Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've never had good experiences with extended warranties. They either excluded what went wrong or nothing went wrong. They just cost me money.

But with this 2016 tractor, I'm now faced with no warranty after April or I buy an extended warranty. What do you guys and gals think? I can fix just about anything on it, but something like transmission parts or hydraulics will be parts cost intensive.

I've had no problems other than the FEL isn't level. One side is higher than the other. The frame is level/squared with the pavement, but one side of the bucket is lower. This is a problem with pallet forks and when trying to scrape a drive level.

For reference, I have only put 150 hrs on it because of a lot of vacation travel since purchase. I anticipate more hours in the next 12 months (less travel and more tractor work on 6 acres).

Thanks for experienced input.

·
Premium Member
2,735 Posts
Have you had the loader checked by dealer. What does he say?

·
Registered
12,294 Posts
if ur loader or bucket isn't level??? :dunno: why haven't ur dealer fixed it?? do it or start :cell: anybody who will listen to u.

don't wait till ur warranty is gone. do it NOW.

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
I would do some research and see if anyone has any high hour 1 series and what issues have developed. I have not read about too many serious issues about the 1 series on this forum but I still think most of them are still fairly new. I would think the next 2-3 years we will see if there are any system issues that develop like the 2210 & 2305 had with their driveshaft & PTO cases.

I would think unless you plan putting hundreds of more hours during the extended warranty period it might not be of use to you other than ease of mind. Personally I would not consider getting one unless I had already had a serious problem during the normal warrant period and I plan on putting a couple of hundred hours a year on the tractor and really working it. If that is the case and the tractor is paid for consider trading it in for new and a new factory warranty.

·
Registered
619 Posts
You already purchased an extended warranty. You bought a John Deere.

·
Premium Member
6,593 Posts
Here's my 2 cents,

I like to take the risk, and whatever the cost of the extended warranty is put that money into any repair that MAY occur. Basically, I am self insuring and if nothing major happens I am money ahead.

·
Bonehead Club Lackey
10,265 Posts
I've never had good experiences with extended warranties. They either excluded what went wrong or nothing went wrong. They just cost me money.

But with this 2016 tractor, I'm now faced with no warranty after April or I buy an extended warranty. What do you guys and gals think? I can fix just about anything on it, but something like transmission parts or hydraulics will be parts cost intensive.

I've had no problems other than the FEL isn't level. One side is higher than the other. The frame is level/squared with the pavement, but one side of the bucket is lower. This is a problem with pallet forks and when trying to scrape a drive level.

For reference, I have only put 150 hrs on it because of a lot of vacation travel since purchase. I anticipate more hours in the next 12 months (less travel and more tractor work on 6 acres).

Thanks for experienced input.
How is that possible? No warranty after April on a 2016 tractor? I thought there was a 6 years plan and 2 years bumper to bumper. I didn't have the new warranty they have now but I had a 3 year bumper to bumper. Something doesn't sound right. :dunno:

·
Registered
4,000 Posts
Go with the extended warranty. The guy that bought my 1025R had serious problems with the tranny and it cost him big bucks. Dealer had done all the tranny service. Because of that i went with the extended warranty on my 4066R.

Dave
Sent from my Samsung Note

·
Read Only
1,932 Posts
I'm with Levi on this one, that ain't right. If the tractor is a 2016 you should have a full bumper to bumper warranty for 2 years or 2000 hours. Attachments only have a 12 month warranty however, which your loader would fall under. I believe that 2016 model 1 and 2 series tractors have a 6 year power train warranty.

If you decide to do the extended warranty pay particular attention to the fine print. The extended warranty covers from the time you bought the tractor, not after the original warranty runs out. So if you have a two year warranty from purchasing, which I believe you do, and then buy the four year extended warranty tomorrow, that four year extended is really only two years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,000 Posts
I'm with Levi on this one, that ain't right. If the tractor is a 2016 you should have a full bumper to bumper warranty for 2 years or 2000 hours. Attachments only have a 12 month warranty however, which your loader would fall under. I believe that 2016 model 1 and 2 series tractors have a 6 year power train warranty.

If you decide to do the extended warranty pay particular attention to the fine print. The extended warranty covers from the time you bought the tractor, not after the original warranty runs out. So if you have a two year warranty from purchasing, which I believe you do, and then buy the four year extended warranty tomorrow, that four year extended is really only two years.

That is not true in this case. I took out the 4 year extended warranty which gives me a total of 6 years warranty.

Dave

·
Registered
523 Posts
I have 520 hours on my 2015 2015R. Had one issue with the ROPS light wiring, and a scored backhoe cylinder. All were found within a week and fixed by the Dealer. Have not had anything else go wrong (well except for the swivel seat linkage) Have never had it back to the Dealer. Going with the extended warranty is simply insurance. Those that get it are paying into a kitty to pay for repairs on a few units.

If I get a new 2038R I would definitely get it, but something like the 1025R with some history behind it, I personally would not.

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
I want to throw my .02 in here regarding extended warranty. I have never delt with JD warranty or their extended warranty so I'm not picking on JD. I am however picking on extended warranties from GM, Dodge, Yamaha, and Frigidaire. I once was pro extended warranty but now I believe they are a pit for the consumer to throw their money into. If you ever have to make a claim you better have every single item checked off on their maintenance schedules and proof of these items being completed. You will most likely still have a hard time but this is a must do right out of the gate. If your one to do your own matinence to the machine, your chances at getting extended warranty claims covered is just about a "never going to happen". The expense to keep up with every single maintenance item often will cost more than the extended warranty so your already headed down a dead end street finically speaking. If your putting a lot of hours on the machine or using it at the upper limits of its capabilities that's one thing but if your the average home/land owner that's a completely different league and your the exact customer extended warranty is meant for. I mention the above companies because they are the ones I have experience with regarding extended warranty. A couple of them required me having to pay for all repairs upfront then battle with the extended warranty folks to get reimbursed, good luck with that nightmare! Again I'm not saying this is how JD operates but I wouldn't be surprised if they do. There is a time and place for extended warranties but for the average consumer your the one paying for the warranty claims a select few make. The expense of the extended warranty plus the expenses you will have making sure every detail that could prevent a claim from being paid is met all totals up to a rather substantial amount of money that could go a long ways towards one of those big items such as an engine or hydrostat repair.

·
Read Only
1,932 Posts
That is not true in this case. I took out the 4 year extended warranty which gives me a total of 6 years warranty.

Dave
Mine was what I listed above. $2100 for the four year extended warranty but it stated on the paperwork that the extended warranty started from original purchase date of tractor. If yours was four years added onto the original factory two year warranty then I got a bum deal.

·
Registered
4,000 Posts
Here are the specs on my extended warranty. As you can see, it extends it through the end of 2020. My original warranty expired at the end of 2016. Although the tractor has been rock solid and only has been back to the dealer for a recall, I did not want to take any chances what with all the new emissions stuff, especially after I found out about my old 1025R having significant tranny problems.:gizmo: I thought it was kind of expensive, but when you compare it to the cost of the tractor, it is small stuff, plus peace of mind. Looks to me like you got a dud on your warranty extension.

Dave

powergard.jpg

·
Premium Member
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
warranty info thanks

Thanks for all the feedback. Tomorrow I'm going to the dealer re: crooked FEL and warranty.

I did an estimate of the Spring and Summer ahead and figure I'll put on 300+ hrs if it ever stops raining in Northern California.

·
Registered
4,574 Posts
Here's my 2 cents,

I like to take the risk, and whatever the cost of the extended warranty is put that money into any repair that MAY occur. Basically, I am self insuring and if nothing major happens I am money ahead.
Randy's comment is exactly why they sell and make a ton of money on extended warranties. Save the money you would spend on the warranty and you'll likely be ahead.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts