Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a mini review of the hood to share with everyone. I've seen video showing the benefits of the material used on the 1025R. I can testify first hand to the validity at least in part to my experience.
I was moving dirt with the loader a few days ago and I lifted the bucket all the way to its furthest position and a piece of stump rolled out of the bucket backwards toward me and crashed onto the hood. It made a loud noise and bounced off the hood onto the ground.
I don't know how much the chunk of wood weighed but I would conservatively guess 3-5 pounds. The wood was very hard and soaked with water because the spot I was digging in is damp all the time. It had been buried for a long time.
The pictures I'm posting shows the wood chunk on the hood where it struck and a picture afterwards. I do not see any damage. The wood chunk hit the hood fairly hard.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,750 Posts
if that hood was any other color probaly would dented or chipped the paint.:greentractorride::greentractorride:

·
Premium Member
1,130 Posts
I like the composite hood for that very reason . I've been fortunate so far not to have anything like that happen , but I have definitely put my tractor in a position to do that . :bigthumb:

·
Bonehead Club Lackey
10,269 Posts
It's a plus in my book. I'm glad it's not metal as I've done the same thing. :bigthumb:

·
Registered
3,554 Posts
It's a plus in my book. I'm glad it's not metal as I've done the same thing. :bigthumb:
Yeah, but a dent in metal tractor parts makes a much more sexy story around the campfire at beero'clock!:laugh:

I christened my hood the second day with a piece of broken concrete about 10# worth, a really significant bang then it hopped off the hood via the grill/grill guard. I have not crabbed (much) about the plastic since. Don't have a loader on the GX335, but there's a few really significant gouges from low hanging branches and 1 phone pole guy wire... I still cringe when I pull up the GX hood though as I remember some campfire stories from the early 2000's.:laugh:

(Let's just hope JD doesn't cheap out further down the road to save more pennies!)

Reactions: Levi and etcallhome

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
if that hood was any other color probaly would dented or chipped the paint.:greentractorride::greentractorride:
2 years ago I rented a Kabota B21 for some serious snow removal. The metal hood looked like an old fashioned wash board. I'm glad it was already damaged because I bounced quite a few ice/snow chunks off of it. LOL

Reactions: Levi and etcallhome

·
Premium Member
14,899 Posts
Guessing 7-8 yrs ago , I almost traded my JD2305 for another 2305 because it had a BH. Seen this tractor setting in dealers lot from the interstate. That evening on way home from work stopped to check it out. According to dealer a very large rock came rolled out of the bucket slid down the lift arm of FEL (it was all scratched) and put a big hole through the hood and took out the radiator.

·
Registered
407 Posts
I was transporting large, heavy oak tree rounds piled on the grapple to the splitter. One rolled off the grapple, over the brush guard and bounced on the hood with no damage. The round bounced off to the side before it wiped out the cab windshield. Dumb thing was, I managed to do it again on the next load! Again, no damage to the hood. A metal hood would have been mangled at this point.

The rolling, bouncing logs convinced me; that evening I ordered the Artillian Back Rest .

Reactions: etcallhome
1 - 10 of 10 Posts