Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was in the habit of driving my 2016 1025R FILB straight onto the trailer instead of backing it on. I had read the manual about trailering the tractor, but must have been having an off day. I was towing the trailer as it was starting to get dark. I noticed during a fuel stop that the seat was starting to come up. Being in a hurry with a long trip ahead, I put a bungee cord on it to hold it in place, then proceeded to drive another 300 miles. At night (couldn't see the seat). At speeds of 70-85 the entire way. Arriving at destination, damage shown in the photo occurred. Bolts holding the seat on had broken, fallen off, or snapped the seat support off. In addition, it broke the seat switch wires and blew a fuse.

The manual says 'back the tractor on the trailer'. I guess I get a double Darwin - first for not reading properly (sorry, Sister Erna) and second for not taking the time to correct the issue when I first noticed it. Maybe a triple Darwin for bringing a bungee cord to a ratchet strap fight. Use this information and avoid Darwin awards of your own. Remember that people sail around the world on wind power.

Wait, maybe I should blame John Deere for not using bigger bolts.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,968 Posts
I don't think I've ever thought about the orientation of any piece of equipment so it would favor the seat? I don't think your wrong for not giving the seat of the tractor much thought. Must have been something else as this is the first time I've ever heard of a 1025r seat coming off because of trailering.

Btw- Welcome to GTT, allot of good people and info here. (y)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't think I've ever thought about the orientation of any piece of equipment so it would favor the seat? I don't think your wrong for not giving the seat of the tractor much thought. Must have been something else as this is the first time I've ever heard of a 1025r seat coming off because of trailering.

Btw- Welcome to GTT, allot of good people and info here. (y)
Thanks much for the welcome, I'm really enjoying the site. Never had a problem towing it facing forward, but guess the wind got under the seat.

·
Premium Member
1,968 Posts
Come to think of it, there has been allot of TLB 1025r owners that had seat troubles. Give it a search and I'm sure you'll find some reading. I don't think any of the others chalked it up to trailering wrong. Just bad seat design.

·
Premium Member
11,353 Posts
It's not just the seat. Having the tractor backwards can also prevent the hood from flying open.

Also... always remember to remove the key when trailering.

·
Premium Member
1,968 Posts
It could also be a canopy and obvious wind catchers. But a seat? Like the one that prevents me, a 240lb man from flipping backwards while going uphill can't handle some wind. I get the hood...

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
It could also be a canopy and obvious wind catchers. But a seat? Like the one that prevents me, a 240lb man from flipping backwards while going uphill can't handle some wind. I get the hood...
Well, from what I just read, a tropical storm becomes a Cat 1 hurricane if it has one-minute sustained winds at 74 mph. An 80 mph sustained wind can do a lot of damage. And add, say, a 20 mph gust against you and the seat is experiencing Cat 2 hurricane level winds briefly. Just something to think about. Lower towing speeds, probably much less damage. Just thinking out loud here. :)

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
JD probably wants you to back it on the trailer because a lot of the weight of the tractor is in the rear trans axle and having that weight forward of the axles generally makes for a better towing experience unless you create too much tongue weight. Also JD may think it's safer to back a tractor on a trailer versus driving it on. I towed my 2210 from Texas to NC with it facing forward with no issues. Can't say I hit 80 mph but low 70's wasn't out of the question. If your seat does like to flop around it's a good idea to strap it down. JD seats tend to be a little suspect anyways.

·
Registered
5,141 Posts
JD probably wants you to back it on the trailer because a lot of the weight of the tractor is in the rear trans axle and having that weight forward of the axles generally makes for a better towing experience unless you create too much tongue weight. Also JD may think it's safer to back a tractor on a trailer versus driving it on. I towed my 2210 from Texas to NC with it facing forward with no issues. Can't say I hit 80 mph but low 70's wasn't out of the question. If your seat does like to flop around it's a good idea to strap it down. JD seats tend to be a little suspect anyways.
I gotta admit that my 790 might trailer better backed on the trailer but I hate backing up the ramps for some reason. It just seems easier to drive on and back off without turning the steering wheel. I've got just enough trailer length to get the proper balance with the tractor, loader and box blade or rear blade. My mower won't fit but that's ok as I don't need to trailer that anyway. I might have to grit my teeth and back on for a test drive one time.

Treefarmer

·
Premium Member
1,968 Posts
I don't know if this seems right but, a 100mph wind created 25.6 psf. How bigs a seat,2x2 at most?, so that's 50- 100lbs of constant pressure at 100mph. I think there was some underlying conditions to the OP's seat.

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
Reading the manual I would have thought hood coming loose etc. never that the seat would blow off. Sent an engine once for testing an ocean shipping rack. It goes on a thing that looks like a flight simulator and takes input from the forces and vibration of an actual recorded ocean transit.

Now this engine design had been throu hundreds of hours on test stands and in actual in truck testing. About 1/2 through the test they call, 1/2 the heat shields had fallen off. Yup M8’s at 70NM just backed right out because of the harmonic Vibration from the ship. They changed the torque spec and added a dry (not Loctite) but similar product and we shipped tons of engines within no issues.

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
Harmonic vibrations is fascinating.
Whether you're talking about chine walking a boat, death wobble on a motorcycle or the natural vibrations given off by the earth's rotation.
Some interesting stuff.

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
Is Darwin related to Murphy, of Murphy's Law fame?

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
I don't know if this seems right but, a 100mph wind created 25.6 psf. How bigs a seat,2x2 at most?, so that's 50- 100lbs of constant pressure at 100mph. I think there was some underlying conditions to the OP's seat.

I can agree that its about 100 lbs of constant pressure. But consider how much pressure the seat back usually gets. The vast majority of the force when sitting in the seat is downwards, not parallel to the ground as it would be here. And consider the leverage force is putting on the seat base.

At any rate, towing slower than 80 mph is still probably a good idea. ;)

·
Registered
5,141 Posts
Harmonic vibrations is fascinating.
Whether you're talking about chine walking a boat, death wobble on a motorcycle or the natural vibrations given off by the earth's rotation.
Some interesting stuff.
Fun stuff, unless you are on this bridge:

·
Premium Member
1,968 Posts
I can agree that its about 100 lbs of constant pressure. But consider how much pressure the seat back usually gets. The vast majority of the force when sitting in the seat is downwards, not parallel to the ground as it would be here. And consider the leverage force is putting on the seat base.

At any rate, towing slower than 80 mph is still probably a good idea. ;)
Looking at the photo I would say 80 percent of the seat is out of the wind if the tractor was pulled straight on to a trailer. The grill/cowling blocks it. So maybe 30 lbs of pressure at best. That's my assumption lol, and sticking to it. No way the bolted on seat should have come off from trailering. Maybe if OP was re entering Earth's atmosphere, but short of that, he should have been fine.

1466_02052019114505194100.jpg

·
Premium Member
1,968 Posts
Yes, and if anything the seat is m more in the wind when backed on to a trailer.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts