Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I used my front loader this am to plow the thick slushy snow last night and for some reason when i put it in float mode it seems to push down on its own and lifts the front tires. Makes steering impossible. I noticed this last year too. Anyone konw why this is happening? Pretty sure it does it with the 54” blower too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
12,282 Posts
Welcome to the world of lightweight tractors. That is a common problem for a lot of SCUT/CUT tractors as they just don't have enough weight to keep the front tires planted on the ground when in float mode.

It can sometimes be helped by carefully adjusting the tilt of the bucket. It does it all the time on my 2720 and it drives me crazy.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ya pretty positive. I give the stick a good whack froward and can feel the extra click. The bucket drops on its own. Then i start driving and it kinda feel like it pulsates pushing down and then pushes down further on its own. It doesnt lift the tires high off the ground just enough to raise the front tires a few inches.

·
Premium Member
12,282 Posts
Sounds to me like you aren't actually making it to float mode. There's a detent, you can feel it in the stick when it makes it into float mode, and any lifting of the front stops. Are you positive you are in float mode?
Good advice and something the OP should do ensure he is really in float mode. However, in float mode you will encounter another problem and that is if the bucket digs in at all the lift cylinders will get pushed back and it will lift the front tires off the ground. That's simply due to being a lightweight tractor.

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
Good advice and something the OP should do ensure he is really in float mode. However, in float mode you will encounter another problem and that is if the bucket digs in at all the lift cylinders will get pushed back and it will lift the front tires off the ground. That's simply due to being a lightweight tractor.
This was my initial thought as well.
I had that problem when I was doing some trail maintenance. I thought the bucket was level or a bit positive angle, but it wasnt. Started going and up came the wheels.
Kind of embarrassed to admit it took me a minute to figure out what was going on...but the tractor was new.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys! Hmm ok. Well my driveway is paved and i was moving snow. So no digging. Il pay more attention next time. But i use float every pass i make it and almost always picked the front tires uo some. So could just be the nature of the little beast.

·
Registered
3,296 Posts
I doesn't matter whether it's snow, dirt or gravel. When in float mode, if the resistance is too much for the given weight of the tractor, it will lift the front tires off the ground. When this occurs, I find it best to slightly lift the bucket or blade off the surface being plowed. You also need to experiment with front and rear ballast to see what works best for you and your tractor. As jgayman basically said, it's a weight thing.

·
Premium Member
13,417 Posts
Yes i do the same. I back off the bucket a bit. And i prob have too much ballast on the back. My weight box is cement filled. Whatever. I love the tractor.

I would try less weight in the rear, the day they delivered my 2025 we got 14” of snow and in a rush I put the ballast box on. In float I couldn’t steer at all, back to the garage and put 8 42# suitcase weights on and had no problems other than the already mentioned ones. I’ve found it best to not use float so I can manipulate the weight of the down force myself.

·
Registered
2,728 Posts
Yep same issue here. Just get the front blower. Does not do that with it. The different geometry of the front quick hitch does not allow for the front to pick up, as does the long arms of the loader. About the only good think about the front hitch design.
I would try less weight in the rear, the day they delivered my 2025 we got 14” of snow and in a rush I put the ballast box on. In float I couldn’t steer at all, back to the garage and put 8 42# suitcase weights on and had no problems other than the already mentioned ones. I’ve found it best to not use float so I can manipulate the weight of the down force myself.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
8,856 Posts
I used my front loader this am to plow the thick slushy snow last night and for some reason when i put it in float mode it seems to push down on its own and lifts the front tires. Makes steering impossible. I noticed this last year too. Anyone konw why this is happening? Pretty sure it does it with the 54” blower too.

That's why I have learned to set the plow down with just with the right pressure on it and I don't ever use the float mode for plowing snow. Once you get a feel for it in the FEL control, it becomes very easy to repeat and pretty soon, you won't even think about the float function and you will be able to steer your tractor as you should. For me., the float function wrecks my plowing speed.

It helps that I run a rubber squeegee on the plow edge and I can see the down pressure on the plow when lowering it with the control. It's also very helpful for back dragging from garage door openings, etc.

·
Premium Member
2,133 Posts
As others have said, when in float mode, essentially there is now no FEL weight on the front of the tractor so the ballast you have hanging on the 3 point is now trying to lift the front tires off the ground.

This is where 3 point ballast isn't the best. I don't want to start an argument over ballast but there is a time a place for weight at the rear wheels and 3 point ballast. When using the FEL or front mount snow blower for snow removal, rear tires filled and rear wheel weights are better than 3 point ballast when it comes to being able to steer when in float.

This is the biggest reason I have my rear tires filled and then minimize the 3 point ballast when plowing or blowing snow. I would also have rear wheel weights if it wouldn't be so hard to take them off and put them back on.

There is no exact amount of 3 point ballast that works for every application. When doing FEL work with stone and digging, then you want to have the maximum amount of rear 3 point ballast. In snow, you are better off with the weight on the rear wheels.

·
Registered
747 Posts

Ya pretty positive. I give the stick a good whack froward and can feel the extra click. The bucket drops on its own. Then i start driving and it kinda feel like it pulsates pushing down and then pushes down further on its own. It doesnt lift the tires high off the ground just enough to raise the front tires a few inches.

So, if you're sitting still with the tractor running and in float mode, will it lift the wheels or is it only happening while moving????

If you're pushing snow and the front end comes up.... when you stop moving forward, does the front end drop back down, or if you give it a little reverse pedal, does it drop?? Or does it stay up??

If it stays up, I'd say there maybe something wrong...

·
Premium Member
12,282 Posts
So, if you're sitting still with the tractor running and in float mode, will it lift the wheels or is it only happening while moving????
It only happens when moving forward.

If you're pushing snow and the front end comes up.... when you stop moving forward, does the front end drop back down, or if you give it a little reverse pedal, does it drop?? Or does it stay up??
Typically not. You have to raise the boom slightly to get the wheels back on the ground and then re-activate float if necessary. I've never tried going in reverse.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
It only happens when moving forward.

Typically not. You have to raise the boom slightly to get the wheels back on the ground and then re-activate float if necessary. I've never tried going in reverse.
Yea what he said. Only happens when driving forward.
Thanks!

·
Premium Member
2,133 Posts
As a little comparison, yesterday I moved about 4 ton of stone from one location to another. I didn't want to put the BH on so I hung my ballast box on which weighs in at 600 lb. plus I have an I-match.

With the FEL in float just dragging it on the driveway to get into the pile, the front tires come off the ground. When actually pushing into the pile of stone, if I wouldn't have pulled the SCV back into the center, the front tires will lift 8" off the surface.

When I am working with the FEL, I start in float so the FEL stays on the surface but then when the FEL starts to engage the pile of dirt or stone, I immediately pull the SCV back to center. This minimizes the lift of the front tires, albeit, they still lift some.

So, when doing this type of work, you have to work between float and centered. Float probably to start and then centered once your FEL finds its position. Of course this all depends on your terrain.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Looking at the loader there doesn't seam to have any limit stops except for the range of the piston in the lift cylinder. If you are plowing along in float and catch a curb or a drain you could damage the cylinders or piston. Take the loader out of float, put the bucket a inch above the surface until you are able to skim the ground with the loader bucket with out damaging the ground. Practice helps over time. You Tube has some good guys on there to teach you how to use your equipment. One channel I recommend is Dirt Monkey University. Stanley has a lot of good videos and there fun to watch. After all these years I still catch the ground once and while

·
Premium Member
251 Posts

This happened to me last year, the problem went away when using the edge tamers from https://r2manufacturing.com/ which is really the solution.

Eventually I just got the plow, but the edge tamers solved the problem, and they are a relatively cheap solution.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts