Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wondering if any fellow 1025r's have used a land plane with their 1025R? I have over 1000 feet of gravel drive to maintain and the online videos sure make the land planes look like the cats meow. I found a 60" Frontier locally for a really good price but that thing weighs nearly 500 lbs. Once that gets loaded with some gravel, it seems like quite a strain on the mighty mite 1025, even in low. Maybe a 48" is more appropriate?

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
I don’t have a 1series, mine is a 2 series. But I do pull a 60 inch Frontier land plane. The big question is do you have hills? If yes, I would go with a smaller one. If no, then you might be able to pull it. Leave your loader on so your front tires will dig in 4wd. I’m sure someone has tried it, they will let you know soon. For the land plane to work great, it needs to dig well and fill up with gravel. I would rather have a smaller one that I could work hard than one too big that I couldn’t let fill up.

·
Registered
3,687 Posts
This landplane is 84 inches wide,, that is only 24 inches wider than the 60 inch one you are considering.

The 84 inch landplane is fully capable of stopping the tractor in the picture.

That tractor weighs more than 5X the weight of the 1025R.

I doubt that a 1025R and a 500 pound landplane can move more than 300 pounds of gravel,,,
what is that,, 2 wheelbarrows of gravel?:dunno:

·
Registered
498 Posts
Wondering if any fellow 1025r's have used a land plane with their 1025R? I have over 1000 feet of gravel drive to maintain and the online videos sure make the land planes look like the cats meow. I found a 60" Frontier locally for a really good price but that thing weighs nearly 500 lbs. Once that gets loaded with some gravel, it seems like quite a strain on the mighty mite 1025, even in low. Maybe a 48" is more appropriate?
I use a 60 inch frontier to maintain my gravel drive. Works very well for me when front ballasted and in 4wd

·
Registered
145 Posts
Is there any chance to rent one from someplace?

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
748 Posts

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
If you consider the discussions on this site about a 4' versus 5' box blade on a 1025r as a guideline (and I think it is a relevant comparison), you would probably be ok using the 5' land plane. As with the bigger box blades, you may get bogged down more quickly if you try to go too deep, but if you make a few passes, lowering further each pass, I would suspect it would work fine. Of course, this is just speculation on my part, I have no experience with a land plane, but they do look nice for gravel road maintenance!

·
Premium Member
3,928 Posts
Did not know what a Land Plane was till just now. I like the way it can cut in and work the dirt in this YouTube Video. If I did not have a 6 ft Box Blade I would be in the market for one myself. They do look like it needs a big tractor when it digs in.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LZV1o_s49_M I might have to buy a couple cutting edges and build me one using my favorite Steel Place to get the bigger steel needed to make it. I like the way it grades with out tearing things up to much.

·
Registered
203 Posts
I have only used mine on a small section of flat driveway so far. I was pleased with how well it done in that but it was not really enough to take pictures. It’s definitely heavier than the box blade I had but the tractor didn’t seem to struggle at any point with the 48. The land plane cuts much better than the box did. I didn’t put the rippers down because I don’t have a lot of stone on my driveway and I didn’t want to pull up dirt. I would be a little hesitant about the 60” on the 1 series. I would imagine if I was to be coming up a hill with it loaded that would be all it would want to handle. Keep in mind the working width is 48” but total width is 54.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
47 Posts
I would likely go with a 48 for the 1 series if it were me because as said above by Yank I would want it to dig in well and mix well before spilling over the rear. I am currently using a Woods GSS60P with my 3039r that i had originally purchased with my Gen1 2032r. Without using the scarifiers, setting a cutting depth on the 1st blade to 3/8" and leaving the rear blade level with the skid shoes i would stop the 2032r in low range when full. This was with unloaded turf tires in 4x4. The tires would spin because it did not have the traction to pull it when full and i would have to feather the 3pt lift which will give the driveway a wash board effect.

Fast forward to now with the 3039r, large filled R4's in 4x4 A range I can run it in any condition. For my application though the driveway comes out better the faster I go. So i tend to use 4x4 in B range 90% of the time. There is 10% of the time where it may bog down the tractor in B range if I am going up a slight incline and the implement is full. This is usually my own fault because i do not wait until enough of the moisture has left the driveway and it it somewhat damp at the landing.

·
Registered
160 Posts
I pull a 60” Frontier Land Plane behind my 1026R. I have an 1800’ drive with hills, and it works like a dream. Run and get it... If you have used anything else to do your drive then you will immediately look back and regret all the work you did on your drive before getting the LP. It’s that good.

I’ll just add: I have, a handful of times, managed to barely run out of traction when going up my steepest (30deg) hill with an absolutely heaping full load. That, however, is pretty easy to avoid. The tractor pulls anything less than an absolutely full load even up that hill just fine. I’d bet that with wheel weights or chains I wouldn’t even have that issue. It’s pretty easy, however, to only work when the gravel is dry enough (but not too dry) and clean enough (leaves & sticks cause buildup) that I never have a problem. Even if you do then just grade any 30deg slopes downhill or lighten the load a bit before going up. Seriously... get the 60. =)

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
I have only used mine on a small section of flat driveway so far. I was pleased with how well it done in that but it was not really enough to take pictures. It’s definitely heavier than the box blade I had but the tractor didn’t seem to struggle at any point with the 48. The land plane cuts much better than the box did. I didn’t put the rippers down because I don’t have a lot of stone on my driveway and I didn’t want to pull up dirt. I would be a little hesitant about the 60” on the 1 series. I would imagine if I was to be coming up a hill with it loaded that would be all it would want to handle. Keep in mind the working width is 48” but total width is 54.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
MowJoe, I knew you would love it. There are no comparisons for working a gravel driveway. The land plane is the way to go.

Reactions: MowJoe

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Turns out it was an 84" (Frontier LP 1184) but the deal was so good I could not pass it up. I have the option of cutting it down to a manageable size or just selling it for profit to put towards a smaller one.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I hooked up the 84" to my 1025 yesterday and out of curiosity I pulled out on the gravel and gave it a go. WOW, is pretty much my reaction. These things really do kick gravel butt. I know the correct way to use them is to set the plane flat but I was afraid that it would load with too much gravel so I lifted the front about an inch so that the front plane would only catch the highest points of the drive. I ran my the little deere in low and it pulled the 84" plane easily even fully loaded with gravel but there were a few spots that the gravel over took the plane and stopped me. I was able feather the three point while I pulled the plane and I would slightly lift the plane when it felt like the load was starting the challenge my traction. I'm impressed with both the plane AND the ability of the the 1025. The biggest negative I experienced is that it is difficult to keep the plane on the original drive's footprint because it sticks out so much beyond the tractor. I ended up with gravel a foot to a foot and a half onto the grass so I have to rake that stuff back in and level again more carefully. Bottom line, I'm even more motivated now to get the correct size plane so that I can focus on setting the tractor where the driveway sides are and not looking back.

·
Registered
1 Posts
1025 R pulling a 60 inch Land Plane

Just bought a 60 inch frontier 1160 Land Plane and was wondering if there are any instructional videos on how to run it properly??? Im sure I could figure out how to get it flat with the three point adjustments, but Id sure like to see actual videos of how guys work their driveways with it Thanks from a NEWBIE.. Gary O

·
Registered
56 Posts
I too would love to get a 60" land plane for my drive which is 470' long just to the big open area where it comes to my garage area alone. Watch the videos on YouTube of a land plane in action for a SCUT and get an idea. I think the 1025R could handle a 60" for sure.

Ironically, I use a 60" box blade to go over my drive but yesterday I used my 60" landscape rake and reversed the tines to agitate the gravel to bring the embedded gravel up. I then went over the edges then the middle. My last three passes were angling the rake inward then a final straight pass over the center of the drive. Everyone asked, you get gravel dumped in? Nope, just used that landscape rake to work the gravel from the embedded ones to draw to the top. Looks like a fresh drive!

·
Registered
336 Posts
My land plane is a bit over 48" wide and it seems ideally suited for the 1025. In 4x4 he tractor pulls the plane up my rather steep driveway with virtually no effort, but will spin the wheels in 2 wheel drive with a full load ...
I'd recommend getting one this size … :bigthumb:

G

Attachments

·
Registered
85 Posts
I have a 2025r and got the LP1160 with it...my machine pulls it fine, so I'm sure the 1025r would too...especially if it had loaded tires. Deere does make a lighter weight version of the 60" plane if you're worried about it performing well.

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
Fill your bucket with rock to gain front traction.
leave front edge high as you have done previously.

I pull a 12' plane behind my 955.

Up hill is a challenge but doable ...just gotta not let it fill.
If it dose..find a handy spot to dump it and catch it on the return trip back down hill.

What I like is ..one pass..just gotta not hang it up on a tree or fence post.

Driveway is 1/2 mile...the one pass part is nice..And its Not flat. 300' elevation change but no sharp turns. just one short steep curved section then flat then up again but straight.

I have rock dumped at my gate..the TOP. Load plane ( basicly build a pile and drop plane on it) from pile and head downhill , its like theres nothing behind me and it works great. It empties rather quick because of the crown in road and my plane is flat and 12' wide. It dose a great job of floating over the ditch on uphill side and ripping out any and everything above said grade ( ground ZERO)

If your on dead flat ground things would be much different.

:munch:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts