Green Tractor Talk banner

41 - 60 of 117 Posts

·
Premium Member
597 Posts
I have a 2014 and I updated it myself...dealer did allow discounts. One thing to keep in mind when this happens out of warranty you are own your own.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Hi new here didnt know where else to go. 2015 1025 r with only 200 hrs on it . Klonking noise in engine then a bang and gray oil spraying everywhere. 6 months out of warranty. Any suggestions
Sounds as though you got another 1025R lemon like mine was. Just short of 2 years, I traded mine in on a 2025R. Should have gone with the 2025R as my 4010 was like a 2019E and was good until the front Ujoint off the engine blew apart at 9 years and 660 hours.

The 1025R had a whole slew of problems before the last oil leak behind the injector did it for me.

Good luck in getting some restitution from JD.

No problems with the 2025R after around 2 years. Thinking Kubota for the next tractor.

Ralph

·
Administrator
17,482 Posts
Sounds as though you got another 1025R lemon like mine was. Just short of 2 years, I traded mine in on a 2025R. Should have gone with the 2025R as my 4010 was like a 2019E and was good until the front Ujoint off the engine blew apart at 9 years and 660 hours.

The 1025R had a whole slew of problems before the last oil leak behind the injector did it for me.

Good luck in getting some restitution from JD.

No problems with the 2025R after around 2 years. Thinking Kubota for the next tractor.

Ralph
I guess you failed to read the entire thread before bashing the OP's tractor choice and John Deere.

·
Registered
291 Posts
I guess you failed to read the entire thread before bashing the OP's tractor choice and John Deere.
And he replaced it with basically the same tractor with bigger tires. His post makes no sense. op I am glad JD stepped up to take care of you. Makes me feel better about my recent purchase of a Deere than I already did.

Sent from my QTAIR7 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
The worst thing about this incident is that these Yanmar engines are such reliable and brilliantly engineered units, and the engine was destroyed by a shoddy POS designed air cleaner that some idiot cobbled together, it’s a shame.

I’m glad JD is making this right though, $8K for an engine would not be fun.

·
Premium Member
597 Posts
To be specific as case in point...a friend has a 757 zero turn. In operation of machine it was loosing some oil. Complaint was after Dealer changed oil this started. However it was operated till the engine broke down. Dealer changed engine, luckily for friend only charged parts and unit was out of warranty. "Good dealer". Anyway just a couple of weeks ago I noticed some oil at the rear of my 757. Upon examination I noted oil lower than usual and there was oil at rear of engine. The rear seal had gone out. $8.00 later and about 45 minute job seal replaced. Probably if I had ran engine another time or so without checking oil I could have waisted it. Unit has 650 hrs. I would have been my neglect. Some of the seals produce a gradual oil loss and this is a point it is air whipped and hard to detect. On this model Deere didn't make compartment accessible for easy inspection.

·
Registered
536 Posts
To be specific as case in point...a friend has a 757 zero turn. In operation of machine it was loosing some oil. Complaint was after Dealer changed oil this started. However it was operated till the engine broke down. Dealer changed engine, luckily for friend only charged parts and unit was out of warranty. "Good dealer". Anyway just a couple of weeks ago I noticed some oil at the rear of my 757. Upon examination I noted oil lower than usual and there was oil at rear of engine. The rear seal had gone out. $8.00 later and about 45 minute job seal replaced. Probably if I had ran engine another time or so without checking oil I could have waisted it. Unit has 650 hrs. I would have been my neglect. Some of the seals produce a gradual oil loss and this is a point it is air whipped and hard to detect. On this model Deere didn't make compartment accessible for easy inspection.
Go show! Being vigilant really paid off!

·
Registered
33 Posts
That is awesome that Deere stepped up and covered it.

That is a somewhat weak design on the old type mount for the air cleaner. I watched the Tractor Tim with Tim video, and the new air cleaner design and the mounting system seems much better.

If it's a piece of equipment, anything can go wrong with it, sometimes in ways that their designers did not envision. Deere is not the only manufacturer with occasional issues. They all have issues, even premium brands like Rolls Royce or Porsche (intermediate shaft failure). You are talking big bucks in the multi-tens of thousands due to a manufacturer defect.

Glad you got through it OK.

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
36,602 Posts
Maybe I missed it but does anyone know the new filter part number(s)?

·
Registered
143 Posts
My Dealer has ordered parts for the air cleaner "fix" and will come out and fix it next week. I am being charged $150 for travel time - about the same as hiring someone to trailer the tractor down there.

Is this common for a warranty repair like this? I asked for the parts (apparently covered) and I would do it myself - but was told my warranty (and extended warranty) would be voided if I did so.

So, either way - I'm out $150 for JD's f*** up.

·
Premium Member
1,810 Posts
My Dealer has ordered parts for the air cleaner "fix" and will come out and fix it next week. I am being charged $150 for travel time - about the same as hiring someone to trailer the tractor down there.

Is this common for a warranty repair like this? I asked for the parts (apparently covered) and I would do it myself - but was told my warranty (and extended warranty) would be voided if I did so.

If the tractor's not still within its factory, 'as sold' warrenty, then I've heard that is not uncommon to charge for a 'house call'. Conversely, if it's still within warrenty I've heard most of the time the customer is not charged for a 'house call'.

With this situation that arose, and JD knows about it, I think that's poor customer service for the dealer not to let you give them the old parts in exchange for the new parts and let you install it yourself. It's not like it's an internal piece of the engine, or some secret 'repair solution'. A 5 yr old could change these parts. It ain't rocket surgery. I'd discuss it with them, even politely push the issue, about being unsatisfactory service that they won't let you do it.

Good luck

·
Registered
1,842 Posts

Both of mine were updated while within warranty. Nothing was said about voiding the warranty, but the dealer's service department had to perform the repair for it to be covered. I would have rather done it myself and it would have been far more convenient. That being said, with the number of zero brain matter idiots and the fact we live in a litigious society, I understand that position. Though I've heard others receiving the on-site warranty repair or being handed the parts for DIY installation.

The service manager worked with me so I could bring the tractor in first thing in the morning and they would do the work immediately. I delivered the tractor, left for the bakery, returned with two dozen fried rolls for the service techs, and they were just finishing up.

I don't believe and would be quite surprised if JD were to pay travel time/mileage for warranty to be performed on-site, especially for a sub-compact tractor.

In my opinion, the $150 for pickup and re-delivery sounds reasonable----especially for Hawaii traffic. You could check with a towing company and see what they would charge as an alternative. My dealer is a 20 minute drive away. However, by the time I hooked up the trailer, loaded the tractor, chained it down, unchained, unloaded and then repeated the process all again, it was two hours plus.

·
Registered
140 Posts
The more I hear of this and the more research I can do...there seems to be a great latitude in the ambition of dealerships to 1. be proactive and support a good customer and future business or 2. do nothing while relying on Deere's fix-as-fail (I got that verbatim from NC), which sounds like betting that most will fail once out of warranty thereby absolving Deere of culpability. BUT... and a regret having to say this: It':knownothing:s not so corporate-ly simply. In a world of Johnson & Johnson (baby powder), Bayer acquiring the headaches of Monsanto, Big Pharma opioids. IMHO Deere has already stained their hand by PROVIDING a remedy, not just an enhancement- counsel would argue a remedy would not exist without pre-existing knowledge of a problem extant. Suspect this will intrigue some ambitious jurisprudent minds and we will be getting notified we qualify for inclusion in the class-action lawsuit, to Deere's perhaps imprudent disadvantage.

As for me, my purchase dealership is in category 2, not category 1 so I will be funding the 'remedy' myself (like many of you) rather than chance the risks...

just my $0.02
:knownothing:

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
The more I hear of this and the more research I can do...there seems to be a great latitude in the ambition of dealerships to 1. be proactive and support a good customer and future business or 2. do nothing while relying on Deere's fix-as-fail (I got that verbatim from NC), which sounds like betting that most will fail once out of warranty thereby absolving Deere of culpability. BUT... and a regret having to say this: It':knownothing:s not so corporate-ly simply. In a world of Johnson & Johnson (baby powder), Bayer acquiring the headaches of Monsanto, Big Pharma opioids. IMHO Deere has already stained their hand by PROVIDING a remedy, not just an enhancement- counsel would argue a remedy would not exist without pre-existing knowledge of a problem extant. Suspect this will intrigue some ambitious jurisprudent minds and we will be getting notified we qualify for inclusion in the class-action lawsuit, to Deere's perhaps imprudent disadvantage.

As for me, my purchase dealership is in category 2, not category 1 so I will be funding the 'remedy' myself (like many of you) rather than chance the risks...

just my $0.02
:knownothing:
The manufacturer of a defective product can always be held liable even many years later / Look what happened to toyota and their brake issue they refused to knowledge and the courts forced thewm to either fix or replace vehicles with defective systems.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Warranty Coverage or Not.

Hi All My 1025R is a 2014 vintage with 230 hrs on her. Simple Question is will the New JD Program be valid with my machine to replace the Air Filter Hanger or am I out of Pocket?

Originally Posted by RLstangs
John Deere has a a program to repair the air cleaner free of charge. Program # 18LV188. Give your dealer the program number and they will repair it. They will replace the engine if it is damaged. DTAC: number 116873.
The program from John Deere came out April 29, 2019 to replace the air cleaner and engine if damaged 18LV188, see your dealer.

My Local Dealer now sells Yanmar. it seams JD after 4 Million in sales last year did not like the 14,000 shortfall in his quots so they basicly dropped him for the cost of one 1025R sale after years of great service to the customer base. This leaves western Ct,. without a JD Dealer I now nee to drive 1 hr and 40+ miles for what used to be 10 minutes to the next town.

Thanks to All:usa

·
Registered
938 Posts
The bulletin states that tractors affected were built between June 2015 and April 2018. I would still talk to your dealer about it and see if there is anything that can be done.

·
Premium Member
1,810 Posts
The bulletin states that tractors affected were built between June 2015 and April 2018. I would still talk to your dealer about it and see if there is anything that can be done.
Thank you for that info. That's the first I've heard of dates of which are affected. Mine never broke and it doesn't fall within those build dates, so I don't feel so bad about paying out of pocket now.

41 - 60 of 117 Posts