Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I was in a hurry, and I dug a little hole for brace for a fencepost, without attaching the loader and using it to brace. Now there's a squealing noise from the backhoe at idle, which goes away if I use any of the hydraulics (even just moving the outrigger legs). I noticed the machine shifting some while i was digging - did I bend something important? Any ideas?
I'm almost at 50 hours so I figure I'll get the dealer to take a look, but it'll be a few days before they can get a truck out, so I thought I'd ask the learned folks here. In particular, do you think it's a bad idea to do a little more work with the backhoe in the meantime? I'd really like to get that fence finished...

Thanks all,
Seth

·
Premium Member
2,136 Posts
It definitely sounds like a hydraulic squeal, not a binding squeal. Check to make sure all the control levers are centered. Maybe one of the them is stuck off center slightly. I spray my BH control valve lever pivots regularly with penetrating lube.
PS I wouldn't use the BH without having the FEL attached. I don't believe it will necessarily hurt the tractor, although, you have allot of weight hanging on the back of the tractor with no weight on the front. Pulling with the BH will almost assuredly, lift the front of the tractor while digging which can cause an unstable situation, not to mention while driving the tractor, you may end up setting the tractor on the BH with the front wheels off the ground. :good2:

·
Registered
471 Posts
Welcome:wgtt: from St. Louis.

Just a shot in the dark but maybe check to see if the hydraulic fluid is low?:dunno:

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Welcome:wgtt: from St. Louis.

Just a shot in the dark but maybe check to see if the hydraulic fluid is low?:dunno:
Thanks everyone!! It wasn't scientific, but I greased everything, tightened the bolts on the valve housing, unmounted and reattached it, and something in that fixed it. I'm also going to figure out how to check the hydraulic level because I never have, and hit to get access to lubricate the lever pivots.

I never use the backhoe with the loader, except this time my wife wanted me inside in an hour, and I thought I'd get away with it. Things flexed a lot more than I was comfortable with, so I shan't try that again.

Thanks again!! I love GTT, you all are so helpful and friendly!!

Seth

·
Premium Member
2,136 Posts
Thanks everyone!! It wasn't scientific, but I greased everything, tightened the bolts on the valve housing, unmounted and reattached it, and something in that fixed it. I'm also going to figure out how to check the hydraulic level because I never have, and hit to get access to lubricate the lever pivots.

I never use the backhoe with the loader, except this time my wife wanted me inside in an hour, and I thought I'd get away with it. Things flexed a lot more than I was comfortable with, so I shan't try that again.

Thanks again!! I love GTT, you all are so helpful and friendly!!

Seth
Sometimes things are just a mystery!! :dunno: There is a dipstick to the right of the accessory hydraulic pump at the rear of the tractor. This is where you check the trans/hydraulic oil. See "A" in the picture below.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,838 Posts
Sometimes things are just a mystery!! :dunno: There is a dipstick to the right of the accessory hydraulic pump at the rear of the tractor. This is where you check the trans/hydraulic oil. See "A" in the picture below.
10 to one the hydraulics were not seated correctly. The wife needs to learn to be patient with her husband or she may be crying over spilled milk and man. Takes two minutes at most to do it right. Don't get killed trying to keep her happy, she will thank you later for that.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Reactions: OxPath
1 - 7 of 7 Posts