Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought my tractor a couple months ago and haven't had a lot of time to have some fun with it yet, but I didn't like the way the exhaust was blowing back towards me and also leaving soot stains on my new tractor's pretty green paint. I've been following the forum but nothing really thrilled me so I decided to visit a good mechanic friend who makes custom exhaust. In 20 minutes at his shop with the tractor I had what I wanted. It goes in front of the axles and faces down and doesn't rub against the tire. I finished it off with a standard 1 1/2" muffler clamp. Before I did the final install I painted it with high temp paint from a local hardware store. So far I've used it and I've been happy with the results, but time will tell. The best part is all I owe a friend is lunch! It pays to know good people with the right equipment! See the pics below!

IMG_1941.JPG
IMG_1942.JPG
IMG_1943.JPG

·
Premium Member
2,735 Posts
nice looking mod. should work out fine.:good2::good2:

·
Registered
3,554 Posts
It ain't a "stack".... but it's really nicely done!:laugh:

·
Registered
67 Posts
Nice mod. Does the increase in pipe make any difference in engine performance? I found a 1.5" x 3" turn down on EBay that worked really well. Never understood Deere's reasoning for how they designed the muffler along with that little stub for the locking differential. Some of their engineering is skeptic. Still a very good tractor but they could clean some things up.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
To be honest I never even gave that a thought? I only have 6 hours on the tractor so far and an hour or so since the new pipe. I haven't noticed any change in performance , but it's nice not having the diesel fumes blowing me back in my face.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Do you have an FEL

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I257 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
Nice mod. Does the increase in pipe make any difference in engine performance? I found a 1.5" x 3" turn down on EBay that worked really well. Never understood Deere's reasoning for how they designed the muffler along with that little stub for the locking differential. Some of their engineering is skeptic. Still a very good tractor but they could clean some things up.
I am sure the engineers come up with great designs and then the budget analysts get a hold of it and it becomes something less than planned!:laugh:

·
Registered
4,422 Posts
That's a really nice mod and the workmanship looks first-class.:bigthumb:

But if my memory serves me, I vaguely remember someone else on GTT trying a downward facing exhaust extension and later complained about raising a lot of dust when it's over dry sandy soil. I can't find that post right now, but I figured I'd ask you to let us know after running it for a while.

BTW, if this mod works well ... maybe you can convince your friend to weld up a few to sell on GTT? I've been waiting for a good bolt-on exhaust extension for my tractor.

Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
403 Posts
SNIP..... I vaguely remember someone else on GTT trying a downward facing exhaust extension and later complained about raising a lot of dust when it's over dry sandy soil.
I recall a thread from my lawn mower forum days about a guy who had some burned spots on his lawn and could not figure out the cause. He also had a modded downward exhaust on his rider mower which was not a 1 series tractor.

He finally figured out the downward exhaust was causing damage/burning to grass if mower was stopped in one spot for more than a few seconds.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Nice! Just a question does that front axle have a pivot point in the middle? Would that axle hit the exhaust pipe during axle travel like when the left tire would be up on a mound of dirt and right tire down?

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
No it doesn't. When we were test fitting it,, we jacked it up and pivoted the axle and turned the wheels bot directions to make sure it cleared the tire and the axle. I looked into purchasing a straight pipe and it would have hit the tire turning left. So far this is working out well. Time will tell of course.

·
Premium Member
2,735 Posts
I am in agreement with TOMFIVE if your friend has the pattern for this he could sell several of them. I'm from the quad-cities and in sterling often.. :good2:

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
That's a really nice mod and the workmanship looks first-class.:bigthumb:

But if my memory serves me, I vaguely remember someone else on GTT trying a downward facing exhaust extension and later complained about raising a lot of dust when it's over dry sandy soil. I can't find that post right now, but I figured I'd ask you to let us know after running it for a while.

BTW, if this mod works well ... maybe you can convince your friend to weld up a few to sell on GTT? I've been waiting for a good bolt-on exhaust extension for my tractor.

Just my 2 cents.

I also considered the dust issue, but it's usually not an issue where I live and the benefits of not having the diesel exhaust blowing back on me in my opinion outweighs the dust issue. This could, however, change after I have a chance to really get out and play some more.

And for the record, this was made on an exhaust pipe bender and the ends were cut to the desired shapes. Nothing had to be welded, so it's all 1 piece. A shop that can custom bend exhaust like this is a rare thing these days, but if you have one, they can make this for you relatively cheap. And they can bend the end to whatever direction you want.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I am in agreement with TOMFIVE if your friend has the pattern for this he could sell several of them. I'm from the quad-cities and in sterling often.. :good2:
Well you can get a hold of me and meet me at my friends shop and he can make you another one while you wait if you want? I don't think it took him more than 15 minutes if that? He's in Rock Falls, so you're only 45 minutes away! I can discuss it with him but I'm sure it' not a problem.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I recall a thread from my lawn mower forum days about a guy who had some burned spots on his lawn and could not figure out the cause. He also had a modded downward exhaust on his rider mower which was not a 1 series tractor.

He finally figured out the downward exhaust was causing damage/burning to grass if mower was stopped in one spot for more than a few seconds.
This was actually my first concern. I'm going to keep an eye on it to see what happens, but if it becomes an issue I'll have another one made to adjust it if I can. I don't sit still much and usually keep moving so I thought I'd give it a try? I'm also assuming the exhaust temp isn't crazy high being that it's diesel, but I could be wrong? Wouldn't be the first time! :laugh:

·
Registered
12,341 Posts
I also considered the dust issue, but it's usually not an issue where I live and the benefits of not having the diesel exhaust blowing back on me in my opinion outweighs the dust issue. This could, however, change after I have a chance to really get out and play some more.

And for the record, this was made on an exhaust pipe bender and the ends were cut to the desired shapes. Nothing had to be welded, so it's all 1 piece. A shop that can custom bend exhaust like this is a rare thing these days, but if you have one, they can make this for you relatively cheap. And they can bend the end to whatever direction you want.
look's good-and as Harold-ain't no stack-but itta do:laugh: i love stacks:lol: back in the early 80's-every one was getting a pipe bender to cash in on the exhaust business here around me. i even had several places put whole exhaust packages on some of my vehicles. then a couple places started using cheaper pipe than others, and that was just plain crazy, as that pipe rusted out in one season. so u had to watch and ask a lot of questions at certain shops.
back then it was at least half of what a factory exhaust cost, so if u got the good pipe on, u was money ahead. not so if u got the tin walled pipe.

·
Registered
32 Posts
No it doesn't. When we were test fitting it,, we jacked it up and pivoted the axle and turned the wheels bot directions to make sure it cleared the tire and the axle. I looked into purchasing a straight pipe and it would have hit the tire turning left. So far this is working out well. Time will tell of course.
Oh ok cool ?! Looks good!

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 37 Posts