Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Removed sediment bowl to clean out a little dirt. Reinstalled, opened fuel shut off valve and turned key on for 15 seconds as per manual. Page 10-12. Says it will purge air from bowl. It didn't do anything. Bowl only had about an inch of fuel in it. Tried to start, just sputtered. Took bowl off and filled it with fuel.

Still won't start. Valve is open and bowl is full of fuel. Just turns over and sputters a little bit.

Am I missing something??? Directions were simple, but didn't work for me.

Thanks,
Corey

·
Premium Member
14,921 Posts
Just turn key on without trying to start the engine. Do this 2-3 times , while doing this you should hear the fuel pump.

Leave it sit a while and then try to start.

It should start. One time I changed mine and after doing what you have it finally sputtered. The next day the dealer was picking the tractor up for another issue, ask them to check , they found no problem ran fine till I got rid of the tractor.

·
Administrator
20,916 Posts
Be sure to open the throttle up to about 1/2 or so after letting the fuel pump run a few cycles as Gene mentioned. It will sputter and shake like a dog passing a peach pit for a minute. That's normal, don't panic. Then it'll clear up and run normally. :good2:

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Just turn key on without trying to start the engine. Do this 2-3 times , while doing this you should hear the fuel pump.

Leave it sit a while and then try to start.

It should start. One time I changed mine and after doing what you have it finally sputtered. The next day the dealer was picking the tractor up for another issue, ask them to check , they found no problem ran fine till I got rid of the tractor.

Turned key on and do not hear fuel pump at all. Sediment bowl will not fill up at all. Pulled fuel filter under left floor board. It was good but now no fuel will flow into it.

Called service dept and he said probably air in lines. He said to unscrew fuel lines at injectors while cranking engine to relieve air but still not getting any fuel flow.

Thanks,
Corey

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
Turned key on and do not hear fuel pump at all. Sediment bowl will not fill up at all. Pulled fuel filter under left floor board. It was good but now no fuel will flow into it.

Called service dept and he said probably air in lines. He said to unscrew fuel lines at injectors while cranking engine to relieve air but still not getting any fuel flow.

Thanks,
Corey
Not hearing the pump is a problem. Need to check its operation-can you troubleshoot? If not dealer may have to diagnose and repair :unknown:

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Not hearing the pump is a problem. Need to check its operation-can you troubleshoot? If not dealer may have to diagnose and repair :unknown:

Tried to check fuel pump fuse but it's a big square one so can't tell if it's the fuse. Other than that no fuel will flow. It's under warranty so will call and they can come get it.

Thanks everyone for the help. It all should have worked.

Corey

·
Administrator
20,916 Posts
The fuel pump makes a clicking sound when running. It's right behind the engine inline with the fuel supply line. Turn the key on and listen. What do you get?

·
Administrator
20,916 Posts
Good. Do this a bunch of times and give her a whirl. :good2:

·
Registered
572 Posts
Turn the key to On (no cranking), leave it in On for 10 seconds.
Turn the key of, wait 10 seconds.

Repeat the above 3-4 times

Then move throttle up to half way.

Crank engine.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Key on 10 times, heard fuel pump. Half throttle. Still no fuel getting to engine. Still hardly any fuel in fuel filter below lwft left floor board after pulling it off to check. Already manually filled sediment bowl because it wouldn't fill on it's own.

·
Registered
572 Posts
I know it must be frustrating. Hang in there and double check something:

Close and re-open the fuel shut off valve a few times and try again. This is the Open (running) position:

Screen Shot 2016-10-11 at 9.47.06 PM.png

·
Premium Member
10,067 Posts
Pulled fuel filter under left floor board. It was good but now no fuel will flow into it.
Maybe a silly question, but is there fuel in the tank? If you're not getting flow with the inlet line removed from the filter under the floor, then you're problem is between there and the tank.

1025.jpg

·
Official "Groovie" Dude
5,663 Posts
I do hear a couple clicks when key is on.
Couldn't some of these clicks he hears right away be relays and timer? Those are momentary but the pump will continue. Also could he be able to hold his hand on the pump and feel if it's running?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Not a silly question. Yes fuel in the tank. Actually drained it all when I checked the fuwl filter and put 1/4 tank back in.

I just hear a couple clicks from fuel pump when key is on. Not any continuous noise.

Service guy said to open fuel line at injectors while cranking engine and look for air bubbles. Did rhat and some bubbles came out with a little fuel. But still won't start.
Thanks
Corey

·
Registered
748 Posts
I've got to ask a couple of dumb questions.....

Was everything working OK before you started this project?

When you took off the bowl to clean it, did you remove the filter? If you did, did it get put back on correctly?

Here's a video, watch at the 4:38 second mark as he turns the key, you can here the fuel pump run and fill the sediment bowl....
Does your's make that continuous sound???

·
Registered
3,554 Posts
If fuel will not actually run out of the tank side hose of the floorboard filter by itself...

Seems to me the trouble is between there and inside the tank pickup. No amount of cycling the primary fuel pump will overcome a pinched line or clog (factory installed foreign matter in tank?). I would drain the tank and uninstall the line coming FROM the tank and see if it is truly open and if there is something loose moving around the bottom of the tank. With a good LED flashlight the bottom of the empty tank and end of the fuel line fitting should be visible as well as any floating/sinking pluggers.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts