Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2014 1025R that did not come with the backhoe option and I want to add a JD backhoe. I have found one that someone removed and need to know what all I need to install it?

Thanks in advance,

Derek

·
Super Moderator
2,592 Posts
A couple thousand dollars if you get the needed parts from JD. :gizmo:

But seriously, you need a Power Beyond kit to get hydraulics to it, a sub-frame kit to mount it to the tractor, a swivel seat upgrade kit to be able to use the backhoe. The toolbox gets relocated to the side, the tail lights get raised using mounting brackets and it takes a different PTO shield. Those parts might come in one of the kits, possibly the sub-frame kit. You sure you still want to proceed? :munch:

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
A couple thousand dollars if you get the needed parts from JD. :gizmo:

But seriously, you need a Power Beyond kit to get hydraulics to it, a sub-frame kit to mount it to the tractor, a swivel seat upgrade kit to be able to use the backhoe. The toolbox gets relocated to the side, the tail lights get raised using mounting brackets and it takes a different PTO shield. Those parts might come in one of the kits, possibly the sub-frame kit. You sure you still want to proceed? :munch:
All of the necessary parts should be available from the seller taking the backhoe from his tractor-there is no need to spend thousands on more parts from the dealer if the deal with the seller is done correctly-I probably wouldn’t do a deal for a take off BH if it didn’t include all the parts, mounting brackets necessary.

That said-kylew is mostly correct-there are brackets, hardware and the proper hydraulic hookups necessary-best bet is to get the manual for the BH and make sure the seller provides everything or you get a price break equal to the cost of the missing gear.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you for replying. I contacted the seller and he has the frame brackets, seat bracket and PTO cover. The tractor has 70 hrs on it but I figure the backhoe was only used a few times to try it out. Called the dealer and there is a power beyond kit available for $240.00 and I can get the backhoe and needed parts for $2500.00 which seems reasonable??

·
Premium Member
252 Posts
Thank you for replying. I contacted the seller and he has the frame brackets, seat bracket and PTO cover. The tractor has 70 hrs on it but I figure the backhoe was only used a few times to try it out. Called the dealer and there is a power beyond kit available for $240.00 and I can get the backhoe and needed parts for $2500.00 which seems reasonable??
Not only reasonable, but a smokin’ deal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
Sounds like a good deal that includes all the parts you need and a GREAT price-RUN-do not walk back and throw your money at him!!!!:gizmo:

Reactions: Robnik and goat704!

·
Registered
967 Posts
Just my Two-Cents here. I have read a few threads on this very subject here on GTT. It is a long and difficult task to install the Power Beyond. I believe there is also a special torque wrench(?) needed also. Which is an added expense. If you have all the time, and some mechanic skills... I would go for it. There is also the possibility that you may run into problems if the parts don't fit or are missing etc. Me? Just hand it over to a JD Dealer to do and then you know it will be done right. Besides, they have the power to get all the necessary parts and knowledge of getting it right the first time rather than you running back and fourth etc. Check out GTT here and research those threads and you will gain a weath of knowledge. Look before you leap.

·
Registered
4,538 Posts
I'll just add that I hope you already checked the compatibility of your tractor and the BH up for sale. There are 2 models of the series 1 BH, the 260 and the 260B. And I remember reading that there is a year/serial number break on the tractor that changes from 260 to 260B compatible. There have been questions on whether the new 260B would fit on the earlier tractors, vice versa, and I don't remember whether those questions was answered or not.

I don't want to be a killjoy, but when things are priced so attractively, I always wonder "what's wrong with this scene?" $2500 for a relatively new BH setup is a smokin deal. But buyer beware.

Just my 2 cents and I hope things work out for you. You'll love the BH.

Reactions: Robnik

·
Registered
2,115 Posts
Manuals attached. If you have the "Independent Lift" option for the mower deck, it will change some of the hydraulic lines required. I have that installation manual, as well. Let me know if you need it.

Attachments

Reactions: jdforever and kylew

·
Administrator
18,513 Posts
Manuals attached. If you have the "Independent Lift" option for the mower deck, it will change some of the hydraulic lines required. I have that installation manual, as well. Let me know if you need it.
If you post it, we can put it in the tech library :good2:

Reactions: jdforever

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thank you everyone for your opinions and suggestions. I will be calling the owner tomorrow to pull the trigger. In regards to it "to good to be true" it is coming from a reliable person, a Mennonite that repairs John Deere tractors locally. They are incredibly honest. Thank you for the instructions. I have been a mechanic for 30+ years and have worked on all kinds of equipment so this should be a nice little challenging project. I would also like BXpanded thumb and Piranha bar unless someone has suggestions? I really don't need a tractor of this size but with bigger projects around the house it will help a lot. My tours as a mechanic in Afghanistan ended my time as a full time mechanic, 2 spinal surgeries and a replacement knee it was time to hang up the wrenches. Just waiting for warmer weather now to start my projects.

Attachments,,,,what are your experienced suggestions??

Derek

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Installation manual would be greatly appreciated!

Derek

·
Premium Member
935 Posts
I've replaced spools and upgraded hydraulics...I can tell you from expeeeeerience, is very $$$$$$ expensive....it would be cheaper to sell your tractor and get on outfitted to your taste....there's just no many bargains when it come to hydraulics...

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Not worried about the hydraulics part, I'm currently the service manager for a company that builds the fastest (12,500 lbs/hr) most reliable paper shredder trucks in North America. Our engineer is amazing with the design of hydraulic systems, if I needed parts they would be inexpensive from our suppliers.

