Green Tractor Talk banner
21 - 40 of 94 Posts

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
TROLLOLOLOLOL :LOL::ROFLMAO:

Your $tealer is trolling you dude. Seeing if you'll take the bait. Ain't nothing wrong with that oil other than it has some bubbles in it which just means the engine was running recently.

Nothing wrong with that radiator other than it needs a good cleaning.

$1400!? Yeah, I think not. For a few hours of my time and about $40 I could pull the radiator out of the tractor, clean it real good and put it back in with new coolant, AND change the engine oil with a good brand of diesel oil and a John Deere or other good brand of filter.

·
Registered
2013 John Deere 3520
308 Posts
So you are saying the the side of the radiator that the air flows out of is caked with grass?
I do not believe this is possible. did you go look at it or just taking their word for it?
I don't know about the OP's model, but it is possible and did happen on my 3520. I just let it cool down, then took a garden hose to it.

I'll be going to the dealer tomorrow. In the meantime, the dealer sent me these photos of the clogged radiator backside and degraded oil. View attachment 821396 View attachment 821397 View attachment 821396 View attachment 821397
That radiator isn't near clogged enough to cause any issues. Run some water into the front of it using a garden hose. Just a touch of thumb pressure and it will be clean.

I'd be looking for a new dealer and for a refund of that bogus 10 year warranty

Sent from my SM-G998U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
X320, 3720 W/ 300cx loader, 5'ford 917 flail, CL 6' box blade, 64 massy 165
686 Posts
My brother owns and operates a radiator repair and service shop. I've cleaned radiators that are 1000 Xs worse than that. Caked with yrs of oil grease and dust. He gets tractor, truck, and stationary equipment radiators every fall from local farmers and the air base. Needing cleaned up.
Get it wet. Soak it with a heavy solution of dawn dishsoap and water let set and hose out with as high a volume and hard of a stream of water, strait through radiator. Repeat as needed. Hot water preferred if it's oily/greasy.
That's an easy clean up there. Personally it doesn't even looked clogged at all. Just a little dirt.
The other thing is check it. If you can see light through it, it's not clogged just dirty.

·
Registered
60 Posts
TROLLOLOLOLOL :LOL::ROFLMAO:

Your $tealer is trolling you dude. Seeing if you'll take the bait. Ain't nothing wrong with that oil other than it has some bubbles in it which just means the engine was running recently.

Nothing wrong with that radiator other than it needs a good cleaning.

$1400!? Yeah, I think not. For a few hours of my time and about $40 I could pull the radiator out of the tractor, clean it real good and put it back in with new coolant, AND change the engine oil with a good brand of diesel oil and a John Deere or other good brand of filter.
LOL this guy will do it for -10 bucks, have him come pick it up and fix it, and deliver it back.

The real question is why are you taking it to the dealer for an oil change?

Edit Never mind you got scamed into a 10 year warranty. but still this guy will fix it for -10 bucks win win

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
Scammed into a 10 year warranty is right. I thought I read somewhere in my JD literature that Deere corporate is the ONLY entity authorized to extend any sort of warranty whatsoever. Wonder if they'd help OP get reimbursed for this dealer-backed warranty.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
I don't know if your bush hog is more than your tractor can handle as suggested by that dealer, but if you haven't seen the needle running hot then I don't see how your radiator can be that clogged up. Your dealer sounds like most of these quick oil change places for your car. They try to come up with more things to charge you for while you're there, which is why I'll keep doing my own as long as I have the strength to crawl under to do it. Sounds like the dealer has come up with a perfect scam. A ten year warranty but only if "they" do all the maintenance. A perfect recipe for finding stuff to drain your wallet.

·
Registered
3,743 Posts
I don't know if your bush hog is more than your tractor can handle as suggested by that dealer, but if you haven't seen the needle running hot then I don't see how your radiator can be that clogged up. Your dealer sounds like most of these quick oil change places for your car. They try to come up with more things to charge you for while you're there, which is why I'll keep doing my own as long as I have the strength to crawl under to do it. Sounds like the dealer has come up with a perfect scam. A ten year warranty but only if "they" do all the maintenance. A perfect recipe for finding stuff to drain your wallet.
If it has NOT SHUT DOWN the PTO on its own mid gauge is normal. The dealer is a rip off artist. I put a hotter thermostat in to get the temp mid guage. Pick it up, change the oil, wash out the radiator and tractor on, especially if it has not SHUT DOWN THE PTO BY ITSELF. I have had that happen 3 times myself, absolutely no issues.

john Deere 1025R
loader
backhoe
47 in tiller
47 blower
5ft landscape rake
10 KW pto generator
Sent from my SM-N976V using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2,190 Posts
I was going to go on a rant from the original post and pictures, but everyone else pretty well covered that. So yeah, tell the dealer to finish the routine service and take it home.

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
Hmm. The dealer sold you a 10 year warranty (service contract). I'm gathering the terms of the warranty require that the dealer perform all the scheduled maintenance for it to remain in force---probably at inflated prices. The dealer creates some crazy so-called maintenance issue to extort more money from you--otherwise the 10 year warranty is void.

You're not going to win. Find a new, reputable, dealer. By the way, service contracts and extended warranties are only good deals for those selling them

·
Registered
3,847 Posts
Most of these tractors only see 50, maybe 75, hours per year. After 10 years you might have 750 hours if you use it more than average. Anything built half way decent should run that long with minor maintenance and replacement of parts that age out. Catastrophic failure? Pretty rare. The JD warranty is 6 years now I think?

·
Registered
9 Posts
One thing that hasn’t been said is the dealer will most likely fight this in the future if you have an issue. I suggest you do take an oil sample on camera and send it to a lab such as Blackstone. This will save your rear if JD questions you in the future.
I own a yacht service business and we do oil samples regularly so shoot me a note if you need more info.

·
Registered
435 Posts
My 2012 radiator looks like new. I have done some bush hogging but blew the screen and under hood after every use just like I do the zero turn. This is really a far out post. Reminds me of the time I walked into the local stealer to get a tip on how they greases the front U Joint on the 10 series. The "really sharp" service tech looked me in the eye with a real clever look on his face and said "ya don't."

1400 bucks Whaaaat, I had my AC D 15 radiator recored a while back for around 500 bucks.

I think ya better start packing your own KY before you go there. :unsure:

·
Registered
Deere 1025r, 60D mower, Frontier BB2048, Frontier RC2048, Titan Attachments Pallet Fork
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
Here's the latest: I went to the dealer today. I had the service mgr show me the radiator and oil. There is caked on grass debris on the backside of the radiator. I can get light through some of the radiator, but not all of it. The oil is thick and sludgy. Tri Green service says excess heat caused the oil to sludge up which in turn was caused by the partially clogged radiator. I said "fine I'm still under the factory warranty, let's get Deere involved". Response from the Service Mgr is that he'll go to bat for me but it will take a lot of time and the outcome is probably negative. He says Deere will reject any claim if they can find anything in the manual that suggests cleaning the backside of the radiator. He also told me that it's common knowledge among farmers that they should blow out their radiator back and front on a regular basis with compressed air. I said, "I'm not a farmer and Deere is not marketing the 1025R to farmers. Deere is marketing subcompact tractors to chumps like me with a few acres of land to maintain. If blowing out the back and front of the radiator with compressed air is required maintenance is should be clearly stated in the manual. Please file the claim, and while I'm here let me have a sample of that oil". Thanks to Sundancer268 and NotHerDecision regarding Blackstone suggestion. I'll be sending Blackstone oil for testing.

I'll update this post when there is a final resolution to this factory warranty claim.

·
Registered
2,356 Posts
Since your tractor (supposedly) overheated and needle didn't show it, I'd ask dealer to verify over-temp circuit.
Oil samples often require operating hours, as well as brand and viscosity. Do you have hours when oil was last changed and current tractor hours?

From what I've read in your first post and your last post, I wouldn't trust a word your dealer... owner, service tech, manager, whoever!... says. If that was my tractor, I'd have dealer put in oil & coolant (if nec.), a new oil filter and it would be on my trailer and on it's way home! Once home, I'd check all levels, blow/wash out radiator, and fire it up. Run it for 1/2 hour or so and check block & radiator temps with infra red temp gun (Harbor Freight for $20-$50). IF, which I doubt, the engine did overheat, I'd drain & flush the oil, install new filter, and be done with it!

A question for fellow Forum members: I know diesels use oils with additives designed for diesel engines, but for "flushing" purposes, would the cheapest detergent oil available be suitable for flushing by running up to operating temp and then 10 minutes, and then draining?
Bob

·
Premium Member
14,263 Posts
Tri Green service says excess heat caused the oil to sludge up which in turn was caused by the partially clogged radiator. I said "fine I'm still under the factory warranty, let's get Deere involved".
Perhaps something you might mention is that your temp gauge failed to show excessive heat and the tractor failed to shutdown the PTO when the heat was excessive.

If there was excessive heat, the temp sensor failed to see it as the gauge and PTO safety did not register it.

Sludgy oil? Did they do the last service? If so, did they put in the correct oil for a diesel engine?

I would start the process of getting a refund of this service plan / warranty.

·
Premium Member
14,263 Posts
Reactions: rwmeyer

·
Registered
1,842 Posts
Ho do you know the oil they gave you a sample of, came from your tractor? Samples are normally take as the oil is draining from the pan.

Also, it sounds like they are going to drag the warranty claim for a long as possible.

·
Registered
5,318 Posts
So far, I can't see what the dealer has done wrong. The radiator is caked with debris, which the owner has verified that there are portions that he cannot see light through. The dealer has said the oil doesn't look right.
What would you expect a mechanic to do in this case? Not tell the customer? The OP has not elaborated on the $1400.00 repair mentioned in the title of the thread. What does that include?
And by the way, in my experience it is common for debris to cake on the back of the radiators. It seems like dirt and dust (especially when moisture, antifreeze, or oil is present), get flung by the fan, and stick.

21 - 40 of 94 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.