Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Before I call the dealer, here's what I'm concerned about:

After starting my tractor and warming it up, I sometimes have real difficulty shifting into either gear (High or Low).

At other times, when stopping to get off the tractor, the same happens - I cannot shift into neutral. I have to turn off the tractor to get off safely.

Advice please and thank you!

==Grizzler

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,063 Posts
I run into the same problem. Sometimes it feels like the shifter is welded in place. Other times, my pant leg or leg accidentally and easily knocks the tractor into gear when I'm moving on or off the backhoe without dismounting the tractor.

There seems to be no rhyme or reason for the hard shifting, but I'd bet it's related to a loaded drivetrain. I say this only because the many times that I have accidentally knocked the shifter into gear, the tractor was running in neutral; no load on the geartrain. I know there were plenty of other times when the shifter worked easily when I intended it to, but those times don't stand out like the hard shifting or accidental shifting occasions.

I don't think there's anything abnormal with the functioning of the range shifter and it's just the nature of the beast. The only "fix" I've found for the hard shifting is to "bump" the drive pedals, though this often results in some gear grinding if I am aggressive.

I just reread your post. Your shifting issue may be more severe than mine. Are you stopping and parking on inclines? That could contribute to a loaded drivetrain.

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
I have the same problem but maybe not as bad. I just push the brake peddle down all the way tap the forward or reverse peddle and the gear shifter now moves in or out of gear.
I;m not say it's the fix for you, but with a try.

·
Administrator
20,353 Posts
This thread has some good reading and also has the neutral creep adjustment procedure from the tech manual.:thumbup1gif:

·
Registered
21,457 Posts
This is normal I think. All you have to do is tickle either the forward or reverse pedal while gently pushing the lever in the direction you want it to go and it will move like butter. You don't have to put much pressure at all on the pedal - not even enough that the tractor will move. Been using hydrostatic Deere tractors for many years and I've got into this habit for so long I don't even realize I am doing it.

There is nothing wrong with your tractor. It's just that there is usually a slight load on the transmission at all times with the hydro.

·
Registered
210 Posts
I'm seeing the same problem on my 1025r with 4.5 hours. Usually I can't shift into L, so I shift to H, touch the foward pedal and then shift to L. Happens about 50% of the time.
If it becomes more problematic, I may have to investigate the linkage.

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
It really is just a loading up of the transmission. I simply press on the pedals, forward first, then reverse, just a tad and it slips right into gear. I was doing this just now when moving and stacking firewood without even thinking about it, but noticed I do this every time I shift the lever. Both my 1023E and now my 1025R will rarely shift into gear easily without just touching the pedals as stated above.

Just my $.02

·
Administrator
20,353 Posts
To check for creep (where the neutral adjustment isn't quite right) one must jack the rear of the tractor up (safely mind you, it can tilt due to the front axle pivot) and see if the wheels turn while the engine is running. It's easy enough to do and when properly adjusted will make gear shifts smooth as silk as long as you are on flat ground. :good2: Check out the previous thread I linked to earlier. It explains it in much better detail.

·
Registered
517 Posts
its rare but when it happens all I do is shift my weight a bit (think when you were a kid starting a sled down a hill, ha!).. That's all it takes to shift when it happens.. And yes.. its always when I'm on some kind of a slope..

·
Premium Member
2,884 Posts
If it takes more than a "tickle" on the pedals to make it shift then I would say it is the neutral creep adjustment. I had to adjust mine, the only problem is it was done by the dealer and in the process they over tightened the shock that centres the pedals and it eventually snapped, after warranty of course.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Thanks everyone.
The shifting difficulty has occurred on level ground, no load, with or without my foot on the brake a little or all the way down.

I played around today moving some square bales. If I stopped, and just slightly pulled up on the forward pedal with my toe for a second, shifting into or out of neutral worked fine.
If I didn't nudge up the pedal, moving the shifter was usually impossible, or very difficult. Dabbing the pedal down didn't work, whether F or R pedal.

I read the whole neutral creep adjustment thread - thanks for the link. If things get worse, I will try to test and fix that.

So at least now I can make it work... Much appreciated!!

==Grizzler

It really is just a loading up of the transmission. I simply press on the pedals, forward first, then reverse, just a tad and it slips right into gear. I was doing this just now when moving and stacking firewood without even thinking about it, but noticed I do this every time I shift the lever. Both my 1023E and now my 1025R will rarely shift into gear easily without just touching the pedals as stated above.

Just my $.02

·
Registered
21,457 Posts
Thanks everyone.
The shifting difficulty has occurred on level ground, no load, with or without my foot on the brake a little or all the way down.

I played around today moving some square bales. If I stopped, and just slightly pulled up on the forward pedal with my toe for a second, shifting into or out of neutral worked fine.
If I didn't nudge up the pedal, moving the shifter was usually impossible, or very difficult. Dabbing the pedal down didn't work, whether F or R pedal.

I read the whole neutral creep adjustment thread - thanks for the link. If things get worse, I will try to test and fix that.

So at least now I can make it work... Much appreciated!!

==Grizzler
After your testing I would say it would be prudent to do the adjustment. I've never had to pull up on either pedal - that's the key to needing the adjustment me thinks.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks Coaltrain. After re-reading the appropriate thread I agree. Now to find the time!

·
Premium Member
14,104 Posts
After your testing I would say it would be prudent to do the adjustment. I've never had to pull up on either pedal - that's the key to needing the adjustment me thinks.
Agree if everything is correct and adjusted correctly ,you shouldn't have to press either pedal.. Mine was off just a very little bit , dealer adjusted and it worked fine after that.

·
Registered
56 Posts
just a note on the hydraulic dampener that's used on the 1025's it is the part that you are adjusting to prevent the creeping,,, there is a lock nut on the shaft of the dampener that is supposed to be jambed against the end link,, make sure it is jambed there,,, if it is loose,, you can adjust it as many times as you want,, and with in a few hours it will be back to creeping again as the shaft will loosen out of the end link,, found this out on mine,,,

·
Registered
338 Posts
I have a new 1025r and had a 748 for 8 years. They both work the same. I shift my weight on the tractor to Rock the wheels slightly and it shifts perfectly.

Phil

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Side to side? Or forwards and backwards? : )

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have had the same issue. I never have a problem shifting to "Neutral". The issue on my 1025 arises on occasion when trying to shift from Neutral to High or Low. However, I have gotten use to it. I just apply a little pressure to the shift lever toward "Low" (or "High" if that's what I want)and, at the same time, ever-so-slightly press the forward pedal. When I do this, the shift lever goes immediately into the gear I am trying to go in to. I could go weeks with the lever working like silk and then I have the issue crop up. But since I have learned how to deal with it, it is no longer an issue for me. I used to have an X720 and I don't recall that ever having this issue. Not sure why it happens on my 1025 but I may mention the neutral creep adjustment to the dealer when they service it in the Spring.

·
Registered
3,554 Posts
Looks like JD will have to start offering "syncromesh" transmissions on compacts... How soon we forget how to get a manual transmission "off the top of the gear".:laugh:

1 - 20 of 33 Posts