Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Cant believe the owners manual suggest an oil change every 200 hrs!!??? I got my machine on this May 14th, use it every weekend to mow 2 acres and do some yard work and I only have 36 hrs on it! At that rate i wont change the oil for 2 years!! Sorry i dont buy that! I was always one for changing my oil on my tractors at least once a year, and cars every 3000.
That being said ... il probably do the oil change when I do the 50hr service.
I see the manual also recommend 15W 40 for all year around use. I use Rotella T in my Duramax.. think I can use the same oil int he yanmar???

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2,758 Posts
I am changing mine before winter and i only have 20hrs on it. I am putting JD breakin oil back in it untill 100 hours. Others on here that have more knowledge than me will offer their help. I plan on changing mine at least every year. Probaly around 70hrs.

·
Registered
146 Posts
I question whether people waste money changing the oil more often out of the manufacturers recommendations? I mean it does have a good warranty.
I know piece of mind but would you buy a tractor that had to have a oil change every 30hrs? Then people who risk damage if it doesn't have it.
Although for the record... I believe it's 200hrs or yearly...

Sent from my SM-G925T using Tapatalk

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I am changing mine before winter and i only have 20hrs on it. I am putting JD breakin oil back in it untill 100 hours. Others on here that have more knowledge than me will offer their help. I plan on changing mine at least every year. Probaly around 70hrs.
Hmmm didnt even think about it being breakin oil....

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I question whether people waste money changing the oil more often out of the manufacturers recommendations? I mean it does have a good warranty.
I know piece of mind but would you buy a tractor that had to have a oil change every 30hrs? Then people who risk damage if it doesn't have it.
Although for the record... I believe it's 200hrs or yearly...

Sent from my SM-G925T using Tapatalk
I hear ya ... but just like my Truck manual says i can change the oil every 10K, or whatever it is, i change it at 5000. To me oils cheaper then an engine and i just dont trust that it can last that long.

·
Registered
23,109 Posts
Cant believe the owners manual suggest an oil change every 200 hrs!!??? I got my machine on this May 14th, use it every weekend to mow 2 acres and do some yard work and I only have 36 hrs on it! At that rate i wont change the oil for 2 years!!
This is from the 1025R manual -

Annually

Clean radiator and oil cooler fins.
Check radiator coolant freeze point and clarity of coolant. See your John Deere Dealer for service, or to order a John Deere Coolant Test Kit.
Check and service air filter elements.
Change engine oil and filter if less than 200 hours of operation.
Drain water from fuel tank and replace fuel filters.
Check all hoses and clamps.
Check battery electrolyte level.

OMLVU28480

·
Super Moderator
5,216 Posts
Hmmm didnt even think about it being breakin oil....

If I recall correctly your manual says to stick with the Deere break-in oil up until you hit the 100 mark.

Reactions: Drifterbike

·
Registered
63 Posts
Water in oil

The problem I have in waiting until the 100 change period is that it will go past cold winter months with no change. In my neck of the woods, it can get very cold in winter, but also with a number days above freezing. That means that unless I use the tractor in the winter (which I don't) there will be condensation in the oil in the spring. I know that the condensation will eventually burn off, I just hate to start and run it with water in the oil for any period of time. So, guess will change oil in the spring to get rid of the water, and refill with JD break in oil to use for the rest of the summer. As far as oil goes, any diesel rated oil is OK as far as I am concerned. I use Royal Purple 15w/40 synthetic in my other diesel tractor. I also use an anti algae additive in the fuel tanks.

·
Premium Member
12,814 Posts
The problem I have in waiting until the 100 change period is that it will go past cold winter months with no change. In my neck of the woods, it can get very cold in winter, but also with a number days above freezing. That means that unless I use the tractor in the winter (which I don't) there will be condensation in the oil in the spring.
I only have 125 hrs on my 4-year old 2720 so I've been doing the annual oil/filter changes. I don't do any mowing with my tractor so most of the hours come from snow removal. As such, I always do my annual oil change in late September. That way I have the fresh oil in for the winter when most of the work gets done. So far I have been refilling with JD Break-in oil until just this past September when I finally went over 100 hrs and did an oil change using non Break-in oil.

·
Premium Member
12,814 Posts
I see the manual also recommend 15W 40 for all year around use. I use Rotella T in my Duramax.. think I can use the same oil int he yanmar???
15W-40 is only recommended if the temperature never gets below 0F. Below is the chart from the 1025R manual:

1025R_oil.jpg

Reactions: coaltrain

·
Premium Member
12,814 Posts
I hear ya ... but just like my Truck manual says i can change the oil every 10K, or whatever it is, i change it at 5000. To me oils cheaper then an engine and i just dont trust that it can last that long.
Yep - my Toyota is the same way and I too change it at 5K. Yes, engines have gotten better but the main reason for some of the long change intervals on autos is to give the impression of lower cost of ownership.

