Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have noticed that when I am on the road, I have a bouncy ride, kind of like the left tire is out of round. I don't know if this is something to worry about, or not, since tractors aren't designed for roadway travel.

But, my warranty expires soon, so I am wondering if I should report it?

·
Administrator
20,834 Posts
Normal. Tractor tires aren’t necessarily perfectly round, especially if they sit with a lot of weight on them at low air pressures for extended times.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Do you have the FEL on when you notice it? I wonder if it could be related to uneven ballast. More implement than ballast.

Reactions: etcallhome

·
Premium Member
994 Posts
Have the same thing on my 1026r...Never really looked into it...It goes away when I remove the FEL and BH. I did exclude the carrier pins as the issue...:dunno:

Tire out of round? Not sure...I would think it would do it when I just have the MMM on

·
Super Moderator
5,186 Posts
Normal. In addition to tires not being perfectly round, you have no suspension system on a tractor. Your car/truck would do the same thing if you didn't have shock absorbers/struts, springs, etc...

·
Registered
417 Posts
I can say on a paved road at WOT I don’t have any bouncing with the mmm on and 200# of wheel weights.

·
Premium Member
13,606 Posts
Normal. Tractor tires aren’t necessarily perfectly round, especially if they sit with a lot of weight on them at low air pressures for extended times.
Normal. In addition to tires not being perfectly round, you have no suspension system on a tractor. Your car/truck would do the same thing if you didn't have shock absorbers/struts, springs, etc...
These two posts sum it up in a nutshell. :thumbup1gif:

I can get motion sickness when it's 10* in the winter when it's been sitting for a few days. :lol:

·
Super Moderator
5,186 Posts
Have the same thing on my 1026r...Never really looked into it...It goes away when I remove the FEL and BH. I did exclude the carrier pins as the issue...:dunno:

Tire out of round? Not sure...I would think it would do it when I just have the MMM on
I'd bet it doesn't completely go away when you only have the MMM on. The loader and backhoe leave you with a LOT of weight hanging off the front and back ends of your machine. All that weight accentuates the bouncing. The same thing will happen if you take the loader and backhoe off and put a loaded ballast box on.

If you drive down a road at full speed and then take the loader/BH off, it probably feels like you aren't bouncing any more. You still are but t's much less dramatic.

Reactions: BigJim55

·
Premium Member
2,404 Posts
I would say it's normal, especially with R4's. My previous 1025 had R4's and if it sat for a while it felt like it had square tires. My new 2032r has the Garden Pro Radial R3+ tires. Much smoother ride, even after sitting for a while.

Reactions: BigJim55 and PJR832

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
These two posts sum it up in a nutshell. :thumbup1gif:

I can get motion sickness when it's 10* in the winter when it's been sitting for a few days. :lol:

LOL.....try buying a southern states tractor with fluid in the rear tires....bring it home.....get a hard freeze and figure out real fast the fluid they used was not rated for the weather you were in.....LOL....talk about a square wheel ...teeth jaring:laugh::greentractorride:

·
Premium Member
9,055 Posts
Put some Terra Grips on your tractor and then it will feel like it has square tires on it. It takes the "bouncy" out and makes the ride feel like "THUMP, THUMP, THUMP" as the rubber cross straps are driven over. But they help with the traction in the snow and slop.................and you get used to the ride after awhile.

It's why you need a lid on your coffee cup........to avoid splashing the coffee on you.....:laugh:

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks all. It sounds like this is not something to worry about. I have noticed that the bounce is always noticeable, but it is more pronounced with uneven ballast. I'll also check the wheel lugs.

·
Registered
12,449 Posts
If you want to feel a bouncy ride at full speed on pavement take a full size backhoe for a ride.
:laugh: i had one bouncing really hard enough the backhoe bucket bounced off the road-talk about riding a bucking bronco--glad no one was around to see that :hide: this happened way back.............i had to move this backhoe from our office building back down to the Ramada Inn where i was helping the masons build it. never had drove one before that day on blacktop--hardly any brakes on it-and i had one hill to go down--the old farm tractor's u could kinda control the bouncing with the wheel brakes-was kinda a fan of Georgia overdrive back then:laugh:

i think the old skid steers was just as bad-we had one to use as a clean up machine back when i was mixing cement for several masons. well one day a load of dry wall came in-boss said put them forks on and unload the drywall-man i thought this is great(i was all about getting seat time back then) well i got the first skid of it off trailer--had to pull up to building and let the other labors pull it into the 2nd floor opening. got half of skid unloaded-and all of sudden i gently start tilting into the building--drywall edge caught --talk about having to change shorts then:lol: i fell backwards in a footer one day--bunch of guys pushed me back over-its a wonder that thing kept on running that summer. but it did-i forget the name of brand now-made me never one after that.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Had this same issue on mine and brought my rear tires to my mechanic who threw them on his balancer. Found the tires were out of round and off center, slightly. Pretty normal for slower moving machines like these, really. It's a large part of why you see backhoes and loaders start bouncing so much going down the road, too... though I think the bigger ones have gotten better over the years.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Same volume of water in both wheels?

If the volume of water in the two tyres is different then the air volume will be a bit different also.
This means more bounce in the tyre with less water.
Mine are full to the brim so that just the smallest amount of air can go in.
Main reason is I work alone on acreage where no-one can see me so the more ballast below balance point the better.
Be sure to have the correct fitting for your pressure gauge when you check tyre pressure or the water will spurt out when you apply the gauge.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts