Green Tractor Talk banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
716 Posts
new tractor owner with 1025r I bought last year. manual doesn't say anything about fluids and filters till 200 hrs. Am I missing something??
Check the next page under the heading of:

Maintenance Interval Chart—Every 600 Hours to Every 6000 Hours

In the "Annually" column you will see listed an engine oil / filter change. So if you put on less than 200 hrs per year they still want you to change the engine oil/filter.

As for the previously recommended initial 50 hr hydraulic fluid / filter / suction screen, that is no longer listed in the newer manuals. Caveat Emptor.
The Operator's Manual that came with my 2019 1023E (part# OMLVU31626 Issue J8) doesn't call for annual oil/filter changes wither. Apparently, later in the production run of model-year 2019 there was a newer version of that manual (part# OMLVU31626 Issue A9) which does recommend every 200 hours or annually. I just turned over 50 hours.... I usually do annual oil changes in the fall on my equipment anyway, if for no other reason than two switch to a lower viscosity synthetic for easier Minnesota starting in the winter. I have some Rotella T6 and a Wix filter ready to go...I'll probably change that in the next couple of weeks. It's easy enough, and cheap enough.

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
Poster....you're comments on the filter is I'm almost sure on the filter raises concerns. Case in point I traded for a 1025r last winter and dealer said Oh yeah...man changed filter...yata yata yata. I though hummmm….better just be "sure" Drained fluids and they did look good. Pulled the filter as other poster had shown and the previous owner had damaged it putting it in. Unit has a backhoe and this is not a problem if you are careful in installing as there is enough space but previous owner had kinked and torn the screen. Another case in point my neighbor widow lady's tractor mower need new fluids so I bought filter fluids. She had previously paid dealer for this. Upon pulling the screen plug found "no" filter. The new filter was had to fit so I suppose they just didn't bother but they did charger her as I saw the previous ticket. Wow.....I'm seeing on this site all the misattached lines and service coming out of these dealers. Suppose they must be hiring high school kids or something. So my point is never assume.
Yes NEVER ASSUME. My local dealer which I shall not name, has mechanics (they now call them technicians) which I would not hire to change out a toilet seat, can read a service manual but can't understand it. And if you have older equipment, they stand there staring at it mumbling...Yup, never seen one of these before, what is it. A tractor you dumb ass.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Amazing, isn't it.

I knew somebody that went to Jiffy lube with 5k miles on a brand new $70k Super Duty for an oil change. They put oil in it alright, but they forgot to tighten the oil drain plug.

Long streak of oil all the way down the street. They paid for a new engine. This is why I don't go to get certain services done, unless I cannot do it myself.

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
:munch:

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
[/COLOR]

Yes NEVER ASSUME. My local dealer which I shall not name, has mechanics (they now call them technicians) which I would not hire to change out a toilet seat, can read a service manual but can't understand it. And if you have older equipment, they stand there staring at it mumbling...Yup, never seen one of these before, what is it. A tractor you dumb ass.
Sadly, this is not a new problem and it is prevalent in many trades and commodities. I remembered when I worked for another company in FL performing field service work. I would estimate that 80% of the repairs I made, which the customer was charged for, were installed related failures--that the know nothing, incompetent, installers of our company had performed. The only saving grace was this company was very proactive about selling service contracts. So when this was the case, I'd take the time to straighten out and correct the installation, which often meant I nearly totally removed it and started over. Needless to say, it didn't endear to me the service scheduler, as it threw a loop into the rest of the day. However, the customers figured it out and would specifically request me when they required services.

I owned and operated my own business shortly after that for the next 30+ years. We guaranteed the workmanship of our installations for the life of the vehicle. I'd like to say we had zero issues, but from time to time something would change in the vehicle or the product that would take us by surprise. The customer never paid for our education and we learned from our mistakes, so we didn't repeat them.

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
Amazing, isn't it.

I knew somebody that went to Jiffy lube with 5k miles on a brand new $70k Super Duty for an oil change. They put oil in it alright, but they forgot to tighten the oil drain plug.

Long streak of oil all the way down the street. They paid for a new engine. This is why I don't go to get certain services done, unless I cannot do it myself.
The daughter of a friend of mine, took her car to Jiffy Jerk for a engine oil change. What they did was to drain the tranny & refill it with 10W30 oil. Tranny was destroyed. My friend had to bring a law suit against them. Jiffy Jerks settled & paid for the tranny rebuild & all parts & labor. His daughter was an emotional wreck for a time since it was her first car. He told her NOT to take it to Jiffy Jerks to begin with. But you know kids...they don't listen. :gizmo:

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
Years ago, my brother dated this ultra lib blonde. You know, the type that attends college for years and majors in basket weaving (some kind of poetry degree) and finally an English lit degree. Not a lot of demand in the market for that, unless you have the teaching license. So she managed a movie rental store.

In her Helen Reddy mode, she check the oil in her car. She couldn't see it, so she kept adding quart after quart, until she could. We referred to her as "Dipstick" after that.

·
Administrator
20,171 Posts
:focus:

21 - 31 of 31 Posts