured I am ordering the right one. I know I can measure but I am asking on here from those of you who have already been down the path just to be sure.

I would greatly appreciate some feedback from the members. Thank you in advance. I really need to get that garden tilled and planted. Thanks in advance.
It the machine were mine, I would contact the Deere parts department and find out which PTO shaft they have specified to work with your machine and the tiller. If the PTO shaft for the x7xx machine is new and unused, you might be able to trade it towards the shaft which is right for your machine. If anyone is going to likely have a customer for the x7xx PTO shaft, its the dealership.

As you said, you could measure it as well. Personally, with the Frontier Tiller and the 1025R tractor, I would just step up to the plate and make sure to get the right PTO shaft which is specifically designed for your machines. It takes some of the "deal" off the estate sale purchase, but you want to make sure the shaft is PERFECT for your machine and that the PTO shaft slip clutch is also proper for the horsepower of your machine.

While the rear PTO shaft on your tractor is pretty stout, too long a PTO driveshaft can do some very serious damage to the tractor's PTO drive system. Also, a PTO slip clutch which doesn't provide the relief your machine would need should you encounter an obstruction can cause some damage.

Yes, you might pay a little more at the dealer for the PTO shaft, but you will get the proper shaft designed for the machine and implement and you might be able to also find a home for the PTO shaft which came with the tiller. That's what I would do.............

·
Registered
12,292 Posts
I would buy the pto shaft, Agri-supply is a good source. There are some things to keep in mind, hookup to the tiller as if you are going to till and measure how long of a shaft you'll need. THis would include a quick hitch, you'll gain almost 4" in length needed with a quick hitch.
It is very simple to cut a pto shaft to the correct length.
How to Measure and Cut a Tractor PTO Shaft - YouTube

Also, look at the shaft coming out of the gearbox of the tiller, some are splined and some are smooth. Make sure you get the correct one for your tiller, the tractor is obviously splined. You will want a slip clutch, you can adjust that to meet your needs, IMO these small tractors don't really have enough gusto to snap a shear bolt.
But, as I said, if anything you'll want a pto shaft that is a little long, very simple to measure and cut it the proper length.

·
Super Moderator
7,889 Posts

·
Registered
12,292 Posts

·
Registered
1,261 Posts

Do you have a quick hitch on your 1025 now? If so, you may be able to get by with the existing PTO shaft if you remove it and hook the tiller up directly to the 3pt. As mentioned above, a QH will increase the needed shaft length and, thus, if you remove it the shaft can be shorter. Even if this isn't what you want to have for a setup long term it may allow you to get the garden tilled ASAP while you figure out the right replacement shaft.

Rob

·
Registered
2,551 Posts

I personally would follow Sully s suggestion. Bet the even have the correct one in stock if you have a good dealer.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I read another thread about the extender but I was hesitant. I will try the extender given the positive experiences in the reviews I have read. The JD pto shaft is nearly $1,100. I can't return the pto shaft due to the fact it has been used and got a little banged up when the shaft came apart during use.

Usually I would get the part designed specifically for the situation but the cost is crazy. I can buy an inferior tiller for the cost of the jd shaft.

I appreciate all of the suggestions. I will update you gentlemen after I have used the extender. Hopefully it works just fine.

·
Registered
3,829 Posts

·
Premium Member
237 Posts
PTO shaft for 647? I'll measure mine tomorrow and give you dimensions and Agri-fab info so you can save some money. My shaft came with the tiller and clutch from JD. It's the same shaft Agri-fab sells. I've purchased clutch discs from Agri-fab. JD wants to sell the whole clutch! That's just plain nuts!!

·
Registered
35 Posts
PTO shaft

I had this same problem on my Gandy over seeder when I put it on my 2032r for the first time. I started looking for a new longer shaft and found the pricing more than I wanted to spend. I talked to enough people and was pointed to my local FleetPride store that did pto shafts. They were able to change the shaft that went into the front yoke with a new one long enough to meet my needs. I just changed the front section and it works great. Search for a pto shop in your area to see if they can do this for you. It cost me 150 bucks, while a new shaft would have cost 400 and still be too short. Gandy uses Weasler which they had to order.

·
Registered
118 Posts
PTO shaft

I would get the correct one from your JD dealer.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Did the same thing a couple years ago, took a 647 tiller that had been used with an x748 and moved it to a subcompact, 2305. Needed it right away so headed to the local tractor supply. The local dealer was crazy expensive, like $700 and said a week, maybe longer to get it. At tractor supply I got a universal slip clutch that was spline in and spline out and also got a universal PTO shaft of the nearest approximate length. The new shaft also has a push button quick connector on each end. Removed the clutch and shaft from the tiller, then snapped on the universal clutch. The clutch I got also has a push button quick connect on the tiller side. Then measured and cut the universal shaft to fit. It's just a standard tube style that slips together. I pulled it apart and cut half the necessary amount from each half of the shaft. The tube cuts easily with just a sawzall and metal cutting blade.

Installed the shaft on the clutch and tiller then checked for clearance to the tractor with the tiller in the down position, but I did not leave it connected to the tractor. I raised the tiller fully and checked for clearance with the tiller in the up position. When I was sure it was not going to put pressure on the tractor in any position, only then did I connect it up. Having a shaft that's too long can and most likely WILL severely damage the aluminum transmission case. You always need to verify that the shaft is long enough to not come apart, but not so long that it could push against the tractor. Be sure to check in several ranges of lift as the implement may get closer or further away when lifted or lowered.

It has worked perfect ever since and seems smoother than the old shaft ever worked. The whole thing cost less than half as much as getting it from the dealer and the push button release is WAY easier to get on and off than the lock ring style shaft that came from Deere. The clutch looks identical to the original right down to the color. Only difference, the old one was spline but bolted to the tiller and would not separate from the shaft. After install I adjusted the clutch so it would just barely slip while tilling virgin ground. I like it even better because now it's quick and easy pop the shaft AND clutch off to store indoors. Still have the other shaft in case it needs to go back on the other tractor.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
And for now the winner is the pto extender. It worked flawlessly this morning and the garden is tilled. Thanks for the suggestion and all the comments. This is truly one of the best forums I have ever been involved with. Thanks again everyone.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts