Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Everyone.

I'm still in the dreaming phase of purchasing a 1025R and I was wondering how many people would recommend running a PTO chipper with their 1025R ?

I currently use a portable chipper/shredder but it only takes in small diameter branches and it's a PITA to use . I would like to chip up 3-4 inch diameter branches and I know that most PTO chippers will do it but I wonder if it would work a 1025R too hard while doing it?

I have watched a bunch of TTWT videos but haven't seen Tim run a chipper yet.

I'm not sure of the cost of a frontier chipper vs other brands but using John Deere's 0 % financing has me thinking.

Let me know your thoughts.

·
Premium Member
14,912 Posts
SIL this summer bought a used Woods chipper (not self feed) and uses it on his JD2305 . Runs it fine ,,no issues

·
Super Moderator
5,212 Posts
The Wallenstein BX42 is fairly commonly used with 1-series machines. Bought mine from a guy that used it with his Deere 2305. Wallenstein discontinued the BX42 but the slightly smaller BX36 should work just fine.

Reactions: makenlittle

·
Registered
4,295 Posts
I'm going to recommend againat the Frontier chopper, in spite of the 0% financing. They are made by Peaquea in Pennsylvania. My neighbor has/had one and I tried it out prior to buying my first chipper. It didn't chip well at all and the chute angle seemed awkward. I don't think the blades were dull as the neighbor is on top of his maintenance and keeps his equipment in top notch shape.

Take a look at the chippers from Woodmaxx. They have a hydraulically fed machine for about $3k that a lot of people really like. People also like their Wallenstein chippers.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

·
Read Only
1,932 Posts
Woodmaxx would be one. The model TM-86H is the model designed for sub compact tractors. Woodland Mills also makes a chipper designed for sub compact tractors.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
12,506 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
I also have a chinese bx42 from Titan as well. Works great, very simple build(exact same as old wallenstein). $1800 delivered to my driveway. Eats 4 inch branches. 1025r tractor feels like its got plenty of juice to run it.

·
Registered
4,295 Posts
I am seriously intrigued by this chipper. The guy apparently has no issues running it on his 1023E with iMatch...exactly my setup. The non-hydraulic chipper that I rent every so often is always a struggle.
I don't think you can go wrong with either the WoodMaxx 8800 or 9900 machines. You will pay a bit more for them than a Chinese BX42 knockoff, but... :good2:

I'm also a big fan of hydraulic feed. I've had a manual feed chipper and I can tell you that the hydraulic is a much better option!

·
Registered
284 Posts
i have the woodland mills chipper on my 1025r (wc-46). Thing is pretty awesome, chips up to 4 inches as advertised, tractor handles it just fine. Highly recommended.
^^^this^^^

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
I don't think you can go wrong with either the WoodMaxx 8800 or 9900 machines. You will pay a bit more for them than a Chinese BX42 knockoff, but... :good2:

I'm also a big fan of hydraulic feed. I've had a manual feed chipper and I can tell you that the hydraulic is a much better option!
Yeah, if I do this, I'd spend the extra for a machine with hydraulic feed. Under $3000 and free shipping seems like a pretty good deal to me. My concern with the Woodland Mills machine is their advertised limitation of 3 inch branches, and user reports of problems if feeding larger chunks. The chipper I rent is manual feed and limited to 3" too. It just doesn't take the twisty sumac trunks that seem to make up a good percentage of what I feed it. The videos of the guy with the WoodMaxx suggest that some pretty big branches are feasible.

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
37,841 Posts
Yeah, if I do this, I'd spend the extra for a machine with hydraulic feed. Under $3000 and free shipping seems like a pretty good deal to me. My concern with the Woodland Mills machine is their advertised limitation of 3 inch branches, and user reports of problems if feeding larger chunks. The chipper I rent is manual feed and limited to 3" too. It just doesn't take the twisty sumac trunks that seem to make up a good percentage of what I feed it. The videos of the guy with the WoodMaxx suggest that some pretty big branches are feasible.
Keep in mind 4" stuff is pretty big for these small tractors. A 4" branch the quickly necks down to < 3" is fine but a long 4" not so much.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I also have a chinese bx42 from Titan as well. Works great, very simple build(exact same as old wallenstein). $1800 delivered to my driveway. Eats 4 inch branches. 1025r tractor feels like its got plenty of juice to run it.
Hello GasKing,
When you use the BX42 with your 1025r, do you have to use a quick attach for the 3 point? Or can you connect the BX42 directly to the 1025r (without a quick hitch)? I know the PTO has a telescoping shaft, I just don't want to saw/cut the PTO shaft.

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
Keep in mind 4" stuff is pretty big for these small tractors. A 4" branch the quickly necks down to < 3" is fine but a long 4" not so much.
As it turns out, that thing doesn’t even choke on 6 inch diameter trees and branches...although ash has been the extent of my hardwood needs.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Hello GasKing,
When you use the BX42 with your 1025r, do you have to use a quick attach for the 3 point? Or can you connect the BX42 directly to the 1025r (without a quick hitch)? I know the PTO has a telescoping shaft, I just don't want to saw/cut the PTO shaft.
I have the Titan BX42 on my 1025r. I do have a QH but when I run the chipper it is sitting on the ground.
We got lucky on our chipper. It was end of last year and got it delivered for $1050. At that price I was more than willing to give it a go instead of paying 3X that for the Wallenstien.
4" green pine was easy peasy. I even chipped a 2x4 to see if it would. It did.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts