121 - 140 of 164 Posts

·
Super Moderator
3,733 Posts

·
Registered
2016 1025R, H120 FEL, 60” MMM
9 Posts
Sorry new to the forum didn’t know what I was doing. Just thought I’d add to this post my 2016 which I bought used private sale had the same issue. Fortunately my local dealer was outstanding they helped me to transfer the serial numbers into my name and processed a warranty claim just in the nick of time. They ended up replacing the engine at 196hrs on the meter. Thank god it was covered I was sweating bullets for about a month getting it squared away. The only thing I paid was pickup/delivery fee which I was more than happy to pay. The dealer said that mine was the 3rd one they had done so far with this issue. So now I’ve got a “basically” brand new machine. Good fortune and shout out to the local JD dealer.

·
Super Moderator
3,733 Posts
The dealer said that mine was the 3rd one they had done so far with this issue.
We've seen this more than I'd like to on the forum. I lost count after 12.

·
Premium Member
52 Posts
Joined this forum to say THANKS and add my story. Got a 'Voluntary Repossessed' 1025r from an authorized dealer. (Everglades Tractor in Ft Pierce FL) with 67 hours on it. Now with 131 hours, it broke the air cleaner mount, and ingested parts from the valve cover/intake manifold.

Tractor made 06/06/2017, Original owner purch date/delivery of 12/01/2018 0 hrs, my purchase at 06/03/2019 at 67 hrs.

THANKS to the information here, I was well equipped to call the service dept. The warranty was transferred by the salesman (Wade) when I purchased, and they are coming today to pick it up.
It is costing $150 for the tow in, but I knew to expect that from the info here, and from a sticker they have on the tractor. I know that the engine DID ingest the pieces, I took off the intake/valve cover to diagnose the problem in the beginning. I am SO glad I didnt go taking off the cyl head as I was going to... figured that a bit of searching BEFORE doing that would help. I had NO idea there is a known problem and program to fix it. I now have to button things up again before they get here. ;)
Added images of the damage as seen from the outside, and a pic of a BIG piece stuck in the #2 intake. There was a few small pieces in the exhaust manifold also, so i know it chewed up the other pieces. Exhaust valve for #1 cyl and intake for #2 (shown below) were both 'low in the head' when I removed the valve rockers and put a straightedge across the top.

I will be doing a LOT of searching and reading about my 1025r here on the forum. What a fine resource. SulleyBear you ROCK.

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
What a crying shame, thinking about these magnificent Yanmar engines being destroyed by a shoddy designed air cleaner bracket is enough to make you feel sick.

Best of luck to you Volkemon getting a new engine.

·
Registered
627 Posts
I read through the first 4 pages and didn't see which tractors are affected. Does my 2019 1025R have the faulty part or do I already have the redesigned air filter?

Reactions: Jimmy Walker

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
I think 2019 can be either way. If it is mounted on the valve cover it's the problem one. If it's mounted on the radiator support it's good.

Sent from my SM-T510 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
52 Posts
I read through the first 4 pages and didn't see which tractors are affected. Does my 2019 1025R have the faulty part or do I already have the redesigned air filter?
Look about 3 posts up at the two pictures I posted. The top one is taken from the left (drivers) side looking under the open hood.
Do you have that HUUUUUGE piece of galvanized steel bolted to the valve cover with three bolts? By the oil fill? You got problems.

If you dont, you are fine. (y)

·
Super Moderator
9,396 Posts
Wow. It just blows my mind that John Deere hasn't recalled ALL of the affected 1 Series to upgrade the air intake system and avoid expensive engine replacement. It's also negligent that an authorized dealer would resell a unit knowing full well that the OE air intake system is a ticking time bomb.

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
Wow. It just blows my mind that John Deere hasn't recalled ALL of the affected 1 Series to upgrade the air intake system and avoid expensive engine replacement. It's also negligent that an authorized dealer would resell a unit knowing full well that the OE air intake system is a ticking time bomb.
It also pertains to the 2025R. Mine is an early 2019 2025R and it was the updated version from New. So most 2019s should be good.

Sent from my SM-T510 using Tapatalk

Reactions: Jimmy Walker

·
Registered
627 Posts
Do you have that HUUUUUGE piece of galvanized steel bolted to the valve cover with three bolts? By the oil fill? You got problems.

If you dont, you are fine. (y)
Here's my 1025R. Looks like I'm good?

·
Super Moderator
3,733 Posts

·
Premium Member
52 Posts
It was explained to me like this:

If they recall ALL the affected tractors, it will cost a lot of money. If they dont, they will have to replace the engines that are still UNDER WARRANTY. Mine was ~70 hours from being out of warranty. If it had made it to 200 hrs, there would be no powertrain warranty left, and cost JD nothing.

Likewise, if the dealer had dont the 'right' thing and replaced the assembly, there would have been some tacit admittance of a problem. This might lead to a recall, and they cant have that.

Were it not for me googling, and finding this forum, I would have had the head off, and fixed it myself. It was close!!

Glad I got the pictures I did, and the education here. Supposed to hear back today on progress. A quick call friday gave me this info:
'The tech had ~3 hrs into the machine, parts are ordered, and I will get a call Tuesday (today) to update me on progress.

I am gonna play dumb for a little while, see what they say. The start in with some of the info I have gotten here. I am anxious to see what they report as damage inside the motor. I am 99.9% sure they dont know I have pictures of the pieces in the intake AND exhaust manifolds.

So this is the last time I saw my tractor... headed out on a trailer.
And yes, I told the driver to get a hook on the chain and NOT have the binder hooked like that. Explained how a binder is NOT an anchoring device, but a tensioning device. He was 'Meh' at first, once he found out the DOT guys fined the DRIVER not the company for such violations, he was very attentive. :oops:

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
The phrase "class action lawsuit" comes to mind if their plan is to let people's tractors blow the engines up after 200 hours, absolving them of any responsibility, when we all know they are damn sure aware of the problem.
Not a standup tactic by any stretch, for the cost of a relocation kit per tractor? $150 street price on the new filter is probably a $50-75 direct cost to JD, plus 15 minutes of labor. Shameful in my opinion to not recall them.

·
Registered
3,944 Posts
It was explained to me like this:

If they recall ALL the affected tractors, it will cost a lot of money. If they dont, they will have to replace the engines that are still UNDER WARRANTY. Mine was ~70 hours from being out of warranty. If it had made it to 200 hrs, there would be no powertrain warranty left, and cost JD nothing.

Likewise, if the dealer had dont the 'right' thing and replaced the assembly, there would have been some tacit admittance of a problem. This might lead to a recall, and they cant have that.

Were it not for me googling, and finding this forum, I would have had the head off, and fixed it myself. It was close!!

Glad I got the pictures I did, and the education here. Supposed to hear back today on progress. A quick call friday gave me this info:
'The tech had ~3 hrs into the machine, parts are ordered, and I will get a call Tuesday (today) to update me on progress.

I am gonna play dumb for a little while, see what they say. The start in with some of the info I have gotten here. I am anxious to see what they report as damage inside the motor. I am 99.9% sure they dont know I have pictures of the pieces in the intake AND exhaust manifolds. View attachment 789581

So this is the last time I saw my tractor... headed out on a trailer.
And yes, I told the driver to get a hook on the chain and NOT have the binder hooked like that. Explained how a binder is NOT an anchoring device, but a tensioning device. He was 'Meh' at first, once he found out the DOT guys fined the DRIVER not the company for such violations, he was very attentive. :oops:

View attachment 789583
So you don't think JD monitors this forum?

·
Registered
2,194 Posts
I’ll keep quiet if you do! I’ve wondered this, I actually tend to think not on a regular basis but don’t know. They might think were a bunch of know it all idiots but if there smart they will read this forum and make improvements. Like the original problem of this post. Does the new air cleaner system cost them more? I doubt it, but recalling them all would.

·
Registered
3,944 Posts
I’ll keep quiet if you do! I’ve wondered this, I actually tend to think not on a regular basis but don’t know. They might think were a bunch of know it all idiots but if there smart they will read this forum and make improvements. Like the original problem of this post. Does the new air cleaner system cost them more? I doubt it, but recalling them all would.
chuckle.....I'm sure Jd does and thats one of the reasons they are number 1, they listen to their customers.

·
Premium Member
52 Posts
I count on it! 🙌

Just off the phone, my new engine comes in on Thursday, expect the tractor to be delivered early next week.

I really could not ask for a better outcome, regardless of my opinion on how they do recalls. Maybe I just happen to have lucked upon a great dealer. Dunno. But if this time next week I am moving dirt with it, YIPEEYAHOOOO!!!
I DO know if I had not found this forum, I might have had the motor torn down that night.. so thanks forum.

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
GM is finding that method of dealing with a problem expensive. They have a real problem with the rear slider windows leaking on the new trucks. Mine isn't leaking yet but from what I've heard it's just a matter of time. Anyway they have been playing that game and still not correcting the problem on the new ones they are building. There is a class action against them now. Every time they do this they end up with a recall or a longer warranty period on the problem. The fuel tank leak problem on the C6 Corvette has to be fixed for 20 years now. Mine has 7 years left. It will likely fail by then. You have to remove the transaxle to get the tanks out. So I hope it's their problem. The parts a new pump that they didn't update until they got sued. The labor is more than the pump. There have been a number of other issues I have received settlement letters on from them. They just don't learn or maybe it's still cheaper. Even with problem parts they don't all break. Although I think this stupid design they all will break. It's a bad place to mount the air cleaner. I wonder how many guys over the years will see those studs and not know about the problem and think it is a good place to mount some accessories. And ruin their engines. Mine came with the new style but still has the studs unused.

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk

121 - 140 of 164 Posts