Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi folks. Just picked up a 68 hour 2015 1025R FILB last weekend. Used it last week to mow and this weekend to remove and replace a small channel drain beside our driveway.

My left control stick (which controls left/right swing and boom up/down seems to be sticky and it makes it very difficult to precisely control these movements. I sprayed some lube on the ball/clevis linkages but that didn't help.

It looks like a little gasket is missing where the pushrod goes into the control valve -- see below. Three of the four rods have a gasket and the one doesn't. Would that matter?

Any other ideas/suggestions?

Tractor was purchased from an out of state dealer, very clean, lightly used. Still under warranty so I can certainly take it to my local dealer. Just wanted to avoid the hassle.

Thanks!

2016-11-14 13_26_03-file (Large).jpg

file1 (Large).jpg

·
Registered
448 Posts
I will take a good look at mine tonight but I'm thinking that this is a wipe so debris doesn't get down into the controls. The biggest reason mine was jerky was because I tried to operate it at full throttle thinking that's what I needed. Actually if you move the throttle to IDLE and run it its much easier to control. Still not as smooth as I like it but manageable.

Reactions: BigJim55

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes, I tried a few different RPMs. The problem is mainly a mechanical "stickiness" -- meaning that once I move the lever, say, to lower the boom, if I let go of the lever, it doesn't recenter. I have to pull the lever back into neutral and to overcome the "stick" I have to pull hard enough that it then nudges the other direction.

·
Premium Member
1,130 Posts
Try doing a search . I believe there are a few threads about the same issue . Please let us know what you find out . My backhoe is still new so I would be interested in knowing if this is something to watch for .

:gtfam:

·
Registered
448 Posts
I didn't use my backhoe at all this year. It sat outside in the elements uncovered. I know this is sad but just don't have the room for all the implements to store indoors. I went to use it a couple weeks back to remove a stump and I know exactly what your talking about. Mine appeared to have a mind of its own but I noticed it when I was actually hooking it up to the tractor which can be dangerous. But anyways out of frustration with the tractor off I grabbed the controller and moved in back in forth in all directions as fast as any mad man freed from a loony bin would. With luck mine came back to normal. I'm guessing it was a bit sticky from lack of use and by moving it back and forth it was re-lubricated as it should be. It also appears that the one you show as a missing part looks just like mine. So either we both are missing it or it doesn't come with it. I guess at this point without taking the valves apart I'm not sure what else to suggest.:banghead:

·
Registered
474 Posts
Seems like all the control valves are the same in terms of seals. I don't see a specific part number for the item referenced in the picture but it looks like they would be the last ring on the spool valve itself (Right most groove as pictured).

spool.jpg

Reactions: KE8LW and BigJim55

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
37,847 Posts

·
Registered
377 Posts
A lot of threads on this, all seem to be a little different in how they happen but same issue. I still get mine sticking every once in a while, no rhyme or reason except that it only does it when the stabilizer is down with pressure on it. I've been doing alot of stumps lately and it has not happened, so who knows.

Reactions: Gizmo2

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
It looks like a little gasket is missing where the pushrod goes into the control valve -- see below. Three of the four rods have a gasket and the one doesn't. Would that matter?
The boom control spool valve is not like the others. What you have pictured is normal.

Reactions: Gizmo2

·
Registered
147 Posts
I started the topic in post #8 above. Sounds like you may have the same issue I am having. I'm having my third complete valve installed tomorrow morning (under warranty).

I don't know what is going on but the repair guy is very knowledgeable and says these values should be bench tested before being sent out. He's not all that happy with the situation either.

I think I priced that valve correctly - it says it costs well over $3000.

I have a brand new tractor and haven't been able to use my backhoe for over 2 months now. So much for buying John Deere new.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Well - third valve was just installed trying to fix my identical problem. And the boom up is still sticking. Nothing to do with the hydraulics, as it sticks (won't return to center) whether tractor is on/off, or stabilizers up or down.

With the first valve it was left/right boom swing (or the spool on the right). With the last two valves it was the up/down (or second spool from right). As mentioned above, this seems to be a mechanical sticking with a rubbing noise when moved.

Now I'm worried that I have an unfixable problem - and one that is unsafe.

·
Registered
147 Posts
OK - here is what I think may be some useful information.

That second spool from the right is the boom up/down. And it is different from the others in that it has a float setting - I think the guy said it is something at the bottom of that spool that makes it different from the others. After taking this spool out and doing something with that thing-a-ma-jig at the bottom, this spool is now moving freely.

In addition, he made some adjustments to the various linkages - there are some ball joints in there that can be too loose or too tight. After messing with and fine tuning those, the levers all seem to be moving much more smoothly now - and more importantly - returning to center when let loose.

This not returning to center is not only dangerous, but also makes you look like a clutz when operating the backhoe - something that I don't need any help in demonstrating. :mocking:

·
Registered
12,508 Posts
well that's good news to hear,:bigthumb: glad all that is ironed out, now u can go and use it. good!!!!

·
Registered
3,554 Posts
Happy to hear of the fix! I know how frustrating hydraulic problems are with JD, I had Floppy Bucket Syndrome with my loader until they fitted the new valve body.

That "float" position on the boom makes it much easier to get a level bottom on a dig. Curl the bucket down slightly, float the boom and pull in with the dipper (crowd) and uncurling the bucket slightly until it's full. Raise boom, curl bucket and dump as usual... Keeps one from having to feather that boom valve all the time while crowding and adjusting the bucket. BTW, don't engage the float while the bucket is above the bottom of the hole. It could be far more embarrassing than a "quick retraction clang", it drops QUICK.:laugh:

Reactions: RandyM

·
Registered
10 Posts
I just received my brand new 1025r yesterday with the 260 backhoe and it is doing the exact same thing as what you guys are talking about. It's sticking in the boom and swing potions. Scared the heck out me the first couple times. I left a message with my JD dealer, interested if they have seen this problem before. I will let JD deal with it as being under warranty. I will post when I have updates.

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
37,847 Posts
I just received my brand new 1025r yesterday with the 260 backhoe and it is doing the exact same thing as what you guys are talking about. It's sticking in the boom and swing potions. Scared the heck out me the first couple times. I left a message with my JD dealer, interested if they have seen this problem before. I will let JD deal with it as being under warranty. I will post when I have updates.
There are a couple of threads on here with people having sticking controls.
http://www.greentractortalk.com/forums/sub-compact-utility-tractors-scut/21621-260-backhoe-stick-controls-boom-too-fast.html

·
Registered
4,437 Posts
OK - here is what I think may be some useful information.

That second spool from the right is the boom up/down. And it is different from the others in that it has a float setting - I think the guy said it is something at the bottom of that spool that makes it different from the others. After taking this spool out and doing something with that thing-a-ma-jig at the bottom, this spool is now moving freely.

:mocking:
wait, so did you just remove the float detent?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Having had the opportunity to use the back hoe since my purchase due to frozen ground. Definitely great information on the float feature that I was not aware of... This probably saved me a real lot of hours of awkward hoe operation. This form and its members are a wealth of information! Thank you!

·
Registered
474 Posts
Happy to hear of the fix! I know how frustrating hydraulic problems are with JD, I had Floppy Bucket Syndrome with my loader until they fitted the new valve body.

That "float" position on the boom makes it much easier to get a level bottom on a dig. Curl the bucket down slightly, float the boom and pull in with the dipper (crowd) and uncurling the bucket slightly until it's full. Raise boom, curl bucket and dump as usual... Keeps one from having to feather that boom valve all the time while crowding and adjusting the bucket. BTW, don't engage the float while the bucket is above the bottom of the hole. It could be far more embarrassing than a "quick retraction clang", it drops QUICK.:laugh:
I use the float from as high as I am without any issues. What i usually do is dump the spoil then start left/right with the boom. When I get the trajectory down I throw it into float while continuing to move left/right. If done correctly you can lower the boom, cross feed and dipper out/uncurl at the same time. Three functions for the price of two open hydro valves and it removes the jerk from the boom valve...still leaves the jerk in the seat though! :laugh:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts