Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,493 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
I've been waiting for another mega-storm like last year's ever since I got the 54" front snowblower, and today I got one! We were on generator power for 8 hours and my driveway (1000') was obliterated by 3-4' snow drifts. In some places, the 48" marker poles were buried. The part of the video where one of them is sticking out like 6"...there are three more next to it that you can't see under the snow.

I apologize for the audio, my phone apparently doesn't like the cold.

I'm super happy with this setup for snow.

066.jpg

072.jpg

075.jpg

·
Premium Member
1,493 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I am soooo jealous....I've been waiting for a snow like that for 2 years since I got my tractor and 54" blower. The most we've had is maybe 6".
That's what I was afraid was going to happen to me! You're cursed! :)

·
Registered
12,523 Posts
:bigthumb::bigthumb:-thanks for making the video-love them action shots:laugh:

·
Registered
2,782 Posts
Yeah you guys got hammered!
My cousin is up in Fishbait country and she said they had been expecting 40" by the time it was done.

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
Hi all,
I've been waiting for another mega-storm like last year's ever since I got the 54" front snowblower, and today I got one! We were on generator power for 8 hours and my driveway (1000') was obliterated by 3-4' snow drifts. In some places, the 48" marker poles were buried. The part of the video where one of them is sticking out like 6"...there are three more next to it that you can't see under the snow.

I apologize for the audio, my phone apparently doesn't like the cold.

I'm super happy with this setup for snow.

View attachment 560585

View attachment 560593

View attachment 560601
You are shoving the snow in way to fast. Give the blower time to eat. Especially when you get that much. Even though the snow was deeper than the blower you had way to much falling over the top. When this happens it is easy to get the tractor stuck. It's also easy to bend or snap something.
Also when dealing with the deep stuff. Avoid the gauntlet. Don't go more than a tractor's length before backing up and taking a wider cut. On the second cut you can also use just 1/2 of the blower width to make it easier on the equipment.

Otherwise it looks like fun. Well once you get over the freezing your butt off part. Unfortunately we didn't get much snow with this storm.

·
Corndog Hater
11,781 Posts
Thanks for the video. I had some similar drifts yesterday. Creeping along letting the blower eat away at it, I still had snow coming up over the top. It was heavy, wet snow for sure.

·
Premium Member
1,493 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
You are shoving the snow in way to fast. Give the blower time to eat. Especially when you get that much. Even though the snow was deeper than the blower you had way to much falling over the top. When this happens it is easy to get the tractor stuck. It's also easy to bend or snap something.
Also when dealing with the deep stuff. Avoid the gauntlet. Don't go more than a tractor's length before backing up and taking a wider cut. On the second cut you can also use just 1/2 of the blower width to make it easier on the equipment.

Otherwise it looks like fun. Well once you get over the freezing your butt off part. Unfortunately we didn't get much snow with this storm.
Thanks for the advice!

I tried a variety of approaches. I tried going really, really slow, no difference, so I went faster. I tried going in a variety of distances before doing the second plow. I never felt like the tractor could get stuck.

The way I ended up doing this was fairly fast and effective and didn't strain the tractor. I pushed through about a tractor length, sometimes less, depending on what I felt underneath. Once I felt the tractor "rise up" on snow, I stopped (so back wheels were always grounded) Then I backed up, lowered the blower and blew out the stuff that fell over the top the first time (and down from the sides). I had to be careful not to lower it too much because the ground underneath wasn't frozen and I would tear it up and spit rocks if I floated the blower. On the way back I used 1/2 the blower width and I didn't have to back up. That first cut was the hardest.

As for giving it time to eat, it depends on the snow. In some few places, letting it eat actually fed the snow into the blower regardless of how tall it was. In most places, it didn't. Every snow is different.

·
Registered
23,112 Posts
I think you did very well with the massive amount of snow you were moving. You watched your RPM so as not to drop too much keeping the blower running at full speed.

With that much snow it is inevitable to have to go back over everything a second time - no big deal. Could you imagine trying to plow that much snow with a 1 series?

Nice job and thanks for the pics and video. We used to get snowfalls like that but don’t anymore - I miss it!

·
Registered
3,919 Posts
Sometimes you second guess yourself when you $3000+ on a blower that just sits there because of light snows.Then you get that big storm or a bad winter with lots of snow and blowing snow.Then your thankful and feel better about the purchase you made.If you had just a blade or using the bucket how long it would've taken and how high the piles would be only for the snow to blow bigger drifts to move.

·
Premium Member
3,929 Posts
Could have used a 72" Snow Blower last night. My 4044M tractor met it match in 3 feet deep of snow. Just could not get thru it unless I dug at it with the loader over and over. Need to borrow the neibors blower and run it thru this road to open it up. When they wait all winter long till it is almost over and say can you plow me out now??? We had 18 inches of new fresh snow and wind in 2 days here on top of the rest of the winter snow!

·
Premium Member
3,929 Posts
If I decide to do more plowing for others a snow blower is in the works before next winter. Can't seem to get my neibor to sell his even tho it is not needed to much during the year if you keep up with the snow. I blew out my driveway for 2 years with a walk behind MTD 36" 8 HP Blower worked great but took a while to clean off over 350 ft every few hours in a storm! Takes all kinds of tools to move snow the best all the time.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Wow thanks for the video! I'm amazed at what it will go through! Just ordered a 2025R with 54 rear blower. I realize it probably not the best place for the blower but I use my loader a lot in the winter so want the loader to stay on the tractor. Up here in Canada we are on alert for a big Colorado low bringing a bunch of snow in a couple of days. My 1025R uses a 72" polaris quick attach blade adapted to a loader quick attach plate. It goes back and forth from my Ranger to the 1025 easily.

·
Premium Member
1,493 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Could you imagine trying to plow that much snow with a 1 series?
I don't have to imagine! I tried it last year, couldn't even come close. That's why the same amount of snow took 20 hours with the loader.

·
Registered
4,589 Posts
:lovetongue: Great video, I wish we get a dump like that.

·
Premium Member
3,929 Posts
A Real Old Beat Up 2 Wheel Drive Tractor with a 72" Snow Blower on the rear put my New JD and Loader to shame. He just drove down the same steep/deep driveway I almost got stuck on and blew the road out. Waiting to see if he can get back up the hill pushing the blower and chains on the back tires. If anyone can he will make it he has lived up here longer then me. His luck does run out once in a while. There are times ONLY a Blower will open things back up and also the other way around a loader & good rear blade can do more than a Snow Blower. Just another good reason to own all three and do the job right to start off with.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts