Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New guy here and my first post. I have been reading and debating with myself around this tractor for a couple of months now and with the 0 financing and $1950 (Canada) off from deere ending in a few weeks, I am looking to finalize my order.

A bit of background first. We just purchased and took possession of a well maintained property that is the core of what was a much larger victorian farm. I have just under 20 acres of land in total, with 7 acres as farmland (currently corn) that I do not maintain, 4 acres of lawn grass and the balance unmaintained fields and wood lot.

We also have a 400 foot gravel drive, with an additional 200 feet that loops around the house.

I am thinking that a 1025r with a 60" auto connect mower, h120 FEL and a 54" snowblower would be the place to start from the factory.

Is this too much tractor? My land is all basically flat, no significant slopes to the drive etc. I am thinking turf tires as much of this will be mowing and over my septic bed as well.

Any better options? Any tractor features that I must have( hydraulic lifts etc.)

Any thoughts are appreciated!

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
36,053 Posts
Welcome to GTT Brayman.
With your property description you may find the 1025r to be a bit small.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Welcome to GTT Brayman.
With your property description you may find the 1025r to be a bit small.
There is a ton of grass, use would be 80% mowing. I had also thought about not getting the MMM and instead getting a dedicated mower setup. The FEL will basically be used to move some old wood fence posts and things around, etc. snowblower to touch up the drive and clear some paths. Main plowing duties will get sourced out to a neighbour.

The old owner also maintained hundreds of feet of winding mown pathways through the land, that I am concerned the SCUT may not be able to turn through well. He had an old riding mower only small deck width 48" and it took 6 plus hours to mow the lawns......

·
Premium Member
1,626 Posts
If money was no object I'd say get a nice ZTR mower and a 2032R for loader and snow duty. Beings you probably like to have food and power I think the 1025R will be a great "Do All" machine for you. :lol: The 60" deck just eats up the acres as long as your yard is mostly smooth. Turf tires should help soak up some of the bumps though.

Nice looking property!

·
Premium Member
1,786 Posts
If the main snow plow duties will be done by someone else, save yourself a couple thousand and get the 54" front snowblade rather than the snowblower. It will work just fine and will actually be better for the smaller snowfall amounts than a blower would.

To maintain that gravel drive - I'd get a 3pt boxblade. I use my 1025R to maintain my 5 acres and a 1/4 mi private road and it works great.

FYI....My 1025R turns a tighter radius than my old JD180 lawn tractor (46" deck) even though it's a much larger machine.

Also - I have the R4 tires and haven't noticed any kind of damage to the lawn. The dealer recommended those over the turf tires due to the road grading I planned on doing - I guess the turf tires wear faster with that kind of work.

I can mow my entire property in about 3 hours with the 60" deck - used to take almost twice as long with the lawn tractor.

·
Premium Member
14,102 Posts
Welcome from West Virginia

:wgtt:

Agree 1025r should do find and a 60" deck. or as others maybe a 2032 and a zero turn for mowing, guessing could mow it in 3 hrs or less with zero turn and with 1025r maybe 4 hrs

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you gentlemen, my wife is already blanching at the cost, so sticking with one do it all machine is probably more doable!

Interesting thought on the front blade rather than the blower, could the blade still do the full drive if needed to?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
If the main snow plow duties will be done by someone else, save yourself a couple thousand and get the 54" front snowblade rather than the snowblower. It will work just fine and will actually be better for the smaller snowfall amounts than a blower would.

To maintain that gravel drive - I'd get a 3pt boxblade. I use my 1025R to maintain my 5 acres and a 1/4 mi private road and it works great.

FYI....My 1025R turns a tighter radius than my old JD180 lawn tractor (46" deck) even though it's a much larger machine.

Also - I have the R4 tires and haven't noticed any kind of damage to the lawn. The dealer recommended those over the turf tires due to the road grading I planned on doing - I guess the turf tires wear faster with that kind of work.

I can mow my entire property in about 3 hours with the 60" deck - used to take almost twice as long with the lawn tractor.

Great info thanks!

·
Super Moderator
4,886 Posts
With that wide-open lawn I don't even know that I'd go with a zero-turn. I'd be looking at a nice 12'-wide gang reel mower.

·
Premium Member
1,786 Posts
Thank you gentlemen, my wife is already blanching at the cost, so sticking with one do it all machine is probably more doable!

Interesting thought on the front blade rather than the blower, could the blade still do the full drive if needed to?
I've maintained a 300+ ft drive and helped neighbors maintain the road for the last 3 years with my JD180 and 42" blade, till last year (worst winter in 130 years in this area - 90" of snow over 4 months) it worked just fine - the deep snow last year caused me to blow the input gear on the transmission on the lawntractor. The 1025R won't have ANY problems at all.

FYI....MMM is a $2800 option, you can get a decent used zero-turn for less and it would mow faster than the 1025R. I went with the MMM because I don't have the space to store 2 machines and wanted the engine running year-round to avoid having to winterize it.

My tractor with taxes and everything was just under $20K and the payment is $279 USD/month for 72 months (zero interest.)

·
Registered
171 Posts
I'd say go with the 1025 and don't look back! Unless you have all kinds of money to spend, if so go for it! That 1025 will cut your mowing time down significantly. I prefer a snowblower over a plow. Snow banks can get mighty big with a plow unless you really push it back. Snow blower just flings it out of the way. I wouldn't bother with the auto connect deck either, unless you are going to take the deck off a lot throughout mowing season. Just my 2 cents.

By the way, beautiful place you have there.

·
Registered
373 Posts
I'd say go with the 1025 and don't look back! Unless you have all kinds of money to spend, if so go for it! That 1025 will cut your mowing time down significantly. I prefer a snowblower over a plow. Snow banks can get mighty big with a plow unless you really push it back. Snow blower just flings it out of the way. I wouldn't bother with the auto connect deck either, unless you are going to take the deck off a lot throughout mowing season. Just my 2 cents.

By the way, beautiful place you have there.
^^^^ What he said^^^^

I'd opt for the blower, myself. Remember that the mmm is a finish mower and not a rotary cutter. It'll get it done, but with a bit of a struggle in the really tall stuff.

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
First off: :wgtt:

Now, I guess I'll have to chime in here in defense of the "two machine" owners. I have a 1025R FILB, and I use it as a tractor. Basically, it moves heavy loads, digs in the dirt, tills the garden, levels the land and grades the driveway (among at least a dozen other things). I also own a ZTR for mowing. For $2.5K you can own a real nice dedicated mower like a Toro, or Cub Cadet ZTR that just mows, and it does this task very well.

I am sure that the 54"and 60" MMM option for the 1025R would be a great mowing implement, but I really don't see it being better or faster than a ZTR, especially for the money. Also, why would you want to put hundreds of hours a year on a $20K tractor, when you can put those hours on a $2.5K mower? One other feature of owning two machines is the wife can drive one while you drive the other. Twice the work gets done! :good2:

If it still takes too long to mow with just a ZTR, then the wife will have no problem with you adding a MMM to the tractor so you can both accomplish the task at the same time. Sell it to her as "together" time. :lol:

·
Registered
8,172 Posts
My thoughts, for what they are worth....

I plow a total of 1.5 MILES of private road and between 8 and 12 driveways with my 22 hp John Deere Yanmar Diesel in my 455. I have virtually all of the attachments made for my tractor (except the Cab). I use the snow plow blade 85% to 90% of the time and I use the blower ONLY when I need to move back the plow banks and piles. I am plowing virtually all paved surfaces and if I did have to plow any gravel drives, I would certainly use the John Deere Front mounted snow plow before I would use the blower.

Mother nature has this unique sense of humor that regardless of the direction I am blowing the snow, she tends to automatically adjust accordingly and put too much of it right back in my face. I can plow for an hour and not be as cold as I am after 10 minutes of having that snow blow back in my face when using the blower.

It should also be mentioned that the front mount, shaft driven 47" or 52" two stage Deere snowblowers are impressive snow moving machines. But they will also propel anything which you run through them at a impressive, yet highly dangerous velocity and for a surprising distance. It would be very easy to pick up a piece of gravel and knock out a window 50 feet or more away. The edges of my driveway are all 1" to 2.5" rocks which are in the landscaping beds instead of bark. So I am very familiar with the snowblowers rock propelling capabilities. So far (17 yrs later) no damaged windows or anything else, but you have to pay attention.

I did run a Yellow Pages phone book through the blower last year. It did not shear the pin, damage anything, but it did take the better part of an hour to pick up all of the paper which I blew all over the neighborhood. It is great fun to trudge thru knee deep snow to pick up paper with a 20 mph cross wind. Again, another consequence of the OCD disorder, I simply cant leave a mess like that.

Being a little Obsessive Compulsive, I like the neatness of the plow with the rubber squeege edge. I did take two of the 54" John Deere snowplows and I cut the ends off of one and welded it to the ends of the other plow. The result is a 7' 4" snowplow, with a custom rubber scraper edge and I also fabricated a top mounted snow "shield" to "roll" the snow as I am plowing, instead of having it accumulate and come up over the top of the plow. I made the upper shield out of what I was told are "bailing belts" which are approximately 12" wide, 1/4" thick and fairly stiff rubber. I did double them up and then riveted them together so they roll the snow instead of the snow rolling over it.

I think you will be very happy with the Series 1 John Deere Tractor. I am preparing to get one myself. They only problem is many of my attachments for my 455 will not fit the new tractor and when I spec'ed out the cost to purchase all new to match what I have, the total is pushing close to $30,000. Maybe I will just have to take it in "smaller bites".......

I would go blade over blower. With the tractor, I can push nearly the same snow piles most pick up trucks can except being much smaller in wheelbase and length, you have many more choices where to pile the snow. Plus you can see exactly what you are doing so you can push onto grass while raising the plow and not damage anything.

I also mow about 4 acres and it takes me about 2.5 hours. The diesel is so fuel effecient, you will use less than 1/2 the fuel of a gas zero turn. I know because I have measured it several times against a Hustler ztm, a Deere ZTM and a "red" ztm.....All mowing machines had the 60" deck. The tractor is so practical for so many things.

I have a neighbor who has a zero turn mower with a 48" deck who mows 8 acres. That is what I would call "not an optimal equipment selection". He also has a belt driven snowblower for the front of his zero turn and I can say that is a step up from using a snowshovel by hand, but not by a great deal.......

Purchase what you can afford. I am sure you will be very pleased with the 1025R deere. Oh, and welcome to the forum.!:greentractorride:

·
Registered
8,172 Posts
If it still takes too long to mow with just a ZTR, then the wife will have no problem with you adding a MMM to the tractor so you can both accomplish the task at the same time. Sell it to her as "together" time. :lol:
That would be quite the sales job........At my house, that would definately trip the bosses "B.S. Meter".....

1 - 20 of 46 Posts