In some cases, if you dig into the manual you'll see that the 10K interval is only for "normal" driving conditions when in fact for most of us our driving conditions fall into what they classify as "extreme".

It is definitely a numbers game and I agree 100% that oil is cheap by comparison.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Yes, "oil is cheaper than steel". But here's something to consider.

A close friend of mine drives a truck for a major delivery company we've all heard of. He drives a large tractor trailer for them. His company changes the oil on his tractor once a year, which is probably 50,000 miles or more. Long haul truckers go even further on their oil. Those trucks stay on the road for we'll more than 1.5 million miles.

I bought an expensive Sport Car in 2007. The manufacturer called for oil changes every 20,000 miles. I wasn't comfortable with that so I changed it at 10,000. Out of curiosity I took an oil sample and sent it off to Blackstone Labs for analysis. I'll be damned if that analysis didn't reveal that the oil was about half way through its life.

Today's oils (especially synthetics) combined with today's engines can go much further than they could in the old days.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ok so after the 100 hour break in oil is up.. what do some of you, in comparible climates as CT, use for oil? Weight/Brand?

·
Registered
474 Posts
Oil is a highly engineered product designed to operate withing manufactures safety limits it is prescribed for. If a manufacturer says use "XXX Brand - yWy spec zzz.z" oil and change it every x miles/hours than that is what you should do.

If you send your oil in for testing after 100 hours of service you will be surprised at how close they call it to having 50% life left. The oils we deal with in this day and age aren't the general purpose oils of 30 years ago. This is one area where they have made massive leaps in technology and have a clear understanding of what the oil is capable of and how to design for it.

Yanmar, Cummins, Ford et al don't design and build motors then cut deals with oil manufacturers to label the motors for whatever oil they are peddling. When the engine designers sit down to design motors they include lubrication in their designs to deal with everything from hot spots to return paths as well as material loads and wear rates.

I can see changing it at 200 hours or annually but if my garage kept tractor only had 20 hours on it at the end of the year I would not waste the money on changing the oil. If you keep debris and water (moisture/condensate) out of your oil there is no reason to spend the money on changing it. Trust the engineers after all they are the ones paying for all the motors that came back seized at only 125 hours right? Haven't seen a rash of those and I would guarantee you that JD would string someone up if they missed the mark and had to buy a bunch of scrapped motors.

I put 100 hours on my tractor since new in late June. If I haven't exceeded the 200 hour mark I will change the oil in June '17 (I am fairly certain I will hit 200 hours and say goodbye to my warranty after only one year too). Replacement oil will be either the same break-in oil or beyond that will be an approved synthetic preferably one with high sulfur content. Most break-in oils are used because of their high sulfur content.

·
Registered
448 Posts
I do mine once a year regardless - however I do put about 100 hours on the 1025 and another 50 on the 3039. The oil I use is the 1540 rotella.

I figure oil is cheap insurance.:bigthumb:

·
Premium Member
6,593 Posts
I do mine once a year regardless - however I do put about 100 hours on the 1025 and another 50 on the 3039. The oil I use is the 1540 rotella.

I figure oil is cheap insurance.:bigthumb:
My manuals state specified hours OR yearly.

This is from the online manual to my 2305.

Every 200 Hours
• Change engine oil and filter.
• Change transmission oil and filter.
• Clean transmission suction screen and internal magnets.
• Inspect alternator belt.
• Check wheel bolt torque.
Every 400 Hours

• Change transmission oil and filter.
• Clean transmission suction screen.
• Replace fuel filter.
Every 600 Hours

• Check engine low idle speed.
• Check air filter element, intake, hoses, and clamps.
• Change front axle oil.
• Check brake adjustment.

Yearly
• Change engine oil and filter if less than 200 hours of operation.
• Drain water from fuel tank and replace fuel filter.
• Check all hoses and clamps.
• Check battery electrolyte level.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Cant believe the owners manual suggest an oil change every 200 hrs!!??? I got my machine on this May 14th, use it every weekend to mow 2 acres and do some yard work and I only have 36 hrs on it! At that rate i wont change the oil for 2 years!! Sorry i dont buy that! I was always one for changing my oil on my tractors at least once a year, and cars every 3000.
That being said ... il probably do the oil change when I do the 50hr service.

Yes, after break in Rotella T6 is a great oil.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Reactions: RandyM

·
Registered
11 Posts
Dealer put break-in oil in after 50 hour service as requested, but not break-in plus, this is a tier 4 engine and break-in plus is allowed, will the JD break-in oil do any harm?

·
Registered
356 Posts
Hi All
Hi KE8LW Great video only one problem. The guy doing it misses one of the most important if not the most important grease nipples on the tractor, the one on the universal at the engine end of the main drive shaft. Which should be done every 50 hours with all the other grease nipples.
Regards John

1 - 20 of 23 Posts