Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 113 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi new here didnt know where else to go. 2015 1025 r with only 200 hrs on it . Klonking noise in engine then a bang and gray oil spraying everywhere. 6 months out of warranty. Any suggestions

·
Premium Member
452 Posts
Thats a vague description but given the way you described it, sounds like you threw a rod. Take a look around and see if you see any holes in the block, begin by looking where you see the biggest puddle of oil then follow it up.

Just a point of reference. The general rule of thumb for driving vehicles is hours x 35 = mileage. So roughly thats 7000 miles. Hardly even broken in. Had you been keeping up with the normal maintenance?

Also, I thought the 1025rs had a 6 year powertrain warranty?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ya I had the service done at the dealer we purchased it from. I found a chunk of metal which I guess is PC of the block and the freeze plug. I'm. No mechanic by any means. This machine was never used beyond its means. The dealer says they have to investigate it. Hmm
The new longer warranty had not started till 2017 hours had the 3 year or 2,000 hr

·
Administrator
17,067 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Wow! I just replace that part last week. It was broke right off reason I knew was I found the air cleaner strap in the yard and everything was rattling around under the hood. It's just a plate that has about 4 screws that the air cleaner attaches to. Parts of it were missing that cracked off . I had no clue that could cause a engine fail?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
T2timmy thank you for your insight. I guess I just need to convince John deere on this. Our dealer I'm not convinced has the knowledge to put 2 in 2 together. When I ordered that part I would think that they had at least of heard of this issue. Seems kinda coincidence that not even a week after replacing that it happend. Now that I think of it the tractor was running rough n that time . My wife would look at me when she heard it (coughing) is what she called it.

·
Registered
943 Posts
Did you take a sample of the oil for analysis? That could indicate what caused the problem and if a mechanical failure because of JD error or defect then JD should make it good even if out of warranty.

·
Registered
29 Posts
T2timmy thank you for your insight. I guess I just need to convince John deere on this. Our dealer I'm not convinced has the knowledge to put 2 in 2 together. When I ordered that part I would think that they had at least of heard of this issue. Seems kinda coincidence that not even a week after replacing that it happend. Now that I think of it the tractor was running rough n that time . My wife would look at me when she heard it (coughing) is what she called it.
It had already ingested part of the intake plate if this is the case. I would heavily pressure your dealer into "dealing" with this. By the sounds of it, you require a new long block at the least. These Yanmar engines are really reliable, but when outside influences cause failure, is when it hits the fan. (or the top of the piston then out the side in this case)

To be a fly on the wall at the Yanmar engineering room in Osaka when they learned what was being bolted to the intake plate. Im not sure how to say "I didnt sign off on that!" in Japanese!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
1962lark.. would that cause it to run rough and spit and sputter. I actually thought maybe was bad gas or something

·
Registered
280 Posts
1962lark.. would that cause it to run rough and spit and sputter. I actually thought maybe was bad gas or something
These motors always start a bit chokey and smokey at first cold start. That is common. But they are excellent engine and run forever. But your issue is totally related to the broken valve cover due to the air cleaner mount. No If’s And’s or But’s. Read through the very long posts on this issue. Youl see.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
29 Posts
Absolutely it can. Having an imbalance of compression/airflow across the engine can cause an upset in the other cylinders. Considering we've only got 3, it doesn't take much.

The "spit/sputter" you noticed was likely a lack of compression in one or more cylinders. No doubt caused by either an ingestion of parts, or ingestion of dust/debris while working. Either is obviously a bad situation. Like I mentioned earlier, this tractor will need a new engine in my opinion given the information we've got. The air cleaner damage is well known, so I would be pressuring my dealership to go to bat for me with Deere. It is really no fault of Yanmar, unless they gave explicit permission to mount the air cleaner the way Deere did. My opinion of course. Your mileage may vary.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I will definitely read them I did see a few things online when it broke and had seen a few cases. I didnt see anything that said it would cause this problem but it does make sense. In your opinion should John deere cover this. I called a different dealer on a engine cost . It was like 7,000. We just paid the tractor off and are besides are self's on what to do and how to go about it.
The thing that really upsets me is we have spent almost 60 grand n past 5 years with this dealer and they kinda passed it on to us to get ahold of John deere instead of at least offering to contact someone on our behalf.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I did not have a oil sample done a friend told me it looked like radiator was mixed with engine oil somehow. I have no clue

·
Registered
943 Posts
I did not have a oil sample done a friend told me it looked like radiator was mixed with engine oil somehow. I have no clue
Was that after the incident? Dosen't matter the oil analysis could possibly still have revealed JD ah oh's.

·
Registered
29 Posts
An oil analaysis is of no use when something is ingested into the intake. Everything is hunky dory until it isnt.

Its a known issue. Deere should cover it.

If for some unbeknownst reason they or any other surrounding dealer has turned their back on you and you cant get anywhere with Deere, I would consult a local AG mechanic to change the engine with a drop in. In these little tractors it isnt rocket science, and it will likely be cheaper.

That said, I would be fighting tooth and nail to get Deere to cover it. Known issue.

1 - 20 of 113 Posts