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
I've replaced spools and upgraded hydraulics...I can tell you from expeeeeerience, is very $$$$$$ expensive....it would be cheaper to sell your tractor and get on outfitted to your taste....there's just no many bargains when it come to hydraulics...
What is this post in regard to? Was there something in this post that has led you to believe that major replacement or repairs are necessary to something the OP has or is considering? Why the cautionary tale?

·
Registered
2,115 Posts
Installation manual would be greatly appreciated!

Derek
With your experience, you won't have any trouble at all. I'm gathering this request was for the "Independent Lift" installation manual, which I've attached.

Attachments

Reactions: kylew

·
Premium Member
9,344 Posts
What is this post in regard to? Was there something in this post that has led you to believe that major replacement or repairs are necessary to something the OP has or is considering? Why the cautionary tale?
I have to agree with balrog006, this should be a matter of simply mounting the necessary parts on the OP's tractor, he is adding a backhoe purposely built for the machine he owns, so there shouldn't be any hydraulic related surprises which make this a deal killer.

My only cautionary piece of advice for the guy buying the backhoe is I would take the VIN number of the backhoe and run it through the UCC database and make sure the seller of the backhoe doesn't have a loan on his machine and this is a quick way to raise cash for some reason. I have been shown information by the dealer where roughly 8 out of every 10 of these SCUTS's sold are financed through Deere credit and the shortest length of the typical loan is 5 years (60 months) where many of the TLBH units are financed out as far at 8 years (96 months). If the person selling the back hoe has a loan on his tractor, the backhoe is part of the collateral and without Deere specifically providing a lien release on the item, I would proceed VERY Carefully.....

This happens a lot more often than people seem to realize. If the seller has a loan and frankly, I would want proof he does or doesn't have a loan and this would include a copy of the original purchase paperwork and also running the VIN number through my dealer to see what their records show and also running it through the state's UCC Lien program, to make sure the backhoe isn't listed as loan collateral by VIN number........

If you go to your states "Secretary of State Office" or whatever your state might call its vehicle licensing bureau, this is where you will find the link to search the UCC Lien in your state. You could also just Google "UCC Lien Database for _______(State)" and that would likely take you to the link needed to double check.

This maybe why the backhoe is such a "Great Deal".........at $2,500................Maybe they just don't know what its worth, which seems unlikely.............all they have to do is look it up.:dunno: Or maybe this is a quick way to raise cash.

I have spoken to a few people selling either implements or attachments they bought which they weren't using and in a couple of cases, the equipment had loans on it. The sellers I spoke with seemed to think they could sell the items as they had paid their payments on time and they were sure the stuff they had was worth more than they owe. It doesn't matter what they "think", a lien is a lien and buying equipment which someone else holds as collateral is not only illegal, its a great way to end up in a lawsuit with the creditor.

Three times in my life I have had to sue to get back equipment which I held a lien on which the person making the payments had sold to someone else. Every single time, my equipment was returned to me and not only was the buyer out of their money they paid, either they and / or the person who sold them the items I owned, had to pay my legal fees.

One case was a OBGYN Doctor who was trying to be a nice guy and help out a friend. It ended up costing him $35k and the worst part was, he took out a personal promissory note at the bank to get the money to buy the equipment I had liens on. So, he was out the money he paid, he had to repay the bank and the lawyers fees. When I approached him and pointed out the facts of the case, he immediately had my property returned to me and was genuinely a victim himself.

He made a legitimate mistake trying to help someone so I didn't press criminal charges against him, I simply felt he had been skinned bad enough being out the $35k he borrowed and gave to someone to buy the items. Of course the money he paid to his "then former friend" was already gone. In the end, the Dr. sued his attorney who failed to run the UCC Lien check to protect the doctor when he had the lawyer draw up the loan documents between he and his "former friend" and the lawyer ended up having to settle with the doctor. (By the way, in my original lawsuit, I sued the Dr.'s Lawyer, who initially blocked my attempt to recover my property and he also ended up having to pay me damages....)

Funny thing was, had the doctor used the equipment as collateral to the bank he borrowed the money from, they would have found the UCC Lien and never made the loan. But he was in a hurry so the bank agreed to make the loan on a Promissory Note against his medical practice accounts receivable accounts and he planned to repay the loan within 90 days. He still had to repay the loan and he was out the money as his deadbeat friend had spent it when this all surfaced when I noticed my collateral was being loaded on a trailer and hauled down the street...........See how messy these simple things can get?

Always check out deals which look to good to be true........

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
SulleyBear I can honestly appreciate your concern, no one is more wary then me when it comes to a "to good to be true deal". I live in rural southern Ontario and am surrounded by Mennonites ( Canadian version of the Amish), the backhoe is owned by a Mennonite. They do not borrow money for anything, farms, barns, businesses and big equipment is all paid by cash, if they do not have the cash on hand they don't buy anything. I purchased it from a Mennonite so not to worried about any money owed against the equipment. He purchased this for doing small jobs around the farm that his wife does and she has no use for a backhoe. As for not understanding the value of the backhoe he has a business fixing farm equipment mainly John Deere stuff for other Mennonites. However they do not normally deal with "outsiders" but I guess growing up in the area gives me some credibility???? They are honest god fearing people and must adhere to the church rules, they deal in good faith and expect no less in return, you have to be a man of your word.

Dozens of horse and buggies pass by my driveway everyday and it seems weird to the outside world but it's normal for me, so back to my original post that's why I posed the question because I was pretty sure it's a good deal but wanted to make sure. I live in a unusual tiny part of Canada!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts