Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,600 Posts
This is pure BS. Ever been to Alaska?? If not then bend over, they're driving.

Have the oil changed and make sure they use oil rated for use in a diesel engine. Then shine a flashlight through the front of the radiator. I don't see much dirt in the pictures, and certainly not enough to cause the engine to overheat. Get the manager and sales staff involved and raise hell. The tech is obviously an idiot, and the bubbles I see on the top of the oil could be from crap already in the catch pan, or cause by the oil dropping into the catch pan. Regardless, it's under warranty and covered by Deere. To me this sounds like a scam. And if the tech opens his mouth put a film on his ass with your foot.

·
Premium Member
2,600 Posts
A good dealer would have said;

Mr. customer. we've found crap blocking the radiator, and the oil looks a little dark indicating excessive heating may have occurred. We'll clean the radiator and change the oil with JD diesel oil. In the future clean the radiator using a water hose and maybe even a little detergent. DO NOT USE A PRESSURE WASHER.

I had an NH dealer sell me an X580 with the promise to upgrade with full refund if I upgraded during the next year. I went to them to upgrade to an X7xx and they then said they don't take trades. My goal at the time was to avoid taxes. When the dealer told me they wouldn't take a trade on a 20-hour machine as promised I went shopping. I ended up purchasing the X7xx from a dealer 25 miles away who is now a member of the United AG group. I pay taxes, have bought two (2) tractors from them, I buy all of my attachments from them, they handle all of my service, and I couldn't be happier. A short drive may be in the OP's future, but changing dealers is what I would be doing.

·
Premium Member
2,600 Posts
OP,
Your dealer took advantage of your lack of knowledge. Instead of complaining and making Deere the bad guy, take your tractor back, clean the radiator, change the oil, and find another dealer. You can't blame Deere for your problem, and you can't blame an entire dealer network for the actions of a single dealer.

·
Premium Member
2,600 Posts
Bob, I can blame Deere for not shutting down a horrid dealer. I hate seeing people get rooked and so should Deere. Not good for their overall business Personally hope that the Op makes enough noise to get the dealership pulled. Put a little fear of God out there and maybe it becomes a little better for all of us in the future.

john Deere 1025R
loader
backhoe
47 in tiller
47 blower
5ft landscape rake
10 KW pto generator
Sent from my SM-N976V using Tapatalk
I agree with this statement, but keep in mind that it will take much more than a single complaint to shut down a dealer. Another point is this. Most people never document their complaints with the corporation. Most dissatisfied customers will simply "move on", usually to another dealer, store, car lot, whatever.

We're all slamming the dealer, but there are two (2) sides to every story. The OP has not given the dealers name or location, current status or intent. I'll be neutral in this case at this time until I know who the dealer is, and what the final outcome is.

·
Premium Member
2,600 Posts
-.-. --.- W9GFO

While a shade tree mechanic may be a local possibility the OP will need to be careful that the STM doesn't leave tracks endangering the mfg. warranty.

N1BRH

·
Premium Member
2,600 Posts
I subscribe to the notion that if you think you'll need some "extended warranty" to cover you, then why on earth did you buy the product in the first place? It is a laughable waste of money most of the time UNLESS you actually buy a product with quality problems. (but then why would you do that?) I haven't seen any real evidence of that being the case with 1 series tractors. So I'm inclined to thumb my nose at any "extended warranty", engage in common sense, take care of my equipment, and not worry about it.

Ask for the tractor back, clean the radiator yourself (or just buy a new radiator and replace it) and get on with life. Not even worth the mental cycles to deal with something this ridiculous. Life is too short.

Best,
Sorry Ritz, but I can't agree with your statement above. I recently extended my full coverage warranty for a period of 4 years. The cost was less than $350 per year, which I find to be a more than reasonable cost for the factory warranty extension backed by Deere. True be told I'll be almost 75 when the warranty expires, and the additional warranty years will probably outlast me. The benefits include bumper to bumper adding to the first two (2) years, totaling six (6) years. Also included is pickup and return of the tractor, free diagnostics, etc.., and all out of someone else's pocket. I had six figure income and now I don't. This is the best option for me at my age.

·
Premium Member
2,600 Posts
We can agree to disagree. You're paying for it, just not all at once. :)

And as we've seen above, an unscrupulous dealer can use it as a lever to create additional work that is NOT covered.

Best,
As stated by Mark above it's a John Deere warranty. The dealer can create all the extra work they wany. It's covered by John Deere and the extended FACTORY bumper to bumper warranty. $1400? Chump change in the scheme of life. Also, because the warranty can be transferred to any buyer within the term of the warranty I'll recover some of the cost should I sell the tractor.

Reactions: MarkEagleUSA
1 - 7 of 7 Posts