Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just bought a 2019 1025R and love it - what a workhorse. I've seen some videos of guys trenching on subcompact backhoes and slowly moving the tractor along without getting out of the backhoe seat - which would really speed the work up. Anyone do this and have any tips? And yes, of course I know safety is important... Thanks!

·
Premium Member
979 Posts
Just bought a 2019 1025R and love it - what a workhorse. I've seen some videos of guys trenching on subcompact backhoes and slowly moving the tractor along without getting out of the backhoe seat - which would really speed the work up. Anyone do this and have any tips? And yes, of course I know safety is important... Thanks!
The brake needs to be off, lift the stabilizers up , and the FEL, you should have dug from furthest out to in (Close to tractor)that is where the hoe bucket should start out.... If you extend the hoe out with it stuck into the ditch bottom, it will roll the tractor forward or backwards from your perspective...It will take about 15 minutes to get the hang of it.

Once you get the hang of its comes natural.

·
Registered
2,942 Posts
This is an issue I noticed when a design change was made.
My 1025 is a 2015 and the seat spun around for backhoe operation instead of having two seats.
I speculated that the change would increase the difficulty of extending the dipper stick to move the tractor when trenching.
Looks to me that it would take some long arms to reach forward and accomplish now.

·
Registered
18 Posts
You stay in the backhoe seat, twist around, lift the front bucket and then use the backhoe to push the tractor forward or left or right.

As a teenager with a Massey Ferguson BH I routinely loaded the tractor onto a 5th wheel trailer with no ramps by using the backhoe and front end loader.

Bobby

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
What the others have said. Crowd the stick out slowly. You may have reach steering wheel to turn the front wheels a little as you go to keep your front going in direction you are heading. Back wheels can be picked up and moved with backhoe.
Just take it slow until you get hang of it as quick motions with controls and machine idled up can throw you around pretty good.

·
Registered
29 Posts
With the extra seat it is a pain, but it can be done. Took me about a half day to figure out how to work the front controls while in the BH seat. I figured out with my short arms to stand and reach over. :good2:

·
Premium Member
761 Posts
Personally I think JD went backwards with the two seats...I have a 2014 and love the versatility of using the hoe from the operators seat. I did change improved the swivel linkage with a larger rod and ends from McMasters. That was the weak link in the revolving seat...but now JD has the use of the hoe from the operators station blocked off with the new Design...I'll keep my revolving seat....other manufactures have...

·
Registered
2,942 Posts
Personally I think JD went backwards with the two seats...I have a 2014 and love the versatility of using the hoe from the operators seat. I did change improved the swivel linkage with a larger rod and ends from McMasters. That was the weak link in the revolving seat...but now JD has the use of the hoe from the operators station blocked off with the new Design...I'll keep my revolving seat....other manufactures have...
I feel the same way. After using the hoe a while and noticing that Deere made it a two seater in this tiny machine I thought man, what the shell are they thinking? :dunno:
I have to eventually add the McMaster parts you found eventually, but I'm still able to swivel the seat even though my rod broke off, it's just a little more difficult.

·
Premium Member
761 Posts
Jeff B: I went with the next size up components from McMasters in the stainless. This makes the ball shaft heavier. Works great....I can give you the numbers if you like.

·
Registered
458 Posts
Jeff B: I went with the next size up components from McMasters in the stainless. This makes the ball shaft heavier. Works great....I can give you the numbers if you like.
Yes Please. :bigthumb:
I will probably have to change them out on my 2016 as well.

·
Premium Member
761 Posts
In replacing the parts I went up a size to the 5/16 stainless quick connect and the joint. Also the stainless rod, believe it is 18 per inch....the stainless is heavier and will have more meat at the joint below ball. Also on the seat you will need to drill and rethread the hole and use a 5/16 lock nut. It's a little tight but will work. You'll need to remove seat but not dismantle it. Just use correct drill and carefully thread to get a tight fit...work the nut in the space and tighten. I still think one has to get the seat rod adjusted to length and then in use don't get rough in rotating ie. This is a good design just want take any rough spinning or jerking. I don't think you can go any larger on the joints due to space. I did get the 3/8 joints but didn't use. Acutally if you know the exact length one could well the ends on rod. I used lock tight. You wouldn't have to use the quick attach either as. You will need to drill a larger hole on the frame part of seat also. The break point is the steel below the ball to the attachment. You can PM if you have any more questions. It's not rocket science and is not intimidating once you see what's happening. You might want to shoot a little graphite on the rotating ring of seat also.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
761 Posts
I'm a super fan of the revolving seat. Even if I occasionally have to replace the pivots...it still allows full use of the backhoe from the operators seat while driving the tractor. Now having said that I suppose if you never had this maybe you wouldn't know the difference. I'm really surprised that John Deere didn't offer both configurations on the new machines. All those added positions in pins, step, didn't seem like much of an upgrade for the price....but sales is sales...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts