Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2,706 Posts
My experience only. My 6 year old 1025R started running hot this past summer. I use a leaf blower after every mowing to clean the radiator, but obviously I had not been doing a good job on the back side. Since I had so far done every single service and repair I removed the side panels to get a better view. The radiator back side was almost a solid mass of dried crud - grass, dirt, seeds, and lord knows what else. Used a water hose with shower nozzle to soak, soak, soak, keeping it wet as chunks started dropping off. Occasionally I sprayed gently from the front trying to avoid damaging the fins.

It took me a couple of hours, but finally it was clean all the way through and the overheating stopped. I left the side panels unbolted for easy removal and now I try my best to keep it blown out from the rear.

So my take is that the design and cramped quarters under the hood make it hard to keep the radiator clean. You can blame Deere for packing things in so tightly, or you can blame yourself for not making enough of an effort to maintain airflow. In my case I blame myself.

For a couple of hours labor the dealership could clean the radiator fins, but where’s their profit in that?

·
Registered
2,706 Posts
Just a comment on the "find another dealer" suggestions. Some folks just don't have that luxury, with the next Deere dealer being located many hours away. In that case, it is best to not burn that dealer bridge to the ground behind you.

Also, many times a dealer is part of a chain of dealerships. The next dealer might just affiliated with the one you just walked out on, and that info will follow you in their system.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts