Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings,
I have a 1025r D120 loader with a 260 backhoe bought this year.
I have recently noticed that there is virtually no space between the front of the back tires and the backhoe frame. Is this normal?
Please advise
Thanks,
Jeff

·
Registered
448 Posts
I have about an inch in the closest spot. Would be very difficult to get a picture. Mine has been doing fine for the first 4 years. :)

·
Registered
4,377 Posts
Welcome to GTT!

It's normal. There is very little space between the frame and the tire. The frame at the front edge of my left tire shows metal worn bare due to the rotation of mud caked tires. I've not experienced any problems due to the limited clearance, but there's no way I could install chains without first installing wheel spacers.

·
Premium Member
1,034 Posts
The other day I was looking at the brackets that connect the backhoe frame to the FEL pedestals. On the left side of my tractor, the backhoe frame was connected on different sides of the bracket at the top and bottom, which was what was making it crooked. I looked at the right side and the backhoe frame connection points were both on the same side of the bracket. So I went to the installation guide for the backhoe frame to determine the right way to do it. I could not find any indication of how this should be done. But I do believe they should be done the same way on both sides. I doubt if a dealer-installed backhoe will give is the definitive answer. Maybe someone out there with a factory-installed backhoe can take a picture and show us the right way.

I mention this because I wonder how much "flex" there is in the long backhoe frame and whether the clearance at the tire can be varied a bit by the positioning of the bracket on the FEL pedestal.

Right now, my bracket is on the inside of the backhoe frame on one side and on the outside on the other side. If I can find out the right way to do it, I'll change the side that's wrong.

I would think the backhoe frame should be on the outside of the bracket, which means the bracket is closer to the tractor and would reduce the stress on the FEL pedestal when the backhoe was in use.

·
Premium Member
977 Posts
This is on the 1026R 2012...The driver side or left side when sitting on it is very close, the rust there is caused by the proximity. If these pics do not show what you need I can take some more...

Attachments

·
Registered
3,554 Posts
Late 1026R TLB, one side space is one spindly little finger tip, the other side is similarly spindly ring finger tip. Worried my ass off about using chains... needlessly. Chains lay inside the lugs of the R4's and I've never rubbed a link on the frame in 4 chain seasons. Wish I could get enough snow to warrant using the SCUT instead of the GT.:laugh:

·
Premium Member
2,133 Posts
Welcome to GTT!

It's normal. There is very little space between the frame and the tire. The frame at the front edge of my left tire shows metal worn bare due to the rotation of mud caked tires. I've not experienced any problems due to the limited clearance, but there's no way I could install chains without first installing wheel spacers.
You can use tire chains on the rear tires of a 1025R TLB without wheel spacers if you have R4 tires and you carefully place the cross chains in the grooves of the tire tread and make the chains tight.

Attachments

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks all.
It appears that that is the way it is. My dealer said the same thing.
It seems deficient to me.
It seems like John Deere should provide spacers to ensure clearance and a quality installation of the backhoe.
But, first they would have to make spacers?
I did not hear from CorporateJD, except talk with your dealer.
I posted two pictures.
One from the rear showing there is not much clearance anyway.
The other Picture showing you can barely get a piece of paper between the frame and the tire.
You can see where the paint is rubbed off from the tire touching the frame.
Thanks Again
J

rear.JPG
tire-on-frame.JPG

·
Registered
778 Posts
I needed spacers with Chains on my 2305.

Almost thinking JD keeps the width on these tractors to fit 2 abreast in a shipping container or there abouts?

Would be nice to be able to turn the tires to gain more space like available on some models like my 2520.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts