Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Quick question for you guys.....Purchasing a new 1025R next week. I plan the use the 1025R for my mowing around my property. There are some slopes on the property (hard to believe for FL) and really would like to know if the 1025R is suitable for this. I am currently using my X534 for mowing.
Thanks

·
Administrator
20,856 Posts
The one series is an excellent mower. It doesn't provide commercial equipment quality of cut, but pretty darn good. They handle slope fairly well unless the slopes are pretty steep. If your X534 mowed the slopes ok, so will the 1025R. Scalping can be an issue when creating hills or crossing ditches, the 60D mower being even more noticeable than the 54". It's not an issue if you mow higher or change your mowing patterns to compensate. If the X has the same size deck, then the scalping (if it did) would be similar.

I mower my hilly property with a one series and was quite happy. :good2:

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The one series is an excellent mower. It doesn't provide commercial equipment quality of cut, but pretty darn good. They handle slope fairly well unless the slopes are pretty steep. If your X534 mowed the slopes ok, so will the 1025R. Scalping can be an issue when creating hills or crossing ditches, the 60D mower being even more noticeable than the 54". It's not an issue if you mow higher or change your mowing patterns to compensate. If the X has the same size deck, then the scalping (if it did) would be similar.

I mower my hilly property with a one series and was quite happy. :good2:
Great info.....thanks

·
Registered
572 Posts
Excellent advice from dieselshadow.

Your biggest decision is which deck to purchase, the 54" or 60". There are some pros / cons to each. There are many threads to read here on the mower decks.

Both decks are dealer installed on your tractor. This installation & setup is critical to a quality cut as well as trouble free auto-connect operation. As diesel shadow stated, you'll need to set your gauge wheels correctly and you can read more about that here.

I currently mow with a 1025R and a 60" mmm. Most of my property is a slope, I have no issues.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Excellent advice from dieselshadow.

Your biggest decision is which deck to purchase, the 54" or 60". There are some pros / cons to each. There are many threads to read here on the mower decks.

Both decks are dealer installed on your tractor. This installation & setup is critical to a quality cut as well as trouble free auto-connect operation. As diesel shadow stated, you'll need to set your gauge wheels correctly and you can read more about that here.

I currently mow with a 1025R and a 60" mmm. Most of my property is a slope, I have no issues.
Thanks guys...purchasing with a 60D mmm. My X534 has a 54C deck on it now and I think there probably won't be too much of a difference as far as the scalping I get in a few areas.

Good point diesel shadow......I have read this and it will be something I need to learn quickly. Even the deck on my X took time to set up and adjust properly.

·
Registered
190 Posts
I have the 60D with autoconnect on my 1025R and a sloping ditch to the road on two sides of my lot along with other hilly areas. No problems and mows as good or better than my X475 it replaced with a 62" deck on it. I think you will be happy. Congrats on the purchase.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Thanks guys...purchasing with a 60D mmm. My X534 has a 54C deck on it now and I think there probably won't be too much of a difference as far as the scalping I get in a few areas.

Good point diesel shadow......I have read this and it will be something I need to learn quickly. Even the deck on my X took time to set up and adjust properly.
You'll love it!

I cut with my deck at the max height and don't even lower the rockshaft so i get as close to a 4" cut that i can. I also lower the guidewheels fully. I rarely ever scalp

·
Registered
913 Posts
You'll love it!

I cut with my deck at the max height and don't even lower the rockshaft so i get as close to a 4" cut that i can. I also lower the guidewheels fully. I rarely ever scalp
I do the same -I just leave the mower in the up and locked position. I'd really like to be able to mow my pastures at 5" or higher but have to accept the deck's maximum height cut is 4 inches My biggest complaint with the 60" deck has nothing to do with how it mows. It's that the deck is so heavy and unwieldly it is hard to move around for storage. I bought a "Deck Dolly" with plans to store it vertically like they show on their web site, but I can't physically lift the deck by myself to do that.

deckdolly2.jpg

·
Registered
178 Posts
FWIW

I have a 1025r with the 54" Autoconnect deck and mow weekly with mine. (However I do mow with my GT235 from time to time because it is still hooked to my Cyclone Rake and I like to bag when there is lots of crap in the yard) The mow quality on the 1025 is all about setting your guide wheels all to the same height. The one time I got finished mowing and could see uneven cut lines between swaths I thought "what did I do buying this thing". I went and looked at the mower and I had the guide wheels set wrong on one side.

My experience has been, dialing in the height and guide wheels and understanding how they work together is the difference between a good and poor mow job.

·
Registered
115 Posts
I have the 60" MMM, and it takes me approx 2 1/2 hours to mow 4 acres

Reactions: BigJim55

·
Registered
2,966 Posts
I'm not sure if you test drove the 1025, but if you didn't you will be really amazed at how tight these tractors turn. Very nimble, and definitely purchase the spin knob for the steering wheel.

·
Registered
178 Posts
I'm not sure if you test drove the 1025, but if you didn't you will be really amazed at how tight these tractors turn. Very nimble, and definitely purchase the spin knob for the steering wheel.
This. These tractors turn in an amazingly tight radius.

·
Registered
222 Posts
What's the deal with the spin knob? I just use my palm to turn the wheel - works just fine for me. Am I missing something?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1,130 Posts
What's the deal with the spin knob? I just use my palm to turn the wheel - works just fine for me. Am I missing something?

It's not only functionality , it's also the COOL factor .lol:bigbeer:

Reactions: Drifterbike

·
Registered
3,228 Posts

I also don't see the need. With power steering I just use one finger.
Also with my X540 the steering wheel never ends up in the same place twice. This is after making a turn and going back in a straight line. Otherwise I would have probably bought one.
Plus I'm always using my off hand for other things. Like working the lift lever, grabbing a drink or just hanging onto the handles mounted on the fender deck.

·
Administrator
20,856 Posts
Once you have a spinner, you'll be amazed at how much quicker a turn can be at the end of the row if you mow in patterns. If you mow by doing laps around the racetrack, you won't notice much. It's also very handy for loader work. It won't return to the same spot every time because the steering is 100% hydraulic with no mechanical link to the front wheels.

If you don't like it, it's two small bolts and $10.....

·
Registered
178 Posts
I thought I needed a spinner after moving from a GT235 to the 1025r because of the steering speed of power steering. I actually bought a JD one and tried to put it on, but it didn't install very well so I left it off. I have gotten used to the steering and now I don't need it.

·
Premium Member
259 Posts
I mow mine every time with my 1025R 60D. I think it does a fine job. My old mower was a Husqvarna zero turn. Man all that thing was good for was cutting grass but my 1025R will do just about everything I need to do on my few acres. I love it.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts