Green Tractor Talk banner
21 - 40 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
2,050 Posts
OP,
You obviously opted for the stock deck lift configuration. Call your dealer and tell him you want the hydraulic lift option. Problem solved and all you have to do is swap a hose when you mow.

Reactions: Rubys Papa

·
Registered
498 Posts
Hi all
I like the fuel gauge, I can check the fuel level as I am walking past and decide if I need to add fuel before I do any thing, without starting the tractor or leaning over to see the dash.
The thing I hate about my 2014 1025R is the seat suspension unit and the seat rotator for the Back Hoe, I have had to repair both a number of times.
That being said, I love my 1025R.
Regards John

·
Registered
29 Posts
Not really hate, but it would be nice if they had back up lights and a 4WD indicator on the dash.

·
Registered
603 Posts
Just a few dislikes but were easy fixes. Installed a turnout on the exhaust, added a couple more grab handles and lengthened the FWD lever so it's easier to reach. Other than that it's a capable, impressive little tractor.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 · (Edited)
It is what it is. Your gripes, the fuel gauge and mechanical mower lift, are very common gripes that many others have shared on GTT.

Just wait until you try to grease the front U-joint on the main driveshaft, prang a light on a tree, or whack into your garage door header with the ROPS. :mad: You‘ll be back.;)
I experienced the U-joint problem with my 2305, bought a needle applicator.

Fixed the ROPS problem the first day. The guy who delivered it, helped me take off the top half.
I'm like Tractor Tim, I live in Indiana and I'm a flatlander.
Took the ROPS off my 2305, in 15 yrs. never had an incident.
As far as the lights, tore one off the very first day.
Instead of having to snake wires through the ROPS, I just cut the wires, swapped sides and soldered them.

This is wrong, your dealer didn’t install this correctly. I have the deck hangars and the quick hitch mount all installed at the same time.
This what I have.

·
Registered
2,179 Posts
I have had both the separate ele/hyd lift and the version you have now which works off the 3pt hitch lever .
I have to say, and maybe I am in the minority here on this, but I actually prefer the version that works off the 3pt controls.
I feel it gives me additional control to tackle say a super thick or tall area, where all the way down in my preset height is too low and really don't need to raise it all the way up to keep it from bogging or clogging my mulch deck setup.
The separate ele/hyd switch versions seem to be all or nothing, all the way up or all the way down.
Agreed! Keep the 3 pt mower lift. Use that money on something else!

Tim

·
Registered
2,179 Posts
I experienced the U-joint problem with my 2305, bought a needle applicator.

Fixed the ROPS problem the first day. The guy who delivered it, helped me take off the top half.

This is the set up I have.
While I’m a flat lander, please ignore my early ignorant videos with the top half of the rops removed. This tractor is too tipsy to risk it.
Now that I have more experience with it, I will not run without the rops, and I keep it up unless specifically needed to be down.

Tim

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
I did this on the 2210 I owned. The 3 point went up and down with the mower deck. My son in law had a 2305 that worked the same way. I do not know how he was raising & lowering the mower deck without the 3 point moving, unless his 2305 had the independent lift option.
It did, the mower deck was controlled by the joy stick and the 3 pt. by the lever next to the seat.
That's the way it was when I bought it so, I thought all of them were the same.

·
Registered
135 Posts
If your mulch kit ever shows up, be extremely careful when tightening the nuts onto the bolt that holds the kit to the mowing deck. I had two of the snap when I was tightening them down and that was before they were even fully tightened. It is an easy fix if you know how to weld and can add some stronger, larger bolts (which should have been done originally when the kit was manufactured). I've had mixed results with the mulching kit. When I first got it, I hated it. Partially because I was mad at how easily the bolts snapped when I was installing it and partially because it was not mulching as well as I had expected. After some adjustments and modifications, it seems to do a better job. I'm looking forward to see how it does when the leaves fall. Hope yours does well for you.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
If your mulch kit ever shows up, be extremely careful when tightening the nuts onto the bolt that holds the kit to the mowing deck. I had two of the snap when I was tightening them down and that was before they were even fully tightened. It is an easy fix if you know how to weld and can add some stronger, larger bolts (which should have been done originally when the kit was manufactured). I've had mixed results with the mulching kit. When I first got it, I hated it. Partially because I was mad at how easily the bolts snapped when I was installing it and partially because it was not mulching as well as I had expected. After some adjustments and modifications, it seems to do a better job. I'm looking forward to see how it does when the leaves fall. Hope yours does well for you.
Since I ordered the mulch kit with the tractor, the dealer will install if it ever comes in.

