Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,167 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While I'm waiting for my new tractor I'm making a list of mods and add ons and starting to order material. I'm new to tractors so need advice on this one. One of the tasks I will be doing is clearing the brush and dragging out alot of fallen dead pines and the ones I will take down. I've read on the forum that one shouldn't drag with the bucket.. Does anyone know where a good spot is to weld or bolt on a hook that would be convenient to use with the backhoe and FEL is attached ?

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
You can always get some of Ken's weld on hooks and weld it to the bucket. He sells a bolt on version as well. He is a vendor on here. I went with an Artillian grapple to deal with my trees and brush. He is a vendor here as well and the grapple is the perfect size for a 1 series if you ask me. I have a 2210 which is a predecessor of the 1 series by about 2 generations. Same size tractor though. I simply cut the tree into 10-12 foot sections (depending on size of trunk) and grab them with my grapple. Now if you are in the woods and can't carry a log due to obstacles then I usually grab the end of the log and drag with my grapple, however a set of hooks and chain might be advantageous. If you do get a grapple make sure you don't grab a log that is bigger than what you should be carrying. Rear ballast is a must and that back hoe should help a lot in that regards. :cheers:

·
Registered
110 Posts
Forks

The grapple is really a cool attachment, and I wanted one. But could not justify the cost of the grapple plus 400 to 500 to mod the hydraulics. I just got a set of forks with the guard on the back. I cut down around 50 trees plus the ones that were already down. With small limbs I just stacked them at the base of a standing tree, used the forks to smash them down and then drive in to the pile to compact it against the tree. With that said the forks are used almost 60% of the time doing other chores, while the grapple is great for what it is intended, it is not very versatile .

·
Registered
311 Posts
ME thinks

The grapple is really a cool attachment, and I wanted one. But could not justify the cost of the grapple plus 400 to 500 to mod the hydraulics. I just got a set of forks with the guard on the back. I cut down around 50 trees plus the ones that were already down. With small limbs I just stacked them at the base of a standing tree, used the forks to smash them down and then drive in to the pile to compact it against the tree. With that said the forks are used almost 60% of the time doing other chores, while the grapple is great for what it is intended, it is not very versatile .
you might get some push back on that statement. Including from me.

Lets see, rock removal, brush clearing, log carrying, stump digging, root removal, Those are the things Ive done with mine and I've only started to use them.

Steve.

·
Premium Member
1,167 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks

Thanks for the resposes. Ordering a set of teeth for the bucket along with kens hooks and will order tongs, chains, chain hooks and cable. Want to have everything in so when my tractor arrives, it's wiesbeer, tools and a day of setting it up!

Reactions: jdmich and BigJim55

·
GTT Vendor
12 Posts
I see many attachments in your future... Already on the hunt and don't have the tractor yet. Check out our site, we have several items that fit your new tractor that will help with your tasks including the Piranha Toothbar.

Sitting on your hands is tough but it will be worth the wait:yahoo:

Piranha.gif

·
Registered
523 Posts
While I'm waiting for my new tractor I'm making a list of mods and add ons and starting to order material. I'm new to tractors so need advice on this one. One of the tasks I will be doing is clearing the brush and dragging out alot of fallen dead pines and the ones I will take down. I've read on the forum that one shouldn't drag with the bucket.. Does anyone know where a good spot is to weld or bolt on a hook that would be convenient to use with the backhoe and FEL is attached ?
I am going to look at a short piece of chain I can attach to the frame or BH down low. I always pull things with my logging chains, so it would be convenient. I haven't had it on in a little while. Maybe this weekend.

·
Premium Member
1,167 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I see many attachments in your future... Already on the hunt and don't have the tractor yet. Check out our site, we have several items that fit your new tractor that will help with your tasks including the Piranha Toothbar.

Sitting on your hands is tough but it will be worth the wait:yahoo:

View attachment 192906
Ryan im going to order from ya as soon as I sign the deal with deere. bucket dentures first! Would like to know how long shipping is to millstone nj. Wont have my shop set up but gonna pull what tools I need and bang it out. Tractor will come week to ten days after I sign so want the stuff ahead of time. Gonna floss the tractor dentures with rocks when im done!!!

·
Premium Member
626 Posts
If you are dragging whole trees a choker cable would be really helpful for you. You could grab a bunch of smaller stuff or one bigger. I like them better than tongs myself. Easier to use and can be used for other things later like pulling up fence posts.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
311 Posts
It took

Ryan im going to order from ya as soon as I sign the deal with deere. bucket dentures first! Would like to know how long shipping is to millstone nj. Wont have my shop set up but gonna pull what tools I need and bang it out. Tractor will come week to ten days after I sign so want the stuff ahead of time. Gonna floss the tractor dentures with rocks when im done!!!
just under a week to get my dentures to Mass. from time of order entry. Took my son less then an hour to install. All you need are a couple of 13/16 wrenches and a 3/16 pilot drill and then a step drill.

May I suggest that when you purchase Kens hook you also get the eyelet thingy that goes with them. then you can add to the eyelets what ever you would like to attach rope/straps/chains etc.. See results below:

Steve

bucket dentures copy.jpg

·
Premium Member
1,788 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,167 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Glad you enjoy the term, bucket dentures

When I get my tractor mocked up, instead of testing the dentures on ribs, corn on the cobb and apples, its stumps, rocks and rotted buried cast iron pipe. Can't wait. Bxpanded is the forum orthodontist! I must say, your alot less expensive than the dentist,

Reactions: Marlin and BigJim55
1 - 16 of 16 Posts