Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While digging through some rocky ground the back hot pins popped out. It not in the best position for getting it back installed on the unit. Wanted to see if anyone had any good advice for getting the backhoe back on the system. We seem to get one side sort of right but can not get the unit setted in the bottom brackets. Thanks

·
Registered
528 Posts
I quite often have to take my BH off and leave it outside. All I can say is be patient, keep the engine at idle and operate the hydraulics very slowly and be careful. Everything works very quickly when there isn't any load on it. Be careful not to stress or pinch the hydraulic couplers or hoses. I've also used a large tapered punch to help line up the holes and a hammer to help tap the pins home.
If the safety clips are coming out of the pins, I'd use some small cable ties to hold them in the closed position. Good Luck and let us know how you made out.

There's some threads on here that members have left with instructions for a dolly to make taking your BH off and putting it back on and rolling it around the shop for storeage. Worth a look.

·
Registered
927 Posts
If you need to lift up one side to get it lined up, use the outriggers/stabilizers. Leave the hydraulics hooked up and lower one or both stabilizers to lift it into position. Works like a charm.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I take mine off and put it back on all the time. Have rarely had any problems and the pins slide right out and in. You have to use all the hydraulics and just think about which one is going to move it in which direction which is really 6 degrees of motion (up/down, forward/back , left/right, rotate in pitch, yaw and roll). I guess we can list them all:

Outriggers control up/down (together) and roll (individually)
Main up/down lever controls pitch (while at the same time affecting front/back, but that's a good thing because it moves it forward while rotating/pitching it right into position generally)
Left/right lever controls yaw
Moving the tractor controls front/back of course, but you can also adjust this a little with a combination of up/down lever and extension of the arm and bucket.
Left and right is tough after you've already backed up, but you can also control this a little with a combination of the outriggers and the left right control.

Bottom line is get it as lined up as you can just by backing up squarely. You shouldn't ever need a hammer to get the pins in - if you do, you're doing it wrong. They shouldn't pop out either - were the retaining pins slid down inside their retainer slot?

I usually take it off in less than two minutes and get it back on in about three (sometimes a little longer). It takes me longer to get the 3-point hitch on and off. I have been extremely happy with how well their engineering is in making this thing easy to get on and off. Don't forget to put a 6-8 inch block of wood underneath it or it may settle down too low to get the hydraulics hooked back up - that will make your life very difficult.

I have the 260B by the way. Not sure how easy the others are.

·
Registered
49 Posts
i forgot to include the picture in my post.
6degrees.png

·
Premium Member
14,085 Posts
Takes time and practice to get it back on .

No has asked ,,,how did pins fall out for the BH to come loose. I've dug in some hard ground for a few days and have let to have a pin come unhooked.

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
slight hyjack....

Can you switch a JD BH to CAT controlls.?

Most all machines ( EXcavators ) have this option.
Not sure about Kubota BH's but the mini ex's have the valve.

I've tried both just for fun...preferr the "cat" style. as dose everyone I know..unless they only learned on an old school JD

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Takes time and practice to get it back on .

No has asked ,,,how did pins fall out for the BH to come loose. I've dug in some hard ground for a few days and have let to have a pin come unhooked.
Not sure how the pins came out just found one one the road driving back to the house after it came off.

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
slight hyjack....

Can you switch a JD BH to CAT controlls.?

Most all machines ( EXcavators ) have this option.
Not sure about Kubota BH's but the mini ex's have the valve.

I've tried both just for fun...preferr the "cat" style. as dose everyone I know..unless they only learned on an old school JD
Not really, you can, but it is not easy. You have to switch hoses and spool valves. I also much prefer the SAE (CAT) controls to the ISO (Deere), but I have gotten used to ISO out of necessity.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Not sure how the pins came out just found one one the road driving back to the house after it came off.
Thought I would update you found out how it happen. It came off because it was not attach on the bottom just attach by the two pins holding it in.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts