Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While driving my tractor yesterday the brakes made a loud grinding noise when applied. My property is relatively flat so I dont use the brake pedal much, generally just letting off the forward or reverse pedal is sufficient. The brakes are mostly as a parking brake. The sound is like a metal on metal grinding noise. Does it when going forward, a little less in reverse.

Has anyone had or seen this issue before? I will have to did thru my storage bay to find my manuals as we recently moved snd my new shop wont be built until the fall...

Thanks for any insights.

Premium Member
Are you in a wet climate or has it been sitting out? Could be some rust buildup and it needs to wear off. I hardly ever use the brakes to stop. Usually i use them to hold it in place on a slope or if someone is getting stuff in or out of bucket. I have had mine make noises before and it just went away the more I used it.

I would run it for a while and see if thats the case.

Good luck!
WB 馃殰馃嚭馃嚥

Reactions: etcallhome

Premium Member
2020 1025R, 120R, 54D
Are you in a wet climate or has it been sitting out? Could be some rust buildup and it needs to wear off.
They're internal wet brakes. If they're rusty you've got much bigger issues. :oops:

Registered
On the 1023/25 tractors, pressing the brake pedal applies the differential lock first, then as you press the pedal further the brakes are applied.

Were you turning when you hit the brake pedal? Turning would mean one rear wheel was rotating slower than the other, so applying the differential lock in that situation would cause grinding.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i was going straight and preparing to dump the bucket on the FEL. Hit the brakes to dump the dirt in the spot I wanted it. Was on a slight downgrade so brake was needed to stop. Did it to varying degrees the rest of the afternoon.

Tractor does not sit outside, it is parked in a large enclosed trailer. Environmentally, about the same as the barn it was parked in at the old place.

I thought the brakes were internal to the transaxle and 鈥渨et鈥 so I was surprised by the noise.

Will see what happens during /after 3 hours of mowing tomorrow.

Registered
Before you mow, you might have a look-see underneath? The brake and diff lock stuff is all mechanical, perhaps you might see the cause of the noise. And AFAIK yes, the brake is a wet disc internal to the trans.

Premium Member
Wet disc. Meaning there鈥檚 an internal hydraulically powered braking system. I haven鈥檛 heard of them failing aside from not holding on inclines. If you鈥檙e getting a grinding noise that doesn鈥檛 sound good. First as Dixie said, check your linkage under the pedal to see if there鈥檚 something amiss like a stick jammed in there. Otherwise I would dump the fluid and check the screen for excess particulates. If it鈥檚 under warranty call the dealer

Registered
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Checked over everything prior to mowing today. Nothing out of the ordinary noted. Mowed for 3 hours, made multiple fast and slow stops with no noises like I heard the day prior. No idea what it was or the cause.

Reactions: Kbar
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.