As far as mulching, I cut my grass at 3 1/2". When it's time to chop leaves, I lower the deck to 2 1/2". It gives you more suction and won't hurt the grass at that time of the year.

·
Registered
2,040 Posts
I’m a Hoosier flatlander too not far from @Tractor Tim but I would advise to leave your ROPS as designed. It doesn’t take big hills to roll your tractor. A small depression that your front wheel drops in can be enough to roll it over on level ground. Good news that you’ve been safe for a long time!

·
Registered
135 Posts
Since I ordered the mulch kit with the tractor, the dealer will install if it ever comes in.

As far as mulching, I cut my grass at 3 1/2". When it's time to chop leaves, I lower the deck to 2 1/2". It gives you more suction and won't hurt the grass at that time of the year.
If you have the lift-n-go (or whatever they're called) brackets on your deck it really is a 10-minute process at most to put the mulching kit on if you don't feel like waiting on the dealer to do it. With the 60" deck my yard isn't flat enough for me to run 2 1/2". I'm terrified to go down to 3". I know I can put the guard wheels down to prevent it, but if they're on the ground when I turn they drag sideways and rip up the yard. I'm not overly impressed with the mowing capabilities of the 1025R but it gets the job done. I knew what I was getting when I bought it.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
If you have the lift-n-go (or whatever they're called) brackets on your deck it really is a 10-minute process at most to put the mulching kit on if you don't feel like waiting on the dealer to do it. With the 60" deck my yard isn't flat enough for me to run 2 1/2". I'm terrified to go down to 3". I know I can put the guard wheels down to prevent it, but if they're on the ground when I turn they drag sideways and rip up the yard. I'm not overly impressed with the mowing capabilities of the 1025R but it gets the job done. I knew what I was getting when I bought it.
I can't put the mulching kit on because it hasn't come in yet.
When it comes in (if it ever does) the dealer is going to install the hydraulic kit and the mulch kit at the same time.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
This is wrong, your dealer didn’t install this correctly. I have the deck hangars and the quick hitch mount all installed at the same time.
I posted a picture of the front of my tractor, can you post a picture of yours so I can compare?

·
Registered
697 Posts
I posted a picture of the front of my tractor, can you post a picture of yours so I can compare?

Here ya go. The heavy hitch weight bar is actually using the quick-hitch mounts

Tire Plant Motor vehicle Wheel Automotive tire

Motor vehicle Automotive tire Plant Mode of transport Bumper

Wheel Tire Motor vehicle Automotive tire Tread

Attachments

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
It did, the mower deck was controlled by the joy stick and the 3 pt. by the lever next to the seat.
That's the way it was when I bought it so, I thought all of them were the same.
The independent lift is an option on all of the small JD compacts. I added it to my 1025R.

·
Registered
2,050 Posts
There are three (3) types of MMM lift available for the 1 series decks. Mechanical (standard, works with 3pt), electrical (switch option on console), and hydraulic which works with the 3rd SCV. Up and down is controlled by the 3rd SCV button on the joy stick if you have the option. I had my deck hydraulic line extended to use the 3rd SCV ports. Those ports are available if you are not using the grapple or plow. In those cases I remove my deck. Easy to use this way.

·
Registered
587 Posts
As far as the lights, tore one off the very first day.
Instead of having to snake wires through the ROPS, I just cut the wires, swapped sides and soldered them.
Bosbar said, "I just cut the wires, swapped sides and soldered them"

Unnecessary. All you had to do is remove the black-out and red lenses, and switch them on each fixture. The ambers don't matter.

·
Premium Member
2020 1025R, 120R, 54D
2,734 Posts
Bosbar said, "I just cut the wires, swapped sides and soldered them"

Unnecessary. All you had to do is remove the black-out and red lenses, and switch them on each fixture. The ambers don't matter.
They still need to be physically moved side to side due to the angle of the mounting holes. No way around that, so the wiring harness either comes out or gets cut.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Just a few dislikes but were easy fixes. Installed a turnout on the exhaust, added a couple more grab handles and lengthened the FWD lever so it's easier to reach. Other than that it's a capable, impressive little tractor.
JR - could you elaborate on the exhaust turn out?

21 - 40 of 55 Posts