Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We are getting a new garage/shed constructed over the next couple of weeks.
So, the temporary "tent" needed to be moved.
Since the materials for the new shed are to be delivered soon, we thought it would be useful to use the "tent" to cover the materials before and during construction.

So, the question is, how do you move a temporary "Auto-Shelter" which isn't strong enough to be dragged, and isn't worth the effort of disassembling/re-assembling?

The following video shows our solution to the challenge, and the results, while successful, are in my opinion rather humorous.

The main point here is that with some creativity, you can accomplish pretty much whatever you want with one of these little tractors.

What do you think of this approach? How would you have handled the challenge differently?

·
Registered
4,257 Posts
Nice move :thumbup1gif: I never would have thought that would work with ladders, I probably would have taken it apart/moved/re-assembled and taken up a whole day.

Amazing what our tractors will do.

Thanks for sharing.

·
Administrator
17,321 Posts
Love it Tim! :yahoo:

·
Registered
4,948 Posts
Nice job Tim!! I have a tent which appears to be the same size, 10' x 20'. I may have to move it so your video is timely and helpful. I don't have a backhoe but suspect the iMatch on the rear may be able to work the same. If not I can probably drag it since the left and right sides are fastened to a 2" x 6" x 20' double plate.

Thanks again! :thumbup1gif:

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Seeing it from the side the first time with the back near the ground driving across the yard was pretty funny. :laugh:
Yea, it looked pretty funny in real-life too. Hopefully you can tell by the comments on the video that we were having a great time.
I don't know if I'll ever use the tractor for something which is actually NECESSARY, but we've had an enormous amount of fun with it.

·
Premium Member
10,057 Posts
...but we've had an enormous amount of fun with it.
How often in life do you get to say "Hey, someone's stealing the shed"? :lol::lol:

Just think, someone somewhere is posting a photo on Facebook talking about their neighbor driving a tent across the lawn. :greentractorride:

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Nice job Tim!! I have a tent which appears to be the same size, 10' x 20'. I may have to move it so your video is timely and helpful. I don't have a backhoe but suspect the iMatch on the rear may be able to work the same. If not I can probably drag it since the left and right sides are fastened to a 2" x 6" x 20' double plate.

Thanks again! :thumbup1gif:
Marlin,

The 2x6x20 double plate would make this building a lot more sturdy/stable. Great idea. That never even occurred to me when assembling it.
It will also make the move MUCH easier. I don't think the 3 pt Hitch would have worked very well for me because it wasn't far enough back.
However, with the double plate, it should work great for you. Also, if you have a boom pole, or something similar to extend the 3 pt lift rear-ward, it would be even better.

·
Registered
4,948 Posts
Marlin,

The 2x6x20 double plate would make this building a lot more sturdy/stable. Great idea. That never even occurred to me when assembling it.
It will also make the move MUCH easier. I don't think the 3 pt Hitch would have worked very well for me because it wasn't far enough back.
However, with the double plate, it should work great for you. Also, if you have a boom pole, or something similar to extend the 3 pt lift rear-ward, it would be even better.
The 2x6's were of a 'recycle' nature, taken down from a large arbor I made years ago. I screwed the bottom flange of each pole to the plate to add weight against wind/storms off the Oregon coast. 30-45mph or so. Also I picked up concrete blocks from Home Depot and set them on the plate inside. It's worked well for about a year now and hasn't done a Mary Poppins on me. :good2:

·
Registered
3,687 Posts
I just got back,,,
I tried that with my shed,,, it did not work,,, the 36 yards of concrete would not budge,,, :flag_of_truce:

Am I doing something wrong ?? :dunno:

That is a great solution,,,, :bigthumb:

I kinda did the same thing once, in reverse,,,.
I needed to press in the lower seal on a JD trailer type bush hog gear box.
The bolts holding the gear box were rusted solid, there was no room to swing a hammer,,,

SO, I put the seal in place, placed a block of firewood under the seal, and lowered the mower,,

The seal went right in,,,

·
Registered
4,948 Posts
I just got back,,,
I tried that with my shed,,, it did not work,,, the 36 yards of concrete would not budge,,, :flag_of_truce:

Am I doing something wrong ?? :dunno:

That is a great solution,,,, :bigthumb:

I kinda did the same thing once, in reverse,,,.
I needed to press in the lower seal on a JD trailer type bush hog gear box.
The bolts holding the gear box were rusted solid, there was no room to swing a hammer,,,

SO, I put the seal in place, placed a block of firewood under the seal, and lowered the mower,,

The seal went right in,,,
Not at all, you just need a bigger tractor. :laugh::laugh: Maybe a couple of these!!
Big J Deere.jpg

·
Premium Member
2,884 Posts
Very cool.

I have a friend that once moved a single wide garage 5 miles on country roads in a similar manner but with a Mercury Marquis and a rigging of beams through the windows.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Very creative Tim.

You're a much nicer guy than me. I'd have had her doing it with the tractor facing the other way. Then grab a chair, sit back, and watch the show.:laugh:
Sounds like fun ... At least for awhile!

Perhaps that is the difference between newlyweds and folks that have been married for 23 years!?!

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Very cool.

I have a friend that once moved a single wide garage 5 miles on country roads in a similar manner but with a Mercury Marquis and a rigging of beams through the windows.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk
Carvel,

As my dad would say 'The first liar doesn't have a chance! ....'

Just when I thought we had accomplished something someone comes up with a better story!!!

I would love to have seen that Mercury move in progress!

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Menards ShelterLogic AutoShelter 10' x 20' x 8' Instant Garage Review

Before we moved the shed (thinking we might destroy it), we decided to put together a review, showing how it held up after an entire year's use and abuse.

The summary is that we found the structure to be a good value for $200. However, don't expect it to last forever.

If anyone is considering buying one of these temporary structures, you might find this informative